The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Guildies vs Dungeon Finder

coop500
coop500
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So, I hear a lot both ingame and in the forums that if you want a better experience running dungeons, run with guildies. Which makes sense on paper! Cause guildies generally have a community going on and probably work together in something like a family or whatnot, or at the very least they CARE about each other.

However... I noticed as I start to lean away from Dungeon Finder and trying to go towards guildies, I am finding my experience in dungeons to actually be WORSE. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I just unlucky and am in bad guilds or are guilds really not the answer?

For example, if I have to go AFK for a minute or two, I let my group know. In randoms, there's actually a good chance they WILL wait for me if I don't take too long. But with guildies? They have ALWAYS ditched me and even cleared the dungeon, in which I get no drops from cause I wasn't close enough. And I am not gone that long, a minute or two.

Then there's the guildies that are just, BAD, don't know their role, or mechanics, even recruiting them for easy content they're clueless and barely pulling 5K DPS. I don't mind this as much, but it does go back to the whole 'better experience in dungeon finder'.

And then there's guildies who gatekeep NORMAL DUNGEONS. If I don't have a vet ready build, then I get grilled about how my build even 'works' for NORMAL DUNGEONS and they won't even let me come along and are rude when I just tell them I'll go back to the finder. Like? What do you expect?

I could go on, but honestly all I've met guildie wise aside from a FEW good apples (cough, you know who you are~) are just, bad players or elitists or just VERY impatient who won't even wait a minute or two.
At this rate I am ready to toss in the towel for guilds and stick to running through the dungeon finder. My experience has actually been better there. Sure there's bad apples there too, but at least I don't have to worry about them after the dungeon is over.

What about you guys? I am genuinely curious if I am just having bad luck with guilds, because everyone seems to swear by guildies over randos and I am curious if there's anyone out there with my experience.
Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guildies are amazing and 9 times out of 10 any puglets I run with are zergers (either capable or not), completely incompetent dps or those that I just don't get along with for a variety of reasons. I get that for some people, the dungeon is the goal. For me, it's about the relationship with others. The content is secondary. I just don't get any sort of connection with someone who doesn't even say anything in chat at all. In about 3 days I'll have a companion that will likely be more talkative than most puglets and will at least go at a pace I'm comfortable with as well as do more damage than many others I typically see running dungeons.

Perhaps you have just been much more lucky than I have ever been with group finder... or my standards are way too high. That's possible as well.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With friends like those, who needs enemies, eh? :P

You're in bad guilds if people like you describe are the norm in them. Or you got unlucky in who you grouped up with.

What you describe should not be taken as normal. Find better guilds/friends.

What platform are you on?
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guilds just helps you narrow the field down to find like minded people whom you can befriend and stick too. It's like fishing in a smaller pond, but the fish you catch isn't necessarily different form somewhere else, until you find your favorite fishing spot.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    So, I hear a lot both ingame and in the forums that if you want a better experience running dungeons, run with guildies. Which makes sense on paper! Cause guildies generally have a community going on and probably work together in something like a family or whatnot, or at the very least they CARE about each other.

However... I noticed as I start to lean away from Dungeon Finder and trying to go towards guildies, I am finding my experience in dungeons to actually be WORSE. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I just unlucky and am in bad guilds or are guilds really not the answer?

For example, if I have to go AFK for a minute or two, I let my group know. In randoms, there's actually a good chance they WILL wait for me if I don't take too long. But with guildies? They have ALWAYS ditched me and even cleared the dungeon, in which I get no drops from cause I wasn't close enough. And I am not gone that long, a minute or two.

Then there's the guildies that are just, BAD, don't know their role, or mechanics, even recruiting them for easy content they're clueless and barely pulling 5K DPS. I don't mind this as much, but it does go back to the whole 'better experience in dungeon finder'.

And then there's guildies who gatekeep NORMAL DUNGEONS. If I don't have a vet ready build, then I get grilled about how my build even 'works' for NORMAL DUNGEONS and they won't even let me come along and are rude when I just tell them I'll go back to the finder. Like? What do you expect?

I could go on, but honestly all I've met guildie wise aside from a FEW good apples (cough, you know who you are~) are just, bad players or elitists or just VERY impatient who won't even wait a minute or two.
    At this rate I am ready to toss in the towel for guilds and stick to running through the dungeon finder. My experience has actually been better there. Sure there's bad apples there too, but at least I don't have to worry about them after the dungeon is over.

What about you guys? I am genuinely curious if I am just having bad luck with guilds, because everyone seems to swear by guildies over randos and I am curious if there's anyone out there with my experience.

What you describe is a crap guild.

Ditch it and find a proper one.

But....

If those guilds are not 'social' and describe themselves as score pushers/progression etc then you are probably the problem. But even if that's the case then the guild is still not a good fit so leaving and finding one more suited to your needs would be sensible.

Or make a guild yourself.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    With friends like those, who needs enemies, eh? :P

You're in bad guilds if people like you describe are the norm in them. Or you got unlucky in who you grouped up with.

What you describe should not be taken as normal. Find better guilds/friends.

What platform are you on?

PC NA and yeah I could go on about more bad examples in guilds but I didn't want the thread to be about that. I've tried so many guilds and they all felt kinda the same? Especially the ones that CLAIM to be nice or friendly or casual.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Souterain wrote: »

What you describe is a crap guild.

Ditch it and find a proper one.

But....

If those guilds are not 'social' and describe themselves as score pushers/progression etc then you are probably the problem. But even if that's the case then the guild is still not a good fit so leaving and finding one more suited to your needs would be sensible.

Or make a guild yourself.

I never join guilds that say they are hardcore or score pushers. I know better than that.

These are guilds that supposedly are friendly, casual and open minded.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My guildies are amazing and 9 times out of 10 any puglets I run with are zergers (either capable or not), completely incompetent dps or those that I just don't get along with for a variety of reasons. I get that for some people, the dungeon is the goal. For me, it's about the relationship with others. The content is secondary. I just don't get any sort of connection with someone who doesn't even say anything in chat at all. In about 3 days I'll have a companion that will likely be more talkative than most puglets and will at least go at a pace I'm comfortable with as well as do more damage than many others I typically see running dungeons.

Perhaps you have just been much more lucky than I have ever been with group finder... or my standards are way too high. That's possible as well.

Amusingly I have met some amazing folks in PUGs and had nice convos, sure not always, not even most of the time, but aside from ONE instance, and I actually met them first outside of guilds, all my 'guild runs' have been just rush through the dungeon, no talking, if you gotta pee then OH WELL YOU MISS BOSS DROPS.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only easy advice I can really think to offer is to just participate in chat more and feel people out before grouping, honestly. Be upfront about wanting a more casual and laid-back environments for NORMAL dungeons.

In my experience, people who are seeking the same thing are often too shy or whatever to come forward about it but they come pouring out of the woodwork when you are clear about wanting a non-1337 fun run or two. Usually I have to tell people "Sorry, we're full already!" when I'm looking for casual groups, actually. Even in zone chat, posts that are worded like "looking for filthy casuals to goof around in some random normals! easy peasy mode, nothing serious." or something along those lines always attract people pretty quickly/reliably. YMMV

Oh, and also maybe browse the guild finder? Look for ones that emphasize a casual or humorous tone. A lot of guilds are opened up for newcomers again, now that the Roster bug is (finally) fixed.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all my 'guild runs' have been just rush through the dungeon, no talking, if you gotta pee then OH WELL YOU MISS BOSS DROPS.

You fibber. Not ALL of them. 😆 Haha. 3 out of 4 players of the group being a part of the same guild is still a “guild run” in my opinion!

Nah, but seriously. We’re gonna find you a good guild. I truly know how frustrating and exhausting it can be to try to find a group of players you meld well with. I sent you a mail message in-game suggesting a guild to you, if you’d like to check them out.

If anyone knows of a friendly, chatty, busy (runs lots of dungeons, etc) guild with no dues on PC-NA, let us know in this thread! Or post a message on @coop500 ’s profile.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amusingly I have met some amazing folks in PUGs and had nice convos, sure not always, not even most of the time, but aside from ONE instance, and I actually met them first outside of guilds, all my 'guild runs' have been just rush through the dungeon, no talking, if you gotta pee then OH WELL YOU MISS BOSS DROPS.

Is it so urgent to go to the toilet? You could always try to hold it...

Or maybe drink less beer. 🤣
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Is it so urgent to go to the toilet? You could always try to hold it...

Or maybe drink less beer. 🤣

Or just pee your pants! A little multitasking never hurt anyone, right?

Side note: don't make a habit of holding your bladder for undue amounts of time. I learned from Jim Carrey that it can lead to erectile issues back in 1997! It's in a movie where he plays a lawyer, and lawyers am much smart, so it must be true!
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭

dont run with randoms oiut of a 500 man guild - cause thats pretty much the same as a random queue
    run dungoens with guildis u know / friends
  • ThePianist
    ThePianist
    ✭✭✭
    Vet content and it’s hm is designed to be puggable. If is a certain achievement like no death/speed run, then that requires more coordination and cooperation.

As a tank main, I’ve done every single vet content, hm, dungeon, arena or trial. No I have not done every single extra Hardmode such as no death runs/speed runs.

I’m still in the same hardcore trial guild. Everyone in that guild has proven that they can clear the content. It only becomes toxic when the hidden agenda of wanting to be in the leaderboards, gets pushed. I’ve told them many times, you guys have the dps, you just lack coordination and positioning. I’ve tanked every vet trial, like how many times do I have to link something in group chat or send a pic in discord to prove my point lol. It’s week 3 and they’re still trying to clear vet Sanctum lmao, an old forgotten trial.

I have moved on from hardcore tanking in trials, to casual tanking in pugs. Like what’s wrong with meeting new people that are friendly and not friendly? As with real life, you are bound to meet friendly and rude people m. Lol, you have no idea how many compliments I get from casual players. You can help them, the appreciation they give you is actually genuine, be friends with them and have fun/joyful conversations.

Other than that, there are boundaries I draw with people. No I’m not going to help you run Arx Corinium 50 times for an inferno Medusa or crash 300 times on the 7th stage of vet dragonstar arena.
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Have you ran your own guild? Or given guild leaders constructive criticism on how to improve the environment in the guild? We literally get 5 of them in this game. All guild have a leader, a close nit click(usually officers), a core of actives, a slew of casuals, and a host of old accounts because pruning is work. And they can have five hundred members! 3/4 of my Guilds have 75+ members during prime time. The 4th is my own guild that I use exclusively to teach new players as a eso boot camp, before I send them to the larger guilds.

So, not only do I reject the criticism of the guild system, but I must say communication and participation are the keys to happy guild life. Guilds are almost always the best answer for any question your gonna have. Need to use the head, get on the mic and let them know. Running a new build, get on the mic and let them know. 8 out of ten times I assure they will stop for you. And if they don't, them form your own guild and fill it with people that will.

Guilds are the greatest thing about eso and all mmos everywhere. And they are the best method of finding groups for the hardest content in game.... like fishing, so boring you need a guild for sanity sake.

[Edited to remove Rude Comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 30, 2021 1:22PM
  • ThePlayer
    ThePlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    In guilds if you ask for the classic 4 keys, this means veteran dungeons no dlc to finish in hm, you will find many people willing to do them and sometimes you may encounter players who are not exactly ready but ok.

The problem, at least for me, concerns the veteran dungeons dlc, in that case there are groups already formed for years/months and non one answer you back, if you are lucky you will find 1 DD...

However, I must say that the basic problem is not with the guild but with the game, the loot for dlc dungeons fails to pull enough players and many of these dlc dungeons are not so attractive in gear loot etc etc.

One of the reasons i left ESO+ is just that, wasted days to find the right group to complete the veteran dlcs (1 key) with all my alts (especially the DDs).
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody said that if you join a guild then you're guaranteed good experiences.

Being in a guild just makes it easier to form alliances. You still have to put in the work. Get a group who won't wait while you go for a slash... Don't run with them again. That guy was a good tank... Invite him next time. You will have to do this for a while before you end up with a pool of good, like-minded players.

You can, of course, do all this without joining a guild but it will just take longer.
  • supersonic_kitten
    supersonic_kitten
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I mean... If you needed to go to the bathroom that badly, you could've done it *before* the dungeon.

When you get a group from a pool of 500 (1000-1500-etc) guildies you are just getting a different version of a pug. It is the assumption that the reason you do this is to get into the dungeon as quick as possible (so no one has to sit in a queue) and to get it done as quick as possible (because the only reason people would do them, aside from specifically levelling new alts, are the daily rewards not the story or combat because let's be real in normals it's not particularly engaging). If you want a chill run where you can talk, goof around and have fun, you'd be better off getting people from your friendslist. :tongue: Now where you get those from is up to you! I met most of my friends that I now regularly run dungeons with in my trading guilds of all things. Anything is possible.
    Edited by supersonic_kitten on May 30, 2021 9:03AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guildies are better than PUGs... if and only if TWO prerequisites are actually fulfilled :

1/ You actually *know* them
    2/ You share similar views of working as a team (relaxed vs. competitive).

If those prerequisites are not fulfilled, you'll be more or less like in a PUG situation, with the extra annoyance that you will create a bad atmosphere and reputation for yourself and potentially the entire group; if the run ends up badly.

On a side note, going AFK for a minute or two during a dungeon run is NOT normal and completely disrespectful. It can occur as an exceptional situation and should be accepted as such, but doing so on a regular basis ... ? No offense, but I would not like to run with you, as PUG or guildie.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on May 30, 2021 10:34AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just too lazy to gather people. So I pug. Pugs, just like guildies, go into generally two bins. The one that says hello at the beginning of every dungeon (fun people) and ones that don't. I don't say hello.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    all my 'guild runs' have been just rush through the dungeon, no talking, if you gotta pee then OH WELL YOU MISS BOSS DROPS.

You fibber. Not ALL of them. 😆 Haha. 3 out of 4 players of the group being a part of the same guild is still a “guild run” in my opinion!

Nah, but seriously. We’re gonna find you a good guild. I truly know how frustrating and exhausting it can be to try to find a group of players you meld well with. I sent you a mail message in-game suggesting a guild to you, if you’d like to check them out.

If anyone knows of a friendly, chatty, busy (runs lots of dungeons, etc) guild with no dues on PC-NA, let us know in this thread! Or post a message on @coop500 ’s profile.

*I did say aside from one instance that was met outside of guilds first, that's you silly! Lol*