Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Any reason to craft CP160 gear as opposed to CP150? (Cost-benefit)

Tesman85
Tesman85
✭✭✭✭
I lately managed to get over 160 champion points, and started to craft gear for my lvl 50 characters. It was a bit of a surprise that CP160 gear takes ten times the materials than CP150 gear. When checking the difference in stats, it turns out that CP160 gear gives only about one percent more damage or armor, and gives only a negligible increase to trait stats when compared to CP150. In short, the difference between material consumption and actual improvement in quality is astounding and makes me wonder why on earth I should waste 10x materials to get a benefit of 1/100. Is there something that I have overlooked, that would justify the difference?

For context, I am not a competitive player for whom a fraction of a per cent matters, but a semi-casual for whom something viable suffices well enough. Also, I am aware that difference gets the bigger the more the item is improved, but even in gold items the stat difference between the levels isn't even 2 per cent, if this table is to be trusted: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Rubedite_Armor . So basically, what's the point of crafting CP160 gear?

Edited by Tesman85 on May 7, 2021 3:44PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can say you have cp160 gear, bonus points if you have it all golded.

I vaguely recall there's an achievement involved with your gear, but I don't know the details. Having that last .001% of difference is probably important to the PvP/trials min/maxers groups, but not really all that crucial to for fun pve players.
    Edited by JKorr on May 7, 2021 4:51PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only 160 gear I have is non-crafted. Not gonna waste mats.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

I vaguely recall there's an achievement involved with your gear, but I don't know the details. Having that last .001% of difference is probably important to the PvP/trials min/maxers groups, but not really all that crucial to for fun I've players.

IIRC there was an achievement for wearing a full set of golded gear, but it didn't say anything about gear level. But you're certainly right about the min/maxing. Rather like the difference between an F1 team and someone who just likes to cruise around in his car :lol: I can see how even a tiny difference in stats could affect leaderboard scores etc. But well, not so vital for us Sunday strollers.
    Edited by Tesman85 on May 7, 2021 4:58PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose for newer players there'd be far less reason. I'm sitting on 5 digit dragon hoard piles of all 160 mats. I decon a set and remake it often when I goof, and just shrug.

The stat difference is far greater than 1% efficacy, but not so much as to stop you from doing, say, base game vet dungeons smoothly and flawlessly. If you want to clear vMA, or do dlc dungeon clears on vet hardmode, you'd likely want to upgrade simply to make your job easier.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tesman85 wrote: »
    JKorr wrote: »

I vaguely recall there's an achievement involved with your gear, but I don't know the details. Having that last .001% of difference is probably important to the PvP/trials min/maxers groups, but not really all that crucial to for fun I've players.

IIRC there was an achievement for wearing a full set of golded gear, but it didn't say anything about gear level. But you're certainly right about the min/maxing. Rather like the difference between an F1 team and someone who just likes to cruise around in his car :lol: I can see how even a tiny difference in stats could affect leaderboard scores etc. But well, not so vital for us Sunday strollers.

I do gold my weapons, n but the armor? No so much. I did do one set for my very first character I made in the game; she's my main crafter, and will never be deleted. After all the research for armor, weapons, jewelry, motifs learned, recipes found and all the rest of it, she deserved a set of golded gear.
    Edited by JKorr on May 7, 2021 10:14PM
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I recently made training armor (after they raised the CP Max), I went with level 150 gear, purple. I use it with along with other sets, CP 160, for which I have the weapons and jewelry. Monster sets, also purple. I only gold out my weapons. Seems adequate for most purposes.
    Edited by DarcyMardin on May 10, 2021 6:46PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that the damage for weapons increases with each level. I guildmate told me the most important piece of gear is the weapon and it should always be gold quality. THey said there is a big boost to damage when gold.

That being the case I expect a CP150 weapon would be very inferior to a CP160 weapon. I suggest checking the numbers.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I have noticed that the damage for weapons increases with each level. I guildmate told me the most important piece of gear is the weapon and it should always be gold quality. THey said there is a big boost to damage when gold.

That being the case I expect a CP150 weapon would be very inferior to a CP160 weapon. I suggest checking the numbers.

I took a look, and it seems that a CP160 weapon does almost 10 per ecent more damage (one-handed 1235 vs 1335, two-handed 1453 vs 1571): https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Rubedite_Weapons . So it looks like crafting CP160 is somewhat more sensible with weapons. Still, the material consumption is skewed, but at least the damage difference is noticeable. And I could see how at least PvPers would want this kind of edge.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since you are sticking to your Cp160 stuff like forever and mats are not really expensive why not make the best gear you can.
    I'm running around with the same gear for years now, so I guess the investment in golden upgrades did pay off over time.

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What server are you on?

If you're on xbox EU I can sort you out with the materials.

My main question is though, what so you plan to do? If it's just questing etc, then cp150 is fine.

If you plan on doing veteran dungeons etc, then dropped gear is probably better. Have a look at builds and see the sets they suggest.

But for instance, magica mother's sorrow is your first go to set and is dropped in Deshaan, So you can easily farm it yourself. You can also combine it with spinners for now, which is farmed in Malabol tor. You can then use these to join normal dungeon or trial groups to get sets like Medusa, siroria and false god.

Same with stam - broarheart and spriggans is good to farm solo, Wich you can then use to join normals and get vicious ophidian, kinras, relegquen, beserking warrior etc.

You can also use CP 150 crafted gear to do that normal content too. It won't make too much difference. Can do normal maelstrom with that stuff too probably.

You should be able to make cp160 weapons though. Metal and wood are really cheap to buy off guild traders. So is leather to be honest, for medium. Only semi expensive stuff is silk and platinum. This is on xbox eu though, but I imagine it's similar on other servers.

Try to get your gear to purple at least. For gold, focus on getting weapons gold, rest is not a huge deal. You'll probably want to play around with setups for a while anyway.
    Edited by Brrrofski on May 10, 2021 8:20AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most noticeable difference are weapons, you want at least purple quality. For purple the difference between CP150-160 are pretty small but if you plan on making weapons gold it diffidently should be CP160.

Purple CP150 staff: 1120 SD
    Purple CP160 staff: 1132 SD (+12)

Gold CP150 staff: 1235 SD (+115)
    Gold CP160 staff: 1335 SD (+215)

You have SD buffs like minor and major sorcery so 215 extra SD ends up being 277 SD which is close to a 5-piece bonus.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most noticeable difference are weapons, you want at least purple quality. For purple the difference between CP150-160 are pretty small but if you plan on making weapons gold it diffidently should be CP160.

You have SD buffs like minor and major sorcery so 215 extra SD ends up being 277 SD which is close to a 5-piece bonus.

And for the numbers, that's almost a 20% increase (from purple) for about 20k. Upgrading staffs to "golden" is rather cheap - expect golden cloth upgrade to be about 60k, jewelry - don't ask (aka "beyond belief" 8)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haenk wrote: »

And for the numbers, that's almost a 20% increase (from purple) for about 20k. Upgrading staffs to "golden" is rather cheap - expect golden cloth upgrade to be about 60k, jewelry - don't ask (aka "beyond belief" 8)

Yeh, golding out jewellery right now on xbox eu will set you back 360-400k...

So avoid that for now. Weapons gold first if you can.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    What server are you on?

If you're on xbox EU I can sort you out with the materials.

Thank you for the offer, but I actually have thousands of every material (and play on PC EU, to boot). I was only wondering this from purely cost-benefit viewpoint. That view may be skewed by the fact that I'm mostly questing and doing easier group content like world bosses.

I'm planning to try some harder group content like DLC dungeons, though, but don't expect to be among the best ever. That's because I'm not that competitive and have time constraints about training my player skills. Being adequate enough so as to not be a hindrance to others is the extent of my ambition there.

This discussion has illuminated the issue nicely, however. For instance, I now see how it might be useful to make weapons CP160 level even for a non-hardcore player. On the other hand, I like to tinker with crafted sets to see which combinations work well, so making armour CP160 would burn through those thousands of materials rather too quickly.

So, it looks like that for my playstyle and goals it would be best to buy/transmute/farm some good CP160 overland sets and combine them with crafted set CP150 armour for maximum effectiveness/work/cost ratio. Depending on the character, of course, it could all overland, all crafted set, or one of each.
    Edited by Tesman85 on May 10, 2021 5:53PM
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never tested it, but equipment below 160 CP loosing 2-3% of stats & bonuses for every level of difference between them & char.

But as I said, I never tested it on a CP level, only seen the impact of difference during leveling chars below 50 lvl.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ultimately for me, the expense of the increased raw materials is so much lower than the cost of upgrading items that it doesn't make sense to skimp on the item level for any gear set I'll be using at all seriously.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at it this way: one survey lets me me make CP160 instead of CP150. That's worth doing.
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once you've been playing the game for a while at CP 160+ you will be swimming in mats, and if you look at what they cost on traders, you will see the base mats aren't worth that much anyhow. If you aren't pushing hard group content it probably doesn't matter, but the cost difference is a lot more minor then you think.
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Refined ruby tier mats are relatively cheap to buy from guild traders, and like someone else said, one survey is usually enough to cover it at no cost. Not sure why anyone who reaches CP160 feels they need to be this frugal.
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Ultimately for me, the expense of the increased raw materials is so much lower than the cost of upgrading items that it doesn't make sense to skimp on the item level for any gear set I'll be using at all seriously.

Right. The real expense is upgrading them which would be the same for CP150 and CP160. By comparison, making gear CP160 isn't that bad, so why skimp there? It's your gear you're using to play the game. Do things that make life better for yourself.

PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably not. There is so much that goes into gear, PVE or PVP, group or solo, veteran engame, etc.

Two sets of crafted gear, Julianos and Hundlings, are fairly standard for players who do not have trials or dungeon gear but want decent gear for PVE DPS. But its so easy to get trials or dungeon gear that will outperform those sets, the cost to craft level 160 is not worth it.

I know some people don't want to run group content, therefore can't get sets like Relequen or Medusa or some of the other top-performing sets. But if you aren't going to run that content, you also don't need 160 level crafted gear
    Edited by El_Borracho on May 20, 2021 9:21PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's end game gear. The point of the 10x is to make it mean something. Sure it's only a few % gain but that's the point I guess.

If you chilling clearing overland it's not worth it .

PvPing or harder Vet stuff, vMA score runs etc every little helps right. Marginal gains all stack up .

As you progress you will see mats aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. Most CP160 gear I make folks for free (bar Golding it)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    With so many 160 sets being drop sets that supercede crafted sets you will be hard pressed to find ones that make an impact to craft. Julionos and Hundings TBS maybe depending on your build? It can be a work in progress mix 160 w 150. Start with items that make the biggest impact. Chests, legs. You'll likely be wearing monster helm and shoulders so we are talking 5 armor pieces total. Get jewelry/monster items from the golden and pair it with a weapon and you have two complete sets. If you don't have the mats to do a full set of crafted 160 gear you probably aren't breaking down enough loot or farming mats along the way while you are leveling up.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."