The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crashing every time on most loading screens after 6.3.5

tga
tga
Soul Shriven
MacBook Air (M1, 2020) macOS Big Sur 11.2.1

introduced by the 6.3.5 update

100% crash when going to another area, except waypoint travel

console doesn't log anything, except once it says some error with Metal but lost the screenshot and not 100% sure if it's directly related

gfx on lowest setting, 640x480 res, subsample lowest, no shadow / effects
Edited by tga on March 27, 2021 7:15PM
  • tga
    tga
    Soul Shriven
    bump? the game is totally unplayable for almost a month for me now, my eso plus subscription just goes to waste
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Greetings @tga

We recommend the troubleshooting in this article to see if it resolves the issue.

If the crashes persist after trying these steps, please submit a ticket with us at help.elderscrollsonline.com
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue and have followed all the steps in the article. It persists regardless.

I haven't yet tried submitting a ticket so I guess that's next. I have been submitting bug reports every time though, which is amounting to 8-10 per day.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • tga
    tga
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_Adrikoth thanks for the reply! Yeah I've seen this article and it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure it's introduced by the 6.3.5 update,
    before 6.3.5: 0% crash on dungeon loading screens with any graphics settings
    after 6.3.5: 100% crash on dungeon loading screens with lowest graphics settings
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @doesurmindglow

You are welcome to post your ticket number if you would like any updates on the current status.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they've advised me to uninstall (remove from the folder) all Add-ons and do a repair of the game files. Ticket number is 210327-008538.

I will go ahead and do that because I haven't yet tried actually *removing* the add-ons from my installation (though most of these crashes have occurred with them fully disabled), but it feels almost insulting to suggest that add-ons are to blame for an issue clearly called out in dozens of crash logs as arising from MoltenVK, the Mac port of the modeling system.

A major issue with the modeling system also explains the graphics artifacting I and others been experiencing since the patch, examples here:

267te90cyknc.png

z1ccrruvx5fn.png

5qd64odrocts.png

760ffouvf5wz.png

I was worried my graphics card was failing until I saw screenshots on the forums of others experiencing similar issues since 6.3.5 patch.

I'll go ahead and uninstall my add-ons folder and follow through with a repair so we can at least rule that out, but I can't imagine that the API used by add-on developers allow access to any functions of the modeling system implemented in the Mac client by MoltenVK. I do hope these steps work, regardless.
  • mav983
    mav983
    Soul Shriven
    I’ve noted that removing add-ons enables smooth loading and then enabling once loaded is effective. Not sure why this is since the UI has to reload when add-ons are re-enabled.
  • tga
    tga
    Soul Shriven
    Don't have any addons installed. Wonder if it's a Macbook M1 / macOS Big Sur problem.
  • el25pelas
    el25pelas
    ✭✭
    Hello @tga anf @mav983

On this thread people is trying to determine when and how the crashes are appearing. Seems that some kind of race condition while loading assets, related with pets and minions, is present.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/565254/update-29-crashes-mac#latest

Hope it can help
  • tindomiel4
    tindomiel4
    ✭✭✭
    My game hangs and crashes to the login screen every second or third time I try to do any loading transition (such as wayshrines or into an Outlaw's Refuge). I have also experienced some graphics glitches and, occasionally, a spontaneous booted-from-server crash. It frequently takes me two or more tries just to get beyond the character select screen now. Trying to work through only seven characters' crafting dailies for the recent event took hours each day. At first, I thought this was better than the time when it regularly crashed every 30 minutes, but now I'm not so sure.

It's very disappointing to see that the troubleshooting article we're referred to was last updated in 2019, given how many of us started experiencing these problems after much more recent patches.

Thank you for sharing that other thread. I'm working through solutions to see if any of them help. In a half hour of attempts (and waiting after being booted), I've only managed to play about two minutes so far today. Not fun at all. Can't imagine what it's going to be like with Companions and Endeavors to work in.
  • AngryLorekeeper
    AngryLorekeeper
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the problem was just confined to the loading screens at wayshrines, but I'm crashing just about every time I try to log in. This morning I tried to login, made it to the zone load screen and it crashed 3 times. I love the game, but I'm truly tired of the crashes especially at login. If there's not a fix in the next patch I suspect it will be time for me to cancel my subscription and move on.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Agree have the same issues

On top of that , a refund of the game is not the solution , because i have paid monthly subscriptions for a full year now. I dont think they will reimburse that either
  • NetherClawSr
    I have had the same issue. Requested and received a refund. moved on to Stadia (had to buy the game again). works flawlessly.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the same issue. Requested and received a refund. moved on to Stadia (had to buy the game again). works flawlessly.

Ok, That seems interesting !

That said , does it allow addons ?!?
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    You play on stadia via a MAC right?
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also face many issues while playing ESO on my iMac.
    And this is the reason I stopped.
    I hoped they would be fixed since the last time I tested the game; but when I have a look to these forums, I feel like this is not the case.
    So, as Stadia is a viable alternative, any chance we can have a refund or a free transfer to Stadia ?
    If not, I will have to unsubscribe of course. Why should I subscribe to a game that has so many issues on Mac with no to little support on this platform ?

Edited by trimsic_ESO on May 7, 2021 10:28AM
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Why is ZOS or ESO barely answering to the mac thread ? Its like they dont want to listen or solve it .

Just hope they dont turn their back on MAC players since they have been acquired by microsoft

That would ****
  • NetherClawSr
    Yes, I play eso with google stadia on MacBook Air M1 with Ethernet wired connection. No issues at all.also works on iPad although wifi has jitter issues no crashes there as well. The Google stadia controller allows me to play on the Mac with controller (and on tv with chromecast). Negatives are higher priced game and the stadia plus subscription for higher resolution.
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. I think it's possible to switch to the Stadia client without repurchasing the game, though if you own the Mac client through Steam or something there might be an issue there? I don't know.

I was under the impression it's just log in with your ESO account on Stadia and you're good to go. It's the same server etc.

The biggest obstacle I have right now to this solution is that I believe Stadia has its own monthly subscription cost that would need to be maintained in addition to ESO+ and whatnot. I've only started looking into this, though.
  • NetherClawSr
    That’s correct. Stadia charges a monthly fee just like PlayStation btw. I think that you can play stadia without monthly fee but it will not be HD resolution. Not sure though.
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MoltenVK open source bridge is actively developed by the community, and many bug fixes and improvements are constantly added to the codebase, along with the Vulkan SDK. The latest release fixes a lot of issues for instance.

Is ESO integrating the latest version of the MoltenVK library?
    I am asking because other games integrate this library.