The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Weapon Skill Line: Spear.

TwiceBornStar
TwiceBornStar
✭✭✭✭
I want to play a Templar, I really do. But.. Where's my spear? I have a staff? Really? That's no good. I need a spear. I'm a warrior. Warriors need spears. So be a good weaponsmith and make me a spear, will you? I'll be very grateful and as happy as a Jerboa.

Why not?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jab?
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about Jab? I'm a stamina Templar. So I'm walking around with one-handed and shield. Pretty much because there's no spear to be found anywhere in Vvardenfell. (But apparantly Vivec has one in his possession, or so I'm told!) So here I am, with a shiny sword and a shiny shield in my hands, which both vanish into thin air whenever I use Biting Jabs. Dude, this cannot go on. This will not stand?

Come on. At least tell me why there will be no spear. Ever.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Jabs are the spear.
    "Launch a relentless assault, striking enemies in front of you four times with your Aedric spear. The spear deals x Physical Damage to the closest enemy and x Physical Damage to all other enemies. Each strike reduces the Movement Speed of the closest enemy by 40% for 1 second. Activating this ability grants you Major Savagery, increasing your Weapon Critical rating by 2629 for 8 seconds."
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont want any teenage Pop music in Elder Scrolls Games.
    That seems kinda Miss Placed.

😂
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of a spear has been thrown around a few times, as a dedicated weapon type.

Always liked the idea, thought it would be a cool hybrid weapon for casters and stamina based.

Coincidentally the idea is often turned down by the community because templar spears already exist. But to me the 2 are quite different. A physical spear and a magical spear of holy light are quite different in both style and function.
    Edited by validifyedneb18_ESO on December 31, 2020 6:35PM
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coincidentally the idea is often turned down by the community because templar spears already exist.
    Well... NB has Bow (grim focus) and Sorc has Daggers (Bound Armaments), and yet those weapons are weapon skill lines too... So no reason for Spear or Polearm weapon not to be as a separate weapon skill line too. In fact I actually think that I would like to have a spear on my Templar as a weapon, not only an "animation" on 2 skills.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar used the outfit station to have both her staves use the High Elf 1 style - which looks very much like a spear. So her staves, jabs and thrown magical spears all look like magical spears.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on January 4, 2021 8:23PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Amarthiul
    Amarthiul
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather a Spear be added to the list of 2H weapons. Make it add weapon crit like Daggers do on DW.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bear in mind that the likelihood of a new weapon type such as a Spear is unlikely due to the number of motifs that exist in game that would require the creation of new assets. (Sure, they could just stick daggers on top of staff poles, but that wouldn’t exactly work for all motifs.). At least, new weapon types are unlikely while options that require less asset creation, such as unarmed, sword&rune, and single-wield, remain unused.

Not saying it isn’t a good idea or not, just pointing out the factors that affect its likelihood.
  • Vignar_Giantsbane
    Vignar_Giantsbane
    ✭✭✭
    YAAAAAS Morrowind Vibes lol
  • lyx10679
    lyx10679
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that the likelihood of a new weapon type such as a Spear is unlikely due to the number of motifs that exist in game that would require the creation of new assets. (Sure, they could just stick daggers on top of staff poles, but that wouldn’t exactly work for all motifs.). At least, new weapon types are unlikely while options that require less asset creation, such as unarmed, sword&rune, and single-wield, remain unused.

Not saying it isn’t a good idea or not, just pointing out the factors that affect its likelihood.

I agree with @ealdwin that the extra motifs could be a challenge to implement. I would also think that the spear would fall under the Two-Handed skill and I cannot even fathom what bonuses that would come into play especially under the Heavy Weapon passive. Since all the other two-handed weapons have the other bonuses, the spear is left with crit chance as a possible bonus. I wonder what a Heavy Attack would look like for a spear. I think medieval weapon master would agree that the spear is used against mounted attacks or at least so that you are not close to the target.

Since the magical spear is a Templar-only skill, making a craftable weapon like an actual spear would probably defeat the purpose of having a unique skill like Jab.

Another thing would be how the spear would look if you were to hold it. Will you be running around with a spear in both hands? How much taller would the spear be in relation to your toon's head? I think an elegant looking Altmer would look out of place holding a spear. How about when the spear is stowed? It would look strange in my opinion.

I don't think it is a bad idea but realistically it would be harder to implement in motifs and combat in general.
    Platform: PC/NA - CP 500+

Character Roster:
    Ebonheart Pact: Kelvinia Telvanni - Dunmer Mag DK, Arenwe Direnni - Altmer Magsorc
    Aldmeri Dominion: Shalana-el-Kemel - Khajit Stamblade, Ithanarth Woodwalker - Bosmer Stam Warden
    Daggerfall Covenant: Reman Cyrolius Septim - Imperial Stamplar, Marcel Motierre - Breton Mag Necromancer
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently studying to become a software developer in the not-so-distant future, and I can tell you from personal experience that it's quite possible to create a spear.

2021 - The Year Of The Spear. (I swear I'm not obsessed with it!)

How did that giant mudcrab in Vvardenfell got itself slain again? Oh, that's right. By a Hleran. With a spear! I already have an amazing idea for all the Warrior-Poets out there: The Shakespear!

You know you want to create a new weapon skill line. A spear. Tamriel, as well as Imperials, simply cannot go on without spears. It's just not right. Everybody can see an imperial needs to charge with a spear. It's practically begging me to equip it with a spear. It looks super-depressed without it.

Thank you for entertaining this thought!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spears? Please!

morrowind1b.jpg

Edit: Dang it, I got so excited for Spears I didn't even realize this was a thread necro from Dec 2020!
    211kd3.jpg
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 7, 2021 1:49AM
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW they already have spears and combat animation for spears programmed in. Look at all the Argonian troops in Black Marsh lined up and waving their pointy sticks at people...they are plotting something with their superior weaponry I just know it.
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

Jabs are the spear.
    "Launch a relentless assault, striking enemies in front of you four times with your Aedric spear. The spear deals x Physical Damage to the closest enemy and x Physical Damage to all other enemies. Each strike reduces the Movement Speed of the closest enemy by 40% for 1 second. Activating this ability grants you Major Savagery, increasing your Weapon Critical rating by 2629 for 8 seconds."

That's not a spear. That's an ability. I want a spear. With a Weapon Skill Line attached to it. Yes please! Thank you.
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    lyx10679 wrote: »
    I agree with @ealdwin that the extra motifs could be a challenge to implement. I would also think that the spear would fall under the Two-Handed skill and I cannot even fathom what bonuses that would come into play especially under the Heavy Weapon passive.

I would imagine something inbetween the bow and the greatsword.
    Since all the other two-handed weapons have the other bonuses, the spear is left with crit chance as a possible bonus.

Or a bit of both? Why not? Be creative!
    I wonder what a Heavy Attack would look like for a spear. I think medieval weapon master would agree that the spear is used against mounted attacks or at least so that you are not close to the target.

Maybe you would put your best foot forward, lean back and hurl that spear towards its target?
    Since the magical spear is a Templar-only skill, making a craftable weapon like an actual spear would probably defeat the purpose of having a unique skill like Jab.

No, it wouldn't. Jab isn't a spear. It's a Templar ability. That's fine.
    Another thing would be how the spear would look if you were to hold it. Will you be running around with a spear in both hands? How much taller would the spear be in relation to your toon's head? I think an elegant looking Altmer would look out of place holding a spear. How about when the spear is stowed? It would look strange in my opinion.

No, your character would hold it very much the same way it's holding a staff.
    I don't think it is a bad idea but realistically it would be harder to implement in motifs and combat in general.

Well, if it saves time, they could borrow a few animations from the Templar, minus all the light-effects. I don't think it's all that complicated?

*staring at the clock, hoping maintenance will soon be over*
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if there’s an ability in the skill line that allows you to throw your spear for double damage but then you have to walk over and remove it from the enemy to reutilze the skill line?

At work not caring about extended maintenance
    Edited by Mythreindeer on May 17, 2021 5:56PM
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    What if there’s an ability in the skill line that allows you to throw your spear for double damage but then you have to walk over and remove it from the enemy to reutilze the skill line?

Oh, we are going to be like that eh? Well, what if people with the Bow Skill Line only had like 40 arrows on their backs? Endless Hail my ass!

*smiles*

• sMuggle
    sMuggle
    ✭✭✭
    Cadwell Greatsword, done.. Next, Scepters as option for magicka (staff) users?

Cadwell-Greatsword-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Cadwell-Greatsword-1.jpg
    Edited by sMuggle on May 17, 2021 6:22PM
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    sMuggle wrote: »

That's not a spear. That's not even a greatsword. And not a great sword either. That's a barbecue fork.

*chasing all these anti-spear crusaders out of his thread*

• tenryuta
    tenryuta
    ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally the idea is often turned down by the community because templar spears already exist.
    Well... NB has Bow (grim focus) and Sorc has Daggers (Bound Armaments), and yet those weapons are weapon skill lines too... So no reason for Spear or Polearm weapon not to be as a separate weapon skill line too. In fact I actually think that I would like to have a spear on my Templar as a weapon, not only an "animation" on 2 skills.

except temp has a whole tree dedicated to spears. zos would have to redo the tree as physical and not aedric and give temp a new 3rd skill line to make it work, so just use temp and spam those aoes.
  • tenryuta
    tenryuta
    ✭✭✭

Cadwell-Greatsword-1.jpg

spellsword first, i and i think 1 or 2 more people have the solution to make it easier for devs(coders not modelers). as of now using a dagger/shield that looks like an artifice/relic only goes so far.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cadwell-Greatsword-1.jpg

Bikini wax
  • sMuggle
    sMuggle
    ✭✭✭

That's not a spear. That's not even a greatsword. And not a great sword either. That's a barbecue fork.

*chasing all these anti-spear crusaders out of his thread*

It's called a Skewer aka Spear aka Javelin...Also note, Crusaders aka Templars, use PoleArms (aka Scythes, Bardiche, Glaive, Quaterstaff, Voulge, PoleAxe, Jousting lances.)

Edited by sMuggle on May 18, 2021 4:43AM
  • sMuggle
    sMuggle
    ✭✭✭

Edited by sMuggle on May 18, 2021 4:39AM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as already mentioned, super cheap High Elf 1 staff motif (or its blue book?) looks like spear. I use it on all my mag toons.

Altmer-Maple-Staff.jpg
    Edited by mocap on May 18, 2021 5:55AM
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote no. Think outside the box. What could you put in a spear line that is not already taken up by either dual wield or Aedric SPEAR line? Think of something new and original like One Hand and Hand Chain. A new hybrid weapon skill line.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to play a Templar, I really do. But.. Where's my spear? I have a staff? Really? That's no good. I need a spear. I'm a warrior. Warriors need spears. So be a good weaponsmith and make me a spear, will you? I'll be very grateful and as happy as a Jerboa.

Why not?

I have actually had a change of heart. I still stand by not having a spear line, however I do think that a POLEARM skill line would work. As you could now include spears and halberds and have them confer different bonuses like much of the other weapon trees.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spears would be cool, they've been suggested before and I always like the idea.

It would be cool too if a wep type was added that blended melee combat with magic enchantments/enhancements and the occasional attack (melee battle mage if you will), spear has always been one of the contenders for that - alongside 1h and rune ofc..
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have actually had a change of heart. I still stand by not having a spear line, however I do think that a POLEARM skill line would work. As you could now include spears and halberds and have them confer different bonuses like much of the other weapon trees.

Polearms are just spears with swords ducktaped to the end. but +1 for the idea :P Polearms would be cool and more open to different transmog models too