Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Excavating yellow items: any hints?

DreamyLu
DreamyLu
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to excavate a yellow item. I already tried about 12 times by now (fortunately, foes are avoidable in that zone, so I can move from one location to the next safely). I always ran out of time. I try with shovels, without, I click madly... No way. It's so frustrating. Therefore my questions:
Is it possible at all? If yes, would any of you have some hints? Is it maybe reserved for players who can click at light speed? Or is there a part of luck into excavating those yellow items?

I will be happy with any feedback that could help me, because otherwise, since I can't click faster than what I did now, I will have no other choice than giving up yellow items.

Edited for an add: I've maxed both scrying & excavating
Edited by DreamyLu on May 26, 2021 9:23AM
I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I get you right, but you don't have to dig as fast as you can. You first check with the Augur where it indicates a green field and then you can carefully consider every use of brush, shovel, etc.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry if I didn't explain well. I try again: once I get the green square, next step is to clear off the earth to uncover the entire item. To do that, there is a limited amount of time available. And my problem is that no matter what I use (brush, shovel, combo of all, ...), I never click fast enough to have the item fully uncovered within the given time limit.
    Edited by DreamyLu on May 26, 2021 9:36AM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to click quickly, the timer shows how many times you've used your shovel and how often you can still use it. If you have found the antiquity/the green fields and the skill line excavating is fully developed, then it shouldn't be a problem to succeed, because with trowel and shovel you can always dig away several layers at once.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tend to go brush twice, then trowel (the one that just digs deep on one square), and repeat that. If I am close to the bottom, I will use the trowel on an adjacent block to get the deep dig, and keep going on the other square with the brush to build up the trowel again. I save the shovel (apologies if the wrong way round, the one that clears a thinner layer across multiple squares) for when I have uncovered the antiquity and am looking for bonus items

It helps alot to remember the shapes of the objects, so when you see a corner you know which way you are heading
    Soupy twist
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Key thing, it's not actually time.

It's "moves" or "clicks" if you like.

It's misleading, but don't rush it.

I suspect you're rushing and therefore not digging logically and wasting all your "moves".
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lean heavily on the large 3x3 area Shovel. Here's the method I follow:

- Locate the 3x3 zone where I want to dig down using the Auger,
    - Brush away the top layers in your chosen 3x3 zone so that they are all even -- aka the same layer/material (which will charge up the Shovel bar as you even the ground out),
    - Use the Shovel in the center of the area,
    - Brush down 4 layers in a single square touching (but outside of) the main dig area (to potentially uncover corners early that may extend outside the 3x3) which completely fills the charges again for the Shovel,
    - Shovel down again, Brush again, repeat until your 3x3 is fully uncovered (take care not to go too deep at once once you're nearing bottom; get to know those layer textures!)
    - You now know what shape and direction your box extends outside your 3x3 zone, so just Brush/Trowel your way through the dirt to get it all dug up. If you focused on the 3x3 and only adjacent squares, you'll have more than enough time.
    - You're done, congrats! 🎊 :smiley: 🎉

NEVER even start digging until you've Augerred at least two to four green squares, as it's just blind digging otherwise; you can just back out / quit a dig site and reactivate it again without having to redo the Scrying minigame, IIRC.

I've literally never run out of time on digs again once I really got in the groove of doing it this way, even on the hardest ones. I don't say that to brag, but trying to say that this method should work pretty much 100% of the time no matter what... unless I failed to explain something properly. I hope I worded it in a way that makes sense. If not, anyone should feel free to ask and I'll try to clarify further.

Good luck! :)

Edited by GreenHere on May 26, 2021 11:52AM
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for those descriptions. I will go test that in Artaeum on an easy one before to retry there where I have the yellow.

I always believed - wrongly it seems - that there is a time limit, because the text coming when it stops is always that I ran out of time. So yes, like said by Brrrofski I just madly click to uncover as much as I can fast fast fast.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    Thanks all for those descriptions. I will go test that in Artaeum on an easy one before to retry there where I have the yellow.

I always believed - wrongly it seems - that there is a time limit, because the text coming when it stops is always that I ran out of time. So yes, like said by Brrrofski I just madly click to uncover as much as I can fast fast fast.

Yes. That's an unfortunate interface choice on their part. What actually is the case that each click consumes 16 1/2 or so fictional minutes, and there's a timer showing how much fictional time you have left.

One tip -- if there's steam* coming up from a square, that square is not part of where the antiquity is. Between that and any green squares you hit in augury -- assuming you hit at least one -- you should have a pretty good idea where the antiquity could be. Plan a couple of 3x3 or almost that big areas where you plan to use the big shovel; use the brush to level them and later to drill down on individual squares outside your planned areas, and you should be fine.

*Or smoke/methane/however you interpret the swirly-gasses graphic.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on May 26, 2021 12:38PM
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, guess what? Thanks to your help guys, especially the detailed description from @GreenHere, I got my yellow and can happily go for next one now :D

Thanks All! <3

Edited for an add (there was a cross over): @FrancisCrawford , yes, I understood that now with the "time". I had totally failed to catch that before. Thanks too.
    Edited by DreamyLu on May 26, 2021 1:05PM
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    Ok, guess what? Thanks to your help guys, especially the detailed description from @GreenHere, I got my yellow and can happily go for next one now :D

Thanks All! <3

Edited for an add (there was a cross over): @FrancisCrawford , yes, I understood that now with the "time". I had totally failed to catch that before. Thanks too.

WOOHOO!! \o/

*high five*

Congrats! :smiley:
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    Lean heavily on the large 3x3 area Shovel.

Yes, I totally agree.

I never use the Trowel anymore as the 3x3 Shovel will undercover (use gently) LARGE areas and usually will get you BOTH bonus items (in a green dig there is just one bonus item, I believe, and if so the dig will end once you uncover the single bonus item).

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to use trowel on squares where I keep top layers without brushing. I do that mostly on the corners. And if layers remain after using it, that's squares I use to brush for "recharge" of the shovel. :)