The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodil - performance question

NagualV
NagualV
✭✭✭✭
Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I was in cyrodil Friday evening, around 10PM. As far as I know, it was pop locked. I drew the "capture 3 towns" daily, and I noticed that there was a lot of action away from vlastrus, so I went there to capture it.

I experienced lag like I've never experienced before in this game. I play on a current gen PC/1440p/low graphics settings/high refresh/PCNA/~60-80pingfor eso.This was really the first time I decided to just go and solo a resource/town.

Everything was moving in slo-mo, skills took forever to fire,...it was like permanent "bullet-time". I flipped the flag, it was completely blue, and then I just waited. And waited. although everything had changed over, I didnt get credit for capturing the town. The flag was blue, the townsfolk were blue, but no credit for daily. I believe on the map it never flipped - it was always flagged, even though I waited quite a long time. Eventually, an AD group came, we fought, and I got killed.

Question- is it typical during primetime hours to get that much lag at a resource/town? Away from where the population is? Has anyone had similar experiences while doing something similar?

• WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have similar experiences in prime time, non prime time, it's just how cyrodiil is sadly
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had such issues. I play with

Whatever default screen 60 to 90 frames
    Latency usually around 80 to 90

To me sounds like you had momentary unstable connection.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a large fight happening somewhere on the map.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • shimm
    shimm
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty surprised by this… I play on PC-NA and there’s lag at the towns and resources all day… it’s almost worse than the lag at the big battles. Npc enemies will teleport, disappear and reappear and go from no health to full. Maybe this is by design to make it hard for one person to take towns/resources?
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    shimm wrote: »

Pretty surprised by this… I play on PC-NA and there’s lag at the towns and resources all day… it’s almost worse than the lag at the big battles. Npc enemies will teleport, disappear and reappear and go from no health to full. Maybe this is by design to make it hard for one person to take towns/resources?

The lag I experienced was far worse than typical lag around large battles during primetime. Since this is the first time I was soloing a resource/town, I just wanted to assess if it was a one time thing or something more prevalent.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the ping I get outside of Cyrodiil. Inside; I usually see 110-120 and then if I get near any enemy, player or NPC; it spikes to 200+.

I really think this game has issues with position tracking and it's puked on by it's constant in combat check between players who have healed or damaged each other from anywhere on the map.

@ZOS_GinaBruno is someone looking at position desync still? Could we also try making being in combat a timed debug that refreshes based on healing and damage?
  • spotzhopz
    spotzhopz
    ✭✭✭
    This kind of thing just makes me believe even more that the NPCs cause lag
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everyday run-of-the-mill lag can certainly account for all this when it really gets bad, but don't necessarily rule out a local issue either! What you're describing kinda sounds like it could be a hitch on your end, honestly. If your framerate is turning into a slideshow in certain environments and the interactions are delayed universally, that could well be a bottleneck with something in your setup. I've had local issues compound with lag to make it seem worse than it is, and getting my own stuff worked out did help significantly. But your mileage may vary.

Here's a few things you could try:

Get some form of Hardware Monitor app (Hardware Monitor is what I use, but even just the built-in Windows feature can work) and take a look at your various components when this is happening. Is your GPU maxed out, burning hot, spinning fans like it's prepping for takeoff? Your RAM usage topped out? CPU burning hot? etc. Just give everything the once-over to make sure nothing looks out-of-whack.

Toggle between Fullscreen, Windowed, and Windowed Fullscreen. Notice any difference? Some games / drivers / hardware combos can start fighting or whatever behind the scenes and grind your FPS to a halt. ESO has done this to me a few times in the past. Playing in the screen mode that works best for you can ease the burden on your hardware, and enhance your overall experience. But besides that, just toggling the modes around can help you identify if it's "a you problem" or "an ESO server problem" more definitively, which is obviously nice. You're mostly just trying to rule out problems on your machine, remember.

If you use addons, try toggling them all off and see how things run. (Highly recommend using the excellent Circonians Addon Selector addon for this! Way easier than having to manually click/unclick/reclick a zillion tiny checkboxes!) Reintroduce your must-haves a few at a time, and see if things bog down again. That'll illustrate pretty clearly what/where the problem is, if there is one here. If you find one that's causing hiccups but you really don't wanna live without it, check for updates, redownload a clean version, etc. just to be sure.

Then there's the obvious cliche PC tech support stuff -- turn it off and on again, make sure there's not an entire poodle's worth of hair and dirt in your case, re-seat and secure all connections, update applicable drivers, yada yada yada. A bit trite, perhaps, but that stuff hasn't been the go-to "did you try the basic stuff?" advice for computer fixing since like the 1700s for no reason! Don't wanna be that person who overlooks the obvious steps only to look like a tool later on, right?

Obviously doing any of this annoying stuff is totally up to you if you even wanna bother or not. But like I said, for me I was having slight issues on my own end, and fixing them took me from literally unplayable slideshow to annoying-but-bearable lagfest during primetime play sessions. No need to make bad server performance worse by playing through easily fixable local issues, is my thinking.

Either way, good luck! Cyrodiil is a LOT more fun when you can actually ... you know... play it and stuff. ;P