Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac crashes

ngoff2
ngoff2
Soul Shriven
I’ve read a lot of different issues circulating the Mac version of the game, but I’ll relay my current issues post-update. I run the M1 MacBook Pro and initially the game ran smoothly, I was able to complete everything (so I thought) with the exception of using the dungeon finder. Every attempt I made would let me join a group, then the dungeon would begin to load and immediately crash (take me back to launcher). I reloaded the game and attempted to teleport to the players in the group, which worked one time out of about 20, but every other attempt the game crashed. Today (May 5th) I repaired the launcher and turned off all add on’s, lowered the graphic settings and followed all available instructions provided by ZOS and the community. Now, not only can I still not enter a dungeon via the dungeon finder, I also cannot enter delves (whereas initially I could at least go delving). This game has saved my life multiple times as a stress outlet and I have rekindled my love for it through this Mac version as it blows the console edition out of the water. I just hope that it will eventually be fully functional.
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on May 6, 2021 12:21PM
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we will not be porting ESO to run on the new ARM-based Macs. ESO will continue to run on Intel-based Macs, and we will support it as long as there is a large enough Mac user base to warrant it. While it will be technically possible to run ESO via x86 emulation on the new Macs, expect a subpar gaming experience that we will not officially support.
    Source: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/59187

The game runs through emulation, which is suboptimal and may lead to various issues. This is true especially with current ESO state (even on x86/x64 architecture PCs it crashes randomly during zone swap, character swap, or inside trials/dungeons). ZOS doesn't support ARM so I guess your best bet would be the apple forum, maybe someone will suggest any workarounds there.

edit: Most of the crashes on PC are caused my memory issues (according to Windows event logs). Maybe Apple's emulation engine is sensitive about memory access errors (safety reasons) and kills the game whenever something weird happens?
    Edited by perfiction on May 6, 2021 8:07AM
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Hey there @ngoff2

If you haven't already, please go ahead and submit a support ticket with us at help.elderscrollsonline.com

If you already have submitted one, please feel free to provide your ticket number here so that we can check on its status for you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ngoff2
    ngoff2
    Soul Shriven
    *Update*

I’ve found that using Steam for PVE content works fine and runs high graphics settings durably. Out of desperation I purchased the game a third time on Stadia (XB1->Steam->Stadia) which can run PVP content on medium graphics convincingly well. It’s not ideal to have to bounce back between Steam and Stadia but I get the full game experience. And coming from a background of only owning hardwired consoles, being able to play such a massive game on WiFi and a laptop still blows my mind. Not to mention I got to restart the game in time to acquaint myself with the new CP system before Blackwood, I’m still a happy camper
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    You are playing on a laptop? Which one ?
    Did you need a better graphics card ?

Are pc laptops better than apple laptops Generally speaking ?

ngoff2 wrote: »
    *Update*

I’ve found that using Steam for PVE content works fine and runs high graphics settings durably. Out of desperation I purchased the game a third time on Stadia (XB1->Steam->Stadia) which can run PVP content on medium graphics convincingly well. It’s not ideal to have to bounce back between Steam and Stadia but I get the full game experience. And coming from a background of only owning hardwired consoles, being able to play such a massive game on WiFi and a laptop still blows my mind. Not to mention I got to restart the game in time to acquaint myself with the new CP system before Blackwood, I’m still a happy camper