The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Help me make a PvP toon

lazywhiteseal
lazywhiteseal
✭✭✭
although i dont enjoy much pvp, i'll give it a go i guess. tired of swapping current pve characters's stats and skills to play pvp. have one more character slot left anyways.

starting from scratch.
from race and class to set builds.

i welcome all suggestions
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go out and play in Cyro is my suggestion. See what sort of playstyle works for you, what you are good at and take it from there. Unlike PVE, there are no cookie cutter builds, it is all very personal and the only way to figure out what works for you, is to try different things.

I play a magsorc and love it. However, I do not have what many would consider the "standard" setup by any means. I built to be a disrupter, not a 1v1 or 1vXer, as that is just something I kinda suck at. It turned out that is what I like doing, I have gotten pretty decent at it and I am always tweaking it to be just a bit better based on all the encounters I have.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always run a Nord Support Warden & Necro. Aggressive group support, & control. If necessary I use the same builds in PvE (vet/norm) for my stones/gear.

Cp Cyrodiil no proc

Alliance Health Draught or any crafted unstoppable pot, & sugar skulls.

amber/crafty/chudan/dom all tristat
    Resto/s&b
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 5, 2021 7:41AM
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1: buy the warden class.
    Step 2: win
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a Mag Sorc is the easiest class to test the waters in PVP. It has a very binary offense and defense. When getting pressure, stack shields, when you have an opening, attempt to line up a burst. They are mobile, can play at range so you don't need to get in the absolute thick of things, and work very well in the no proc meta.

Best mag sorc guide I have found consistently is from MalcolM. I run the same open world gear (well fitted is OP), but slightly different bars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-mQ-zud34&t=693s

I think Stam Wardens and Stam Necros are a little more powerful head to head. They are behind a paywall afterall. If you prefer more of a brawler/melee playstyle, then both are good options. I like my Stam warden a little better, mostly because the skills are more reliable, especially in lag. I am a little out of touch with the current stam warden meta as I haven't re built mine since they disabled proc sets. Rebuilding a sorc for no proc was easy because she didnt use them in the first place.
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    take your PVE char, equip some impen gear and go out to PVP.
    You don´t need a special char.
    Look where the action is and go there with caution.
    Always move.
    When you fight, don´t forget to move.
    When you´re under attack, dodge/block/shield WHILE MOVING.
    When the pressure get´s to high, try to MOVE around corners.

Not moving is just the number one reason why PVP beginners have trouble.
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gave that an awesome because not moving enough is indeed the main reason I die in PVP :)
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is true, you will die if you stay still. Break free (if it works) is your best skill. Then, block is another skill that is important to use, along with the dodge roll.

Then play your main pve char in pvp. Any class is good in pvp if you know how to play it. Just get some impen or reinforced gear have fun. I would just now wear fortified brass on armor and craft it in the armor type you wish to wear. Then slap on spinners or spriggans. Or some health set like beekeeper, or maybe shaklebreaker. Health set might be better at first, so that if you are a bit tanky and have high health, you can stay in the fight longer and figure stuff out.

Eat sugar skulls at all times. Use tripots.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As the others are alluding to, your parameters are too broad. For starteers: What kind of PvP are you talking about? Cyrodiil? Imperial City? Battlegrounds? Solo play? Group play? DD? Healer? Group play and support, such as healing, differs substantially from solo play or an all round useful character.

If you venture into PvP on your own, mobility and possibly stealth is very important, e.g. I'd recommend sorc or nightblade. You could go as a tanky DK / warden / necro, but the lot of any solo player is that they will be zerged down. There is some scope amoung the tanky classes for a new player, though. The class I would probably not recommend, at present, is templar, unless as a healer.

Are you in a PvP guild? Are you going to go "lfg" as soon as you enter PvP? Will you be on Discord? Those things would substantially alter any recommendations I might make.
    Edited by fred4 on May 5, 2021 10:30AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Bigmatt2
    Bigmatt2
    ✭✭✭
    Kaysha wrote: »
    take your PVE char, equip some impen gear and go out to PVP.
    You don´t need a special char.
    Look where the action is and go there with caution.
    Always move.
    When you fight, don´t forget to move.
    When you´re under attack, dodge/block/shield WHILE MOVING.
    When the pressure get´s to high, try to MOVE around corners.

Not moving is just the number one reason why PVP beginners have trouble.

Well....except Relequen's, don't wear Relequen's in Cyro. They'll laugh you right out of cyro and these are people from your own faction.
    They'll tell you things like: "Go back to PVE" or "Come back when you get better gear", or my favorite "Get gud".
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to play the class and race combination I like, not what is most optimal according to the so-called 'meta'.

However, for most (not all) stamina builds, the orc (orsimer) is the best choice for high damage, & wood elf (bosmer) for high mobility.
    For most (not all) magicka builds, high elf (altmer) is the best choice for high damage, & argonian for high survivability.
    For more tanky builds you can go for imperial or nord

Personally, I prefer breton for my magicka builds.

Redguard, dark elf (dunmer), & khajiit are not often used in my experience. Although dark elf can be useful for more hybrid types of builds.
    Edited by DTStormfox on May 8, 2021 11:57AM
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest dunmer just because its so flexible. It will allow you to change your build frequently without worrying about being gimped because of your race
    Edited by Waffennacht on May 8, 2021 10:13PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the answer is always orc...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a class that you like the most playwise/lorewise and animations? Go for that class even if it's not the best atm. The meta changes with every patch basically. I would start with a hybrid class like dunmer or kahjiit, that will give you the options to play mag and Stam of that class. Look up some builds on the class you want to play, not to just copy it. But to give you an idea of what type of build that looks fun to play and you can make changes you would like to try out in the build.

Join a pvp guild, being in a group and being able to ask questions is a huge bonus as a new pvp player.

Try to think of what you did whenever you die and what you could have changed. It will take hundreds of deaths to learn pvp and a lot of players have had that experience for several years. So don't feel bad or get mad that you die, because it's the best way to learn.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on May 9, 2021 9:41AM
  • Vilixiti
    Vilixiti
    ✭✭✭
    I’d recommend sorc. It’s a rather forgiving play style with great damage shields, high burst/delayed burst and simplistic play style paired with an incredibly strong teleport that stuns and damages so it can be used offensively or defensively.
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is an Orc better than a Dark Elf for damage?

They have the same Weapon Damage bonus, whereas the Orc gets 1000 Stamina and the Dark Elf gets 1910.

Is there something I'm missing?
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    I always run a Nord Support Warden & Necro. Aggressive group support, & control. If necessary I use the same builds in PvE (vet/norm) for my stones/gear.

Cp Cyrodiil no proc

Alliance Health Draught or any crafted unstoppable pot, & sugar skulls.

amber/crafty/chudan/dom all tristat
    Resto/s&b

Please no.

Run a build that actually kills players and occasionally dies.