The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gaming Laptop - ESO

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
Hi all ,

I currently have a mac 🖥 however the game doesnt work well on it anymore.

Are there a lot of players playing on a laptop? And are they good enough to perform on high resolutions and high fps ?

What are good laptops for it ?

Do you need to buy extra external hardware for a laptop to make it work well ? Or are good laptops strong enough to handle ESO requirements?

Thank you
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am playing on an older laptop, Asus ROG Strix GL703VD, and ESO runs without problems, but in general I would not recommend that one. So, probably not the most helpful answer...

Edit: I didn´t had to buy anything extra (bought it back in 2018)
    Edited by Lugaldu on May 10, 2021 12:47PM
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    And did you had to buy extra hardware or graphic cards to make it work ? Or did it run smoothly from itself?
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an ASUS TUF FX505 that works great. I got mine back in 2019 on sale for $600 U.S. Mine came with a 256 Gig M.2 and an empty SSD slot. One RAM slot was populated with an 8 Gig RAM stick. I bought a 1TB SSD and another 8 Gig RAM stick and installed them.

The laptop has the AMD GPU and an Integrated Graphics Chip. The IGC is used for browsing, watching vids, etc. The AMD GPU for video games. I play ESO on it in medium to high settings (default). The video screen is limited on my laptop to 60 FPS and that's where it stays most of the time. There are other versions that go to 120 FPS, maybe higher now.

There are many variants of this laptop and the prices vary with the power you choose. I chose the 3550H CPU which runs much cooler than an Intel CPU.

Check out online reviews on y.t. or other platforms to see how it works. Keep in mind there are quite a few versions of this laptop and the one I bought is on the low end of the spectrum but boy does it work very well.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I often play on my MSI raider ge75. Smooth as silk.
    Edited by The_Lex on May 10, 2021 12:56PM
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of if you are running a laptop or a desktop you want to make sure of a few things if you want to the game to run decently well:
    1. i7 or i9 processor or AMD equivalent. While it will run on lesser processors, they will struggle a lot more to keep up. Lower end processors aren't really meant to run the heavy computing loads ESO requires.
    2. 16 GB of memory or more. You can run it on less but again it will run much better with more. 16 GB is really the minimum amount you want for any computer used for gaming now. More memory also helps your PC compensate for some of the software flaws with the game.
    3. SSD drive. M.2 SSD is preferable but you at least want a SATA SSD. HDDs really hurt performance on ESO. You will want at least 512GB.
    4. Dedicated video card. Do not use integrated graphics. They are not designed for gaming and don't do well under heavy loads. Make sure your PC has a dedicated graphics card. The NVIDIA GTX 10XX series is good. The RTX series of cards still have some optimization issues in most games so have more issues than the GTX series. But these will be worked out over time.
    Edited by ThorianB on May 10, 2021 1:56PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »
    Regardless of if you are running a laptop or a desktop you want to make sure of a few things if you want to the game to run decently well:
    1. i7 or i9 processor or AMD equivalent. While it will run on lesser processors, they will struggle a lot more to keep up. Lower end processors aren't really meant to run the heavy computing loads ESO requires.
    2. 16 GB of memory or more. You can run it on less but again it will run much better with more. 16 GB is really the minimum amount you want for any computer used for gaming now. More memory also helps your PC compensate for some of the software flaws with the game.
    3. SSD drive. M.2 SSD is preferable but you at least want a SATA SSD. HDDs really hurt performance on ESO. You will want at least 512GB.
    4. Dedicated video card. Do not use integrated graphics. They are not designed for gaming and don't do well under heavy loads. Make sure your PC has a dedicated graphics card. The NVIDIA GTX 10XX series is good. The RTX series of cards still have some optimization issues in most games so have more issues than the GTX series. But these will be worked out over time.
    The part that is also VERY important is cooling. Often in cheaper models you can find only one fan for both CPU & GPU. That is made to safe the cost, but causes thermal throttling - so even if you have better gpu & cpu, because of poor cooling it will work slower. Ideally you would like to have 2 fans inside a laptop.
    Other thing is Ram. Some laptops use one 16gig stick of ram (often soldered in to MB, so no replacement is possible) and one stick works slower than 2x 8 gig (as it does not use double channel).
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »
    The part that is also VERY important is cooling. Often in cheaper models you can find only one fan for both CPU & GPU. That is made to safe the cost, but causes thermal throttling - so even if you have better gpu & cpu, because of poor cooling it will work slower. Ideally you would like to have 2 fans inside a laptop.
    Other thing is Ram. Some laptops use one 16gig stick of ram (often soldered in to MB, so no replacement is possible) and one stick works slower than 2x 8 gig (as it does not use double channel).

Yes cooling is a big factor in laptops. It is better, when you can, to run them as desktop(external input/output) and allow the laptop to sit on a cooling pad made to keep them cool. Then use it as a laptop when you need it to be mobile. Laptops are not the ideal choice for gaming but for some mobility and compact size is more important than performance.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all !

Also big thanks to @ThorianB for the list of must haves !

So generally speaking if i buy a laptop with enough power and graphics etc ... then i shouldnt worry to much?

Can some laptops run without extra hardware and stuff like that ?

The graphics card you mentioned , is that something that needs to be bought sperately and added later ?

Lets say you buy a decent laptop which can perform well enough. What would then still be some thing you NEED to buy additionally ?

Is there any software you need to download to make your computer run smoother ?