The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Introduction and lore driven cinematics?

Aertew
Aertew
✭✭✭✭
I was watching this since it was suggested to me in youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MUc-rQD8j0

It's basically an old WoW cinematic where you beat the lich king. Now it's not like I want a cinematic after every fight. But after defeating a boss would be cool. For example I beat the high priest in Blackwood and there could've been a cool cinematic after however instead it happens in-game. Now I'm not saying the in-game moments are bad. They are really good. However some things like defeating a story boss make it much more satisfying.

Again I don't want them over doing it. But mabye during the start and end of a quest line in expansions would be good.

• Jacen_Veron
    Jacen_Veron
    ✭✭✭
    The Elsweyr trailers are as close as it gets to that. (At least the first and last.) they are basically a cinematic retelling of the start of the Year of the Dragon and the End of the year long quest line, it just doesn’t play in-game, and the player isn’t present.

In terms of cinematic ends, the end of the OG main quest has a pretty satisfying finish to the boss fight. Its cinematic enough, especially with how limited the game was in animations at the time.

Aside from that, the end of the Dark Brotherhood is as close as this game has ever gotten to an interactive boss finish. It’s quite satisfying, despite being a generous QTE, and it makes me hope they’d implement it more in the future.

Despite this though, I feel that adding cinematics would take away from the immersive and interactive nature of the game. They wouldn’t add much to the game anyway, as our character would never be front and center and would have to be incredibly vague to account for any possible quests and choices we did and made, making it feel disconnected from anything and everything we just did.

Personally, the game should include more interactive in-game cinematics, similar to the end of DB. It would make story boss/sub-boss enemy kills more satisfying, especially after they are built up to be some big opponent and often just slapped aside with a flimsy light attack. Giving us a Blade of Woe-esque finisher move when a boss reaches critical (5%) or no health would give a more impactful feel to the big named enemies deaths while still giving us control over the situation (At least in story quests, putting this in World bosses, delves, and dungeons would be a nightmare). That’s the best compromise I can come up with without turning the game into something else entirely.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Elder Scrolls as a series largely does its "cool moments" in game, not as cinematics. Cinematics in the main games are reserved for when your character isn't doing something, such as when Azura congratulates the Nerevarine for beating Dagoth Ur or Martin Septim defeats Mehrunes Dagon while you stand there and watch.

It's a difference in style that may not appeal to everyone, but I firmly believe that the Elder Scrolls should stick to important moments happening in game. Cinematics that take away control of my character rip me right out the moment.
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Elder Scrolls as a series largely does its "cool moments" in game, not as cinematics. Cinematics in the main games are reserved for when your character isn't doing something, such as when Azura congratulates the Nerevarine for beating Dagoth Ur or Martin Septim defeats Mehrunes Dagon while you stand there and watch.

It's a difference in style that may not appeal to everyone, but I firmly believe that the Elder Scrolls should stick to important moments happening in game. Cinematics that take away control of my character rip me right out the moment.

I understabd that but if done right I feel like they can be way better than in-game moments, even if they RIP control out of the player.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not cinematics but more like what they did in Skyrim and expansions. It still shows it in game but you don't have control of your character - like when Alduin arrives when your head is on the chopping block

or when you meet Miraak in the Dragonborn expansion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wB531FZ2Mg

moments like in the Thieves Guilds quest when you get shot by a poison arrow and it takes you down
    Or when you fall after a building is toppled (go to 4:30)
    I'd be on board if they did more moments like that when it came to boss defeats and story moments

It'd also be nice if they could replicate what Bethesda did in Fallout 4 where more than one NPC could participate in a NPC/Player conversation. Get rid of those moments where you stop talking to one person so then you can then talk to the other person who's just three feet away.

Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdoPDUqMp9o