Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy Attacks?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Allo!

How much extra damage does a Heavy Attack do vs Light?

If I am running Sword Singer 5pc - it looks like +129 (3pc) + 600 (pc)
With a normal maul (1220 dmg)

I would see 1949 dmg per light attack (129+600+1220)

What would I see for a heavy attack?

Or do I have this wrong?

Also, when I use an ability like Upper Cut (3515 dmg) is that added to my weapon damage? Or is that total damage?

Tanks,

Z
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but so much more goes into this than just a simple "Heavy attacks are 10x stronger than light attacks" response. Gear, CP, rotation, skills, etc. Plus, your class can have an impact on the viability of a heavy attack build. Magorcs and stam 2H builds are much easier to build a viable heavy attacker than say a stamblade DW. Its a completely different play style than the standard LA weaving builds

I'm also guessing you are newer player with very low CP. 1,949 for a light attack is very low. I'm a CP 1,200 and my light attacks average around 15,000 across my DPS characters.
    Edited by El_Borracho on April 28, 2021 4:19PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly not even sure if Sword Singer buffs HAs or not or if its just the 2H skill line.

I cant give you an exact answer. As stated, there are a lot of things that play in.

For PVE, the short answer is that if you are trying to maximize damage, you simply never Heavy Attack unless you need resources. There are of course exceptions as you can build specifically for a heavy attack build. These are typically an easier rotation, but they are not going to be anywhere close to META in terms of DPS. Max PVE DPS is built around light attacks because they can be cast within the global cooldown of your skills. HAs cannot. Every time you HA, you are not casting a skill in its place.

In PVP, HAs can certainly be useful for burst. They do hit harder than LAs, but there is of course the windup time. Some classes have easier times than others working a HA into their burst combo.

I am assuming you are looking at tool tip values. As a general rule, that is going to scale based on weapon damage and max stamina (if it costs stamina) and spell damage and max magic (if it costs magic). Increasing either stat will effect the tooltip value. Not sure if the ratio still holds, but 10.5 pts max stat roughly equals 1 pt of the corresponding damage type.

How much you actually hit for when you cast on an opponent or NPC is another story. What is their armor, what is your penetration, did it crit, what crit defense do they have, what crit modifiers do you have, etc. None of those will effect the tooltip though. Other than some CP trees, only damage and max resource values move the tooltip on the skill.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on April 28, 2021 5:57PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i recall correctly, Sword-Singer gives a flat damage bonus to your 2H abilities. So that would exclude light/heavy attacks.
    idea.gif

• Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but so much more goes into this than just a simple "Heavy attacks are 10x stronger than light attacks" response. Gear, CP, rotation, skills, etc. Plus, your class can have an impact on the viability of a heavy attack build. Magorcs and stam 2H builds are much easier to build a viable heavy attacker than say a stamblade DW. Its a completely different play style than the standard LA weaving builds

I'm also guessing you are newer player with very low CP. 1,949 for a light attack is very low. I'm a CP 1,200 and my light attacks average around 15,000 across my DPS characters.

15 000K....that is quite the heavy attack! Save that for those annoying Skeevers!

I took the damage from a base 2h with no improvements thus the 1220, then the damages adds from the set (129+600) thinking it would make things simpler. Guess not. Did not know an increase of level increased damage.

I assumed that would that total would be the total damage of a light attack by an completely unbuffed character (no equipment, potion, magic, cp buffs)

There is no way to measure base damage then for the specific scenario I have?

Tanks!

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

Yes, there is.

Enable damage numbers in your settings, then remove all CP from your character (if you have any), remove all buffs (food, drink, mundus etc), only wear/use the gear you want to test and then hammer away on one of the low tier training dummies that doesn't have any raid buffs applied.
    bye1.gif

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

15 000K....that is quite the heavy attack! Save that for those annoying Skeevers!

I took the damage from a base 2h with no improvements thus the 1220, then the damages adds from the set (129+600) thinking it would make things simpler. Guess not. Did not know an increase of level increased damage.

I assumed that would that total would be the total damage of a light attack by an completely unbuffed character (no equipment, potion, magic, cp buffs)

Tanks!

LOL. I thought you were saying your LA said on the screen "1,949." Which is what I why I said my LA usually hits 15K. Not in the stats, but in the instant combat feedback. Makes more sense now
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure these are completely right, but these appear to be the formulae for 2h Heavy and Light attacks:

Heavy: (0.071964*Stam)+(0.756761*Weapon Damage)-2.19699

Light: (0.0449745*Stam)+(0.472553*Weapon Damage)-0.646374
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always check those values in UESP Build Editor.

Plus remember that there are various factors that massively enchancing HA, like DK buff or Off-balance status.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    If i recall correctly, Sword-Singer gives a flat damage bonus to your 2H abilities. So that would exclude light/heavy attacks.
    idea.gif

Actually it does apply. Same for Sword Dancer, Knight Errant and Spider Cultist.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the term "abilities" is usually defined expansively in ESO.

It will typically include any and all effects, no matter their source, that fulfills the other proc criteria.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Allo!

Or do I have this wrong?

Also, when I use an ability like Upper Cut (3515 dmg) is that added to my weapon damage? Or is that total damage?

Tanks,

Z

The "weapon damage" stat is just a number in a formula. It does not mean, "the actual damage that my weapon does". Try to think of "weapon damage" more like, "stamina-based attack power coefficient" or something like that. The naming is poor. It sounds intuitive that "weapon damage" would be "the damage that my weapon does". But actual damage done is far more complicated than that and takes a lot of factors into consideration, of which the weapon damage stat is only one.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Allo!

Or do I have this wrong?

Tanks,

Z

The "weapon damage" stat is just a number in a formula. It does not mean, "the actual damage that my weapon does". Try to think of "weapon damage" more like, "stamina-based attack power coefficient" or something like that. The naming is poor. It sounds intuitive that "weapon damage" would be "the damage that my weapon does". But actual damage done is far more complicated than that and takes a lot of factors into consideration, of which the weapon damage stat is only one.

That does help! @Urzigurumash has a formula...and it is insane.
    The come resistances - so when I whack a creature - the damage is always different...

• Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast