Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Ayleid lore question

BlueRaven
BlueRaven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Ayleid were elves, right? Specifically they are a branched off race of the Altmer?

So why are they called Ayleid and not say Aylmer?
Edited by BlueRaven on May 24, 2021 9:01PM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know but the only similar name I can think of is Nereid. I don't think nereids have anything to do with Ayleids though but perhaps the name might be of similar origin or maybe it's a coincidence.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly they're came off Aldmer not Altmer, as they were just ones who remained on Summerset after others left to settle elsewhere (?). Anyway to the topic it's probably due to their will to distinguish themselves as higher ones abandoning the old name fully, might also have something to do with aldmeri language we know not much of as they were ones who preserved old ways of magic and culture, I'd also would like to know an actual translation (and hope it's not just wild elves, please).

Edit: quick search on teslore Reddit gave some good suggestions to think about
    Edited by colossalvoids on May 25, 2021 6:35AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly they're came off Aldmer not Altmer, as they were just ones who remained on Summerset after others left to settle elsewhere (?). Anyway to the topic it's probably due to their will to distinguish themselves as higher ones abandoning the old name fully, might also have something to do with aldmeri language we know not much of as they were ones who preserved old ways of magic and culture, I'd also would like to know an actual translation (and hope it's not just wild elves, please).

Edit: quick search on teslore Reddit gave some good suggestions to think about

That Reddit poet is really interesting! Thanks!