The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What class has the best aoe for CP grinding?

DontTread
DontTread
I want to create a class where I can aoe down large groups of mobs fast to grind CP. What class has the best aoe for CP grinding?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just gather the mobs up and nuke them with the destro staff ultimate, as in Skyreach?

I mean, I've had a lot of fun with Stam Sorc. Endless Hail, Caltrops, Hurricane, and Blade Cloak + AOE proc sets like Stormfist, Thunderbug and Syvarra's Scales isn't exactly the most efficient build, but it's solid for public dungeon farming.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like magicka Templar for this because of Puncturing Sweeps, but all classes can do it if you set them up with the appropriate AoE skills.
    Playing since beta...
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Class AoE skills are connected with various special bonuses and aspects. If you want pure DMG, then there is nothing better, then Destruction staff skills.

Lightning Ring deal probably most damage to large groups, however Unstable Wall of fire are more flexible.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DontTread wrote: »
    I want to create a class where I can aoe down large groups of mobs fast to grind CP. What class has the best aoe for CP grinding?

Do a search for Hack the Minotaur CP Grind build and gain enlightenment.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unstable wall of elements.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any class can, mag prob better with destro skills. Cleave is good for tougher content though.

If I'm wanting to burn big piles of mobs down though, I always go to my magtemp. You can't go wrong with jabs.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necromancer has insane ult gain while fighting multiple mobs, so my pick would be stamcro with blastbones, brawler, endless hail, caltrops plus Colossus ult. Beckoning Armor is also useful to pull in ranged adds.

With brawler you dont even have to run Pale Order so you can use Wild Hunt or Snow Treaders for better movement.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Draxund
    Draxund
    ✭✭✭
    Do a search for Hack the Minotaur CP Grind build and gain enlightenment.

This! Look up his "Grind God Builds" category; they are super fun!
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I have one char from each class, and none of them is more efficient than Imperial MDK. This guy burn everything around. And I am so sad that his low survivalibity not allows him to go to vet dung :(
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either mDK (spam Deep Wheeze) or Sorc (cast Endless Fury once then spam Elemental Ring). Warden Shalks also do good job.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc is pretty good and fun with Volcanic Run -> Daedric Tomb -> Elemental Ring combo.
    PS | EU
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar? I always lv with dolmen in Alikr. Maybe slightly slower but totally relaxed. You can eat or make phonecalls while doing it this way... If i remember correct my pure lv time from 1-50 was 6h (with all buffs).
    Edited by silver1surfer69 on May 13, 2021 1:40PM
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trick question. Best CP grinding is in BRP, and you really dont focus on AOE that much. You definitely prep AOE on some of the spawns, but it is actually a lot of single target. Mag Sorc is best for that IMO.

For more traditional AOE grinding, like skyreach or overland zombies, I think NB is really hard to beat. Between Sap for unlimited heals and Soul harvest for ridiculously fast ult for elemental rage, I dont think any class is better for mob farming. Especially considering you dont need a ROTP which gives room for Ring of Mara.
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    im having a hilarious setup on my stamplar. the build im running - Master weapon - Sword Singer - dead water - Meteor with fighter guild skill slotteded... its basically non stop Ult spam xD
    Edited by akredon_ESO on May 13, 2021 7:41PM
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    I burn mobs down with path, orbs and sap (magblade) it's super quick but I'm afraid that wouldn't work for a new char
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagBlade is by far the best option.

Combine the suggestions above. Path, Wall, Meteor backbar. Sap, Harvest and any 4 Assassination abilities frontbar.

With deadwaters guile and any damage oriented set on the body, you drop a meteor on every trashpull (6+ enemies).
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagBlade is by far the best option.

Combine the suggestions above. Path, Wall, Meteor backbar. Sap, Harvest and any 4 Assassination abilities frontbar.

With deadwaters guile and any damage oriented set on the body, you drop a meteor on every trashpull (6+ enemies).

Been meaning to mess with that set for a farming setup. You think meteor outweighs a destro ult. Every 10 kills would give you a destro with Dead water and Soul Harvest. In a place like skyreach, you could have several going at once. For overland grinding with smaller pulls, I could see meteor being the better option.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weighing one against the other is tricky.

With Shooting Star you need to stack only five enemies on the initial hit. You can even get away with four if you cast sap, chuck a potion and/or refresh the light attack ulti gen buff to run a bit longer, if the potion is still on cooldown.

With Lightning Rage, you need to stack eight to ten enemies, but you get more damage output. Meaning you can farm not just trash, but also the large double XP enemies for even more XP.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on May 15, 2021 7:11AM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it also very strongly depends on how tight one is able to stack enemies. And ranged enemies will be a problem with both Ulti options.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on May 15, 2021 7:20AM
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think about it...
    One could do everything of the above with a Stamina setup. The Ultimate morphes would be the same, of course.

You would run Dead Waters on the body, a good damage set with maces for maximising power and any two one pieces.
    Penetration would be lower, but weapon damage stacks higher, increasing the burst potential or rather the base damage.
    Plus, if one were to use a two handed backbar instead of the bow, you could use Stampede for higher mobility and precast Rally for easy access to Major Brutality, instead of relying on the NB class ability.

Hihi 😁 I think I know what i want to try next.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a seducer and Julianos training set for my magplar. I grind in Deshaan by silent mire. Rather than spend time running. Around to gather 3-4 mobs and nuke them all down I run mob to mob dropping 1 spear and 1 sweep and they all die. Most are 2-3 enemies only. Cast degen every 3rd mob for major sorcery IL front bar for major prophecy. It’s fast and effective.
  • Ahk1lleez
    Ahk1lleez
    ✭✭✭
    One could do everything of the above with a Stamina setup. The Ultimate morphes would be the same, of course.

You would run Dead Waters on the body, a good damage set with maces for maximising power and any two one pieces.
    Penetration would be lower, but weapon damage stacks higher, increasing the burst potential or rather the base damage.
    Plus, if one were to use a two handed backbar instead of the bow, you could use Stampede for higher mobility and precast Rally for easy access to Major Brutality, instead of relying on the NB class ability.

I just created this build without having read this post a couple nights ago on a Stam DK. With a Nord and decisive masters 2h front bar Corrosive is up on demand in Skyreach which means not having to build for penetration.
    Edited by Ahk1lleez on May 19, 2021 5:31PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahk1lleez wrote: »

I just created this build without having read this post a couple nights ago on a Stam DK. With a Nord and decisive masters 2h front bar Corrosive is up on demand in Skyreach which means not having to build for penetration.

I question whether that is really faster than other ultimate options. That is one of the biggest issues with a stam grind build, a lack of a good AOE ultimate. I am sure brawler + unlimated corrosive makes your darn near invinicble, but grinding is about speed not survival. I would rather die once in a while if it means killing 3 times as fast.
    I made a seducer and Julianos training set for my magplar. I grind in Deshaan by silent mire. Rather than spend time running. Around to gather 3-4 mobs and nuke them all down I run mob to mob dropping 1 spear and 1 sweep and they all die. Most are 2-3 enemies only. Cast degen every 3rd mob for major sorcery IL front bar for major prophecy. It’s fast and effective.

Same issues with this method. I am sure that you are great on resources and damage is okay, but killing 2-3 overland enemies at a time is not going to rack up the XP.

Do either have a good grasp on XP/Hour? That is the real metric. There are BRP strats that are 90% single target that have a theoretical limit of about 9 million XP an hour during double XP. I have never quite hit that person for a full hour because you have to be pretty much perfect with spawns and resets, but north of 7 mil/hour is easy.
  • Ahk1lleez
    Ahk1lleez
    ✭✭✭

I question whether that is really faster than other ultimate options. That is one of the biggest issues with a stam grind build, a lack of a good AOE ultimate. I am sure brawler + unlimated corrosive makes your darn near invinicble, but grinding is about speed not survival. I would rather die once in a while if it means killing 3 times as fast.

Same issues with this method. I am sure that you are great on resources and damage is okay, but killing 2-3 overland enemies at a time is not going to rack up the XP.

Do either have a good grasp on XP/Hour? That is the real metric. There are BRP strats that are 90% single target that have a theoretical limit of about 9 million XP an hour during double XP. I have never quite hit that person for a full hour because you have to be pretty much perfect with spawns and resets, but north of 7 mil/hour is easy.

You're right, it isn't faster than mag builds or viable for that BRP method. Titanic cleave with full pen from corrosive does pretty well though. It's one of those breaking the monotony type of builds for when you're tired of playing mag toons.

Edit: This build can clear Skyreach in 3:30-4 minutes. Again, it's not faster than your typical mag build...but it is a suitable alternative.

Edited by Ahk1lleez on May 19, 2021 9:48PM
  • hackdrag0n
    hackdrag0n
    ✭✭✭
    Warden. Shalks nuke trash packs.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To me it’s more than grinding pure experience. I choose the area specifically for several reasons. That area is full of heavy sacks, chests, psijic portals, rss nodes plus a doleman. It’s a one stop shop for many things. Whe you realize you have to grind all those things and your time is limited it’s an efficient and effective way to get everything you need an more.

I use the mats to upgrade equipment, sell trash items for gold, sell the MS jewely at traders from the doleman, sell any other MS gear there as well. If you run the loop a certain way you can go out and back and arrive right on time for doleman and repeat this several times over. After that clean out inventory and begin again.

This method has allowed me to remake several sets for all my toons rather than trading sets back and forth via my bank or coffers in my house so if I have to change a toon on the fly during a trial that’s all I have to do, log out and log in ready to go. 4 sets of gold MS, Medusa, Siroria, Zaan, domihaus, slimecraw, Zen’s on my DK, catalyst and MA for my Necro, 2 sets of acuity also. Stam toons both have gold Relequen, deadly, AY, VO, Briarheart, Selene, Domi and slimecraw as well.

The harder part is farming all the transmutes, thank goodness for the change a few patches ago. Which basically allows me to remake 1-2 pieces per day of whatever I want.