The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to fix the high damage tank meta forever

Ranger209
Ranger209
✭✭✭✭✭
Perform all damage calculations as they currently are and then at the end perform one additional calculation. Current Damage/(HP/20,000) Adding this calculation to the end of it all would take someone with 40k health and cut their damage in half. It would make someone with 20k health do the same damage. At the same time it would give someone running 15k health an increase of 33% to their damage actually creating a glass cannon build viability. Someone with 60k health would only do a third of the damage. Procs would work in the same way so that the more health you had the less proc damage you could achieve, which is really what got me started thinking down this path. This is really the only way to directly inversely affect damage and HP. It is a great way to balance the risk/reward factor of running high health or low health builds in regards to how much damage you can achieve.
Edited by Ranger209 on May 10, 2021 5:27PM
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hard cap HP at 30k

Ban warden and necro
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still taunted by the last tank you met huh? :)
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would really benefit classes that have spell shields.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Regens are the main problem. It's a good thing they are cutting health regen in half, but all regens should be capped at 2k. The healing vs damage is out of control and getting regens under control would solve a lot of that. They should not simply cut it in half but make regens have diminishing return until the 2k hard cap. We would actully have to manage resources again

First get regens and heal stacking under control. Then damage can be balanced to give better gameplay.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on May 11, 2021 4:30AM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No thank you. Don't see this as the answer either.

Stay safe and enjoy the journey 😊

PS. ZOS stop the micromanagement of the green tree 🥺
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually the only way to balance that is a drastic change to scaling of all damaging and healing skills.
    When you have a skill with (1k base dmg/heal + 0,3*offensive attribute) it's just encourage you to stack hp/resists and forget about actual offensive, on top of that it will be boosted much more with CP.
    BUT if your skill has (100 base + 1,2*attribute ) tooltip you can't build defensive without becoming bag of meat
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Diminishing returns" - could be the answer to this.

ZOS already took a step in the right direction with the changes to armor types (light/medium/heavy).
    Maybe ZOS could add a diminishing return for when you exceed a set amount of max resource value (health/stamina/magicka) or damage value (penetration/spell damage/weapon damage) or resistance level, or regeneration level (health/stamina/magicka regeneration).

For example, when your health > 30,000* then another stat is reduced by x%.
    Or when your weapon (or spell) damage > 4,000* then another stat is reduced by x%.

* These numbers are just arbitrarily chosen and are only illustrative
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than penalize possibly balanced builds, they could just reduce base damage and then increase scaling that mag/stam and weapon/spell damage from sets provide as the proficiency of damage stat sets do not seem to balance

I would still be careful asking for it though. When you get into large fights, which is supposed to be a big draw of Cyrodiil whether it works well or not; you would wind up with a very low TTK and sheer numbers begin to matter more.
    Edited by techyeshic on May 12, 2021 10:51AM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion which I've shared many a times is institute a damage nerf for each heavy armor piece worn on the board, increasing exponentially the more you have. While yes you can still wear something like brass on your weapons and jewelry, without the massive increase you get from heavy pieces + the passives you are still reasonably killable.

Tanks should exist in Cyro. They are great for wrangling NPCs, running siege, carrying scrolls and hammers, etc. But someone with 30K+ resistances because they're wearing heavy armor should not be able to match my execute in all medium or all light. I don't blame people for doing this, because there's a pressure that if everyone else is running around with heavy armor wardens then I guess you have to, as well. Currently XB NA is plagued by groups of warden tanks that individually can't kill you, but they all spam sub and spin while being nearly unkillable on their own, even with damage stacking from multiple people.

I think max health would be another way to scale damage. More health less damage.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider adding more sources of max HP based healing!

This encourages a fun and highly skilled PvP environment.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    adding more Healing absorption debuffs to abilities would go al ong way to helping kill the tank meta.
    throw in the ability to burn magicka resources directly using specific abilities and suddenly tanking becomes risky if someone is setup for it.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    They will cut health regen in half. That will solve some of the issue as health regen stacking is really bad for gameplay.

But they should put a hard cap on all regens at 2k and a diminishing return soft cap from 1k. That will take care of the bloated regen stacking, removing resource management from the game. For PvP... for PvE the current system is fine.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on May 14, 2021 1:08AM
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »
    for PvE the current system is fine.
    It's no near fine. Tanks shouldn't be able to tank DLC vets without healer
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andre_Noir wrote: »

As someone who used to main tank sweaty trial guilds and has burned through all vet hard modes, this is absolutely true. I feel bad for my PVE healer friends who basically have to beg people to get into runs because they "aren't needed."
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Andre_Noir wrote: »

Well I agree... I just mean the mobs aren't going to complain about the meta.

But yeah, when you tank up even PvE ia broken. Which means for balance they'd have to do so for the meta, making the content unplayable outside of that.. so I agree. It just isn't as infuriatingly lame as it is in PvP.