The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dps Help

FlyIgnite
FlyIgnite
Soul Shriven
I am trying everything i can, but i still cant get past the 15k dps mark on my magsorc. Ive looked up multiple builds and everything but i cant seem to hit the numbers these guys are pulling out while using the same abilities, and almost same gear.

Currently cp 390, wearing mothers sorrow set, and have a 5 tinkerer's pieces as a stand in, till i complete my medusa sets. All sets are gold with my armor having the divine trait on 3/5 armor and will 5/5 eventually. I am currently running the thief mundus.

I have looked at multiple guides and seen different skill sets which i have all tried, but when i try them out on the 3m training dummy, i am not cracking anything, dps doesnt go above 15k even on a simple one bar build.

At this point its aggravating to the point im just about to quit the game.
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    As many here will tell you, the short answer to your question is to practice light attack weaving: hitting LA and canceling the animation for it by using a skill immediately after. All the sites you're getting your builds from will also have guides to LA weaving. It takes a while to build up muscle memory for it but once you do, you'll be able to hit far over 15k parses.

There are a few more components to account for though. When people and guides post parse, they are using the Iron Atro trial dummy, which provides buffs and debuffs that will automatically increase your dps. Starting on a 3 mil dummy is fine to practice, but once your weaving is consistent, you'll want to look into practicing on a trial dummy. The easiest way to access one is through a guildmate/guildhall. There is also the new "Harrowing Reaper" dummy for sale now if you're willing to drop 6k crowns for it.

A few other things: I personally wouldn't recommend Tinkerer's as a stand in for Medusa's, as the proc for that set drives tanks crazy and proc sets in general will be nerfed next week for mag builds. Julianos is a quick stand in that requires zero farming, but there are plenty of other sets too. Note that golding out weapons is much more important than it is on armor, while golding jewelry has even less of an effect. Divines is helpful, but not as important as nailing your rotation and weaving, and I'd probably prioritize transmuting weapons, then jewelry, then armor.

Final point: keeping up dots and buffs is another important part of dps, and if you're on pc, I'd recommend using an addon that helps you do so. I personally use Action Duration Reminder, but there are many out there. And Combat Metrics is an extremely useful addon for reviewing your rotation after a fight.
    PC NA
  • FlyIgnite
    FlyIgnite
    Soul Shriven
    oterWitz wrote: »
    As many here will tell you, the short answer to your question is to practice light attack weaving: hitting LA and canceling the animation for it by using a skill immediately after. All the sites you're getting your builds from will also have guides to LA weaving. It takes a while to build up muscle memory for it but once you do, you'll be able to hit far over 15k parses.

There are a few more components to account for though. When people and guides post parse, they are using the Iron Atro trial dummy, which provides buffs and debuffs that will automatically increase your dps. Starting on a 3 mil dummy is fine to practice, but once your weaving is consistent, you'll want to look into practicing on a trial dummy. The easiest way to access one is through a guildmate/guildhall. There is also the new "Harrowing Reaper" dummy for sale now if you're willing to drop 6k crowns for it.

A few other things: I personally wouldn't recommend Tinkerer's as a stand in for Medusa's, as the proc for that set drives tanks crazy and proc sets in general will be nerfed next week for mag builds. Julianos is a quick stand in that requires zero farming, but there are plenty of other sets too. Note that golding out weapons is much more important than it is on armor, while golding jewelry has even less of an effect. Divines is helpful, but not as important as nailing your rotation and weaving, and I'd probably prioritize transmuting weapons, then jewelry, then armor.

Final point: keeping up dots and buffs is another important part of dps, and if you're on pc, I'd recommend using an addon that helps you do so. I personally use Action Duration Reminder, but there are many out there. And Combat Metrics is an extremely useful addon for reviewing your rotation after a fight.

I will definetly try out the julianos set, i origianlly got the tinkerers set for pvp, cause i enjoy the idea of sending guys flying every 8 seconds in battlegrounds xD
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably don’t have enough Spell Penetration to use the 3mil dummy effectively. Try Elemental Drain and Lover mundus stone, or switch to the 21mil dummy with debuffs applied.

There could be countless things wrong with the build, hard to say without seeing it. Are weapons and jewelry perfect traits, and enchanted with gold glyphs for max damage? What skills and rotation are you using? Do you have potions that give Major Prophecy and Major Sorcery, as well as the alchemy passive to extend their duration?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice above. I second Mother's Sorrow + Julianos. You could do worse than Slimecrawx2 or 2 mismatched +crit monster pieces. Thief is fine. Run Elemental Drain (or the other morph) for major breach and I like sharpened for more pen. You are trying to balance and have the following for soloing bosses: 18k pen (includes breach), +50% crit (major savagery from somewhere is helpful), a decent magicka pool and spell damage, while being able to sustain a rotation. LA weaving is indeed very helpful as well as practicing your rotation. My magsorc is no pets and most of her non-LA damage comes from Wall, Lightning Flood and Frags. The only dummy I use is the 3M so achieving 15k is not horrible. With refinement and practice, you can probably get that up some. I'm not great and can break 20k. I also don't build for parses; rather I build to survive, sustain and damage (in that order) as a soloist. 20k does not sound impressive and I do work to try and improve it but when I factor in my sorc's very high survivability and sustain when soloing world and dungeon bosses, I'm not disappointed.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos + Mothers Sorrow is good.
    Do a light attack in-between every ability. Cast crit surge, cast your ground dots (elemental blockade and lightning flood), cast a haunting curse, do a light attack -> force pulse spam and cast crystal frags whenever it procs.

Easy beginner rotation and should beat 15k dps.

You can also farm normal maelstrom for a destro staff to increase it even more.
    PS | EU