The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does Witch-Knight (set) not do what it's supposed to do?

ThePlacidHatter
ThePlacidHatter
✭✭✭
The set:
Witch-Knight’s Defiance
(2 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
(3 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
(4 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage
(5 items) Increases your Weapon Damage by 369 against enemies inflicted with a Poison Damage effect.

That 5 piece bonus looks like an easy way to get a chunky weapon damage boost on a stamina DK however, I'm not sure that it's actually working.
I just tested this on a trial dummy and the difference between having five piece of this set equipped and dropping one piece (without replacing it) seems almost within the margin of error.

Edited by ThePlacidHatter on May 28, 2021 11:48PM
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know as well as I farmed the crap out of this because I live for poison builds.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you’re proccing a poison status effect?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does it require taking "poison damage," which would be up 100% of the time on a stam DK? Or does it require the enemy be afflicted with the "poisoned status effect"? I do not know the uptime on that, but it is generally most likely to proc from poison glyphs and glyphs have a cooldown.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caveat: I have never used this set.

However, the set is telling you that a target must have a Poison DoT (e.g. Noxious Breath, Venom Arrow, etc.) active on them in order for the set effect to activate.

It has nothing to do with the Poisoned status effect or simply doing Direct Poison Damage.
  • ThePlacidHatter
    ThePlacidHatter
    ✭✭✭
    I have concluded this set is not working correctly.

Here are the results of a couple of tests.

My gear:
    5 piece Viper
    5 piece Witch-Knight
    2 piece Selene
    All purple

I did all of the following on a trial dummy.

In one test, I used Bloodthirsty (dual wield skill) 25 times. I then removed a piece of Witch-Knight (without replacing it with other armour) and used Bloodthirsty another 25 times.
    Viper deals "poison damage over 4 seconds" when dealing damage with a melee ability. This should have procced Witch-Knight.

With 5 piece of Witch-Knight, 25 uses of Bloodthirsty came to 433,858 damage.
    Dropping a piece of Witch-Knight, 25 uses of Bloodthirsty came to 417,142 damage.

As Dagoth suggested, I thought maybe it specifically requires the poisoned status effect (although it does not say this).
    To test this, I repeated the same test, but with 50 uses of Lethal Arrow, from bow abilities. Lethal Arrow states "...and applying the the Poisoned status effect".

For this test, I spammed Lethal Arrow as quickly as I could, to ensure the arrow was hitting the dummy while still poisoned.
    With 5 piece of Witch-Knight, 50 uses of Lethal Arrow did 708.698 damage.
    Dropping a piece of Witch-Knight, 50 uses of Lethal Arrow did 700,965 damage.

Looking at these results, it does not look like the 5 piece bonus of Witch-Knight is doing anything.
    Yes, 5 pieces technically did yield a tiny bit more damage in both cases however, this is well within margin of error and can easily be attributed to lower stamina and armour passive, as I did not replace the 5th piece with anything.

Please fix.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think a set can proc another set. So Viper would not proc Witch-Knight. Try something where your character ability is doing poison damage over time, not gear. Maybe Poison Arrow from the bow skill line?
  • ThePlacidHatter
    ThePlacidHatter
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I don't think a set can proc another set. So Viper would not proc Witch-Knight. Try something where your character ability is doing poison damage over time, not gear. Maybe Poison Arrow from the bow skill line?

I had tried this with Lethal Arrow which did not see a benefit. I just tried with Poison Injection and saw the same results.
    Edited by ThePlacidHatter on May 28, 2021 9:36AM
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, this set has always been more pvp oriented. You're probably not going to get a lot out of it in PvE, unless you're just doing it for rp or something.

This fella had posted a video about it a while back.

https://youtu.be/gWFZ80iFUyQ