The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Avalanche Tanking in vFrostVault ... Need Help!

scrosedk
scrosedk
✭✭✭
I guess i have serious problem with this Boss tanking. All goes well until Avalanche does that "pizza" patterned attack. Where on earth should I stand? In the "red" zone or in the "blank" zone? Some articles found online said the tank should "face tank" it. I am not sure what that means in this case. :'(
Most people think Time is just like a river flowing in a single direction silently and unchanged, but it unveiled its totally astonishing truth to me: Time is an ocean in a raging storm...
  • Wyrd88
    Wyrd88
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should stand in those blank zones, like pizza slices, which are moving.

Or just kite the atro, since you only need to kill the mage.
  • scrosedk
    scrosedk
    ✭✭✭
    Wyrd88 wrote: »
    You should stand in those blank zones, like pizza slices, which are moving.

Or just kite the atro, since you only need to kill the mage.

Suggestion appreciated!
    BTW i did try the kiting thing, but it seemed that there was a bout of overwhelming damage OUTSIDE the "pizza circle" the 1st time Avalanche did it. I tried like 6 times and i only survived one of them. After the 1st "pizza", kiting went smooth.
    Most people think Time is just like a river flowing in a single direction silently and unchanged, but it unveiled its totally astonishing truth to me: Time is an ocean in a raging storm...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally hug avalanche. If you are not fast enough to get out of the pizza slice, dodge through him, the pizza slice is dodgable.
    Edited by zvavi on April 15, 2021 3:18AM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mechanics are thus: if you touch the ring you will suffer insane damage and almost certainly die. He will swing at you three times, you can survive any one of these attacks via blocking, but if all three hit you, then it will automatically knock you back regardless of whether you are blocking. This knocks you into the previously mentioned ring.

Now here is how you survive...

You need to completely avoid some of the red zones of the three swings. The first safe zone is to the creatures left, which is your right. However, I recommend

1. Block his first swing, this gives you time to get ready for the series following.

2. The safe spot for the second swing is a small slice right in front of him. If you blocked his first swing without trying to move, you basically should be almost in it. All you need is a slight step.

3. Third swing has a massive safe zone to his right, your left as you look at him.

This makes the sequence very simple.

Block
    Safe zone right where you already are
    Get into the large safe zone on your left.

It’s the same sequence every time, and same safe zones.
  • scrosedk
    scrosedk
    ✭✭✭
    The mechanics are thus: if you touch the ring you will suffer insane damage and almost certainly die. He will swing at you three times, you can survive any one of these attacks via blocking, but if all three hit you, then it will automatically knock you back regardless of whether you are blocking. This knocks you into the previously mentioned ring.

You need to completely avoid some of the red zones of the three swings. The first safe zone is to the creatures left, which is your right. However, I recommend

1. Block his first swing, this gives you time to get ready for the series following.

2. The safe spot for the second swing is a small slice right in front of him. If you blocked his first swing without trying to move, you basically should be almost in it. All you need is a slight step.

3. Third swing has a massive safe zone to his right, your left as you look at him.

Block

Thx for the detailed instructions! Now I think i need to find some friends who are willing to do the experiment with me and probably some repair kits too...lol
  • scrosedk
    scrosedk
    ✭✭✭

Block

Thank u so very much for the hints! I did exactly as u told me and it worked really nice!
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @scrosedk you are welcome! One downside to tanking all the time is that you almost never get to see another tank try it, and so never get to see what others have figured out.

We tanks should share tips more often.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scrosedk you are welcome! One downside to tanking all the time is that you almost never get to see another tank try it, and so never get to see what others have figured out.

I just dodge into the first red zone, and the next white zone is literally there, the 3rd white zone is also around there. The merit in that is that that way I can keep the mage more or less at the same place if I am pugging (with premade always someone taunts the mage)
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    scrosedk you are welcome! One downside to tanking all the time is that you almost never get to see another tank try it, and so never get to see what others have figured out.

I just dodge into the first red zone, and the next white zone is literally there, the 3rd white zone is also around there. The merit in that is that that way I can keep the mage more or less at the same place if I am pugging (with premade always someone taunts the mage)

Oh my word, I’ve never been able to PU with mage on me. My people always step in the silly ring and insta die!
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like the others have said, occupy the atro, keep it separate from the mage. Do not aggro the mage. Your group should be interrupting the mage. If you want, you can occasionally hit the mage with Heroic Slash or another non-taunt skill that helps the group.