Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAC players without Crash Issues

eMKa8
eMKa8
✭✭✭
I have seen quite a lot of MAC users having some serious issues with ESO since 🔥 Flame of Ambition 🔥 update !

I am wondering though, are there any MAC players that are NOT having any issues ?

I would like to know because then i do know there might be some real individual solutions against the constant crashes .

Can any MAC player WITHOUT crash issues please reply to this thread? Thank you
  • Booldi
    Booldi
    ✭
    No. [snip]
    I installed Parallels to my Mac, so now im runing ESO on windows, and it works flawlesly. This is a [snip] joke, [snip]

[Edited to remove Bashing and Conspiracy Theories]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 7, 2021 12:53PM
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    So it doesnt work well on bootcamp either ?
  • Booldi
    Booldi
    ✭
    It works well on bootcamp too (better even). But i have a M1 mac and bootcamp is not supported on them yet. If you can, run it on windows, it resolves ALL issues.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Okay interesting ;-)

I actually might then. I had it on there however there were some serious graphic issues to be honest.

Might want to try it out again then !

Thank you

• eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Okay interesting ;-)

I actually might then. I had it on there however there were some serious graphic issues to be honest.

Might want to try it out again then !

Thank you
    Booldi wrote: »
    No. [snip]
    I installed Parallels to my Mac, so now im runing ESO on windows, and it works flawlesly. This is a [snip] joke, [snip]

[Edited to remove Bashing and Conspiracy Theories]

Do you mean it was a joke that it runs on bootcamp ? Like in ... it doesnt work on bootcamp either ?

Or do you mean that it works better on bootcamp then on mac osx , which is a joke if you think about it ?

Anyway ... downloading the game on bootcamp now.

It runs well on bootcamp then , right ?

Dont you have graphical issues and stuff like that on bootcamp?
  • Booldi
    Booldi
    ✭
    No I am having 0 graphical issues, this is the main way im playing the game, and I think even after they fix the crashes I wont switch back, because i had graphical bugs while playing on MacOS and the game run generaly more unstable. Im have to play on lower settings than before, but the game never run this stable before. Ive been doing this since Flames of ambition came out and I had only 1 crash during this time.
    But again im using Parallels not bootcamp, altough bootcamp, at least in theory, should run better.
    Other than that my setup is:
    2020 M1 MacBook Air
    ARM Windows 10 insider edition
    Parallels is set to the standard use half of the CPU GPU memory etc.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    Booldi wrote: »
    No I am having 0 graphical issues, this is the main way im playing the game, and I think even after they fix the crashes I wont switch back, because i had graphical bugs while playing on MacOS and the game run generaly more unstable. Im have to play on lower settings than before, but the game never run this stable before. Ive been doing this since Flames of ambition came out and I had only 1 crash during this time.
    But again im using Parallels not bootcamp, altough bootcamp, at least in theory, should run better.
    Other than that my setup is:
    2020 M1 MacBook Air
    ARM Windows 10 insider edition
    Parallels is set to the standard use half of the CPU GPU memory etc.

I just downloaded the game on bootcamp yesterday and hope ut runs well. I cant log in on the game yet because it is perceived as new computer (so i need an email verification to my emailadress , but havent received it yet)

So far it does seem promising though , however last time i used bootcamp it did run with some graphical issues , and seemed a bit slower.

I didnt invest much time in it at that moment to investigate what the problem was though.

However i do hope it runs good now.

3 questions

What is parallels and what are the differences between bootcamp and parallel?

If ZOS decides to end the MAC client version or just stops fixing things (like now), will inthen still be able to play on a mac via bootcamp? Is bootcamp completely comparable to a normal microsoft computer in other words?

Third question. If eso runs perfectly on my imac , will it then also run as good on bootcamp but then without crashes ? Or might there be different graphical lower settings when using bootcamp ?

I also heard that bootcamp wont be supported anymore by some newer mac models ? Should i be worried for the fiture for my bootcamp or will it always be able to run on mine now that i have it ?

Thaaaanks

• Booldi
    Booldi
    ✭
    Ok lets go in order.

Parallels virtualization program. It allows you to run 2 or more operation system at the same time. I was already using it for work, so I can have Mac and Windows apps open at the same time on my computer.
    Bootcamp runs Windows diretcly on your hardware, parallels is an app running on Mac runing Windows virtualy. This is why im guessing bootcamp would run better.

The first part im just guessing based on what I see here, but they will never admit it.
    Bootcamp turns your computer into an actual Windows machine, so yes. The performance is worse, because Windows is less optimised, and if you ask me a pile of garbage.

Based on my experience, ESO runs much much better on Windows, but Windows is slower than Mac. If I had to guess I would say it would run better over all, but I dont know.

Theres no bootcamp for the new macs because theres no ARM Windows yet, only the beta. Its unsure if there will be bootcamp for M1 macs, but bootcamp for Intel is still a thing and its still being updated, the problem is with ARM and Windows specificly. You should worry about this.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    So this thread has been created a couple of days ago and since then no one reacted yet to tell that their mac runs without issues.

So , does that mean that everyone of the MAC 🖥 community is having crash issues !

Shouldnt ZOS invest more time in actually finding patch solutions for this ? 😢😢😢
  • soulferin
    soulferin
    ✭✭✭
    They probably want us all to take refund and be gone with our computers so they will have one of their problem "solved"
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit today i had no issues myself. Only went briefly online however really tested my luck

I had my 2 daedric pets as a sorcerer , my horse and my small pet and used 2 wayshrines to bug areas.

It didnt crash !

Do other seem to experience better performance as well ?
  • Gonzodriver321
    Gonzodriver321
    Soul Shriven
    I have been trying to get ESO to run on Boot Camp and no dice. I could download the game ( took forever) and log in but after hitting the "play" tab I get a random pic and the 3 headed spinning wheel turns slowly at the bottom right of the screen but nothing else happens. Then the music will stop playing. Then I get dumped by the server for "inactivity".

I was really looking forward to playing but this doesn't look like it is going to happen. I can't figure out why it won't finish connecting to the game.

So this isn't a crash problem, it is a "hitting a wall" problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    I have been trying to get ESO to run on Boot Camp and no dice. I could download the game ( took forever) and log in but after hitting the "play" tab I get a random pic and the 3 headed spinning wheel turns slowly at the bottom right of the screen but nothing else happens. Then the music will stop playing. Then I get dumped by the server for "inactivity".

I was really looking forward to playing but this doesn't look like it is going to happen. I can't figure out why it won't finish connecting to the game.

Thanks in advance.

Tried it as well and got ingame however the game is unplayable for me because it lags much harder than on mac client !

For me it is better on mac then on bootcamp
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

So from what I experienced when I installed it on Bootcamp, the first time you install it, it has like a 40-50 minute load screen where it downloads all of your user settings, and you may get kicked for inactivity, but the next time you log in it should only be the normal amount of time. At least that's what I believe it's doing, as after that long load screen I had all my keybindings set already, and the live folder didn't exist before that point.

But ya, I found that while Bootcamp provides better performance in stuff like Cyro raids, for parsing it was horrible because I kept on getting massive lag spikes. In the end, I chose to just stay with the mac client as it was more convenient, and I spend significantly more time in Cyrodiil as all of the mac related crashes are only on inter-zone load screens for me.
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • nibbles2
    nibbles2
    Soul Shriven
    eMKa8 wrote: »
    ... Can any MAC player WITHOUT crash issues please reply to this thread? Thank you

It crashes for me too on my 16" MBP with Catalina, about 10 times a day.
    The problem is usually a Segmentation Fault in the MoltenVK dispatch thread, go figure.
    I would make a ton of bug reports, but why bother?

A couple of weeks after Microsoft bought ZoS and its parent company, they announced the end of support for the Mac client. Their reasoning was that programming is hard, and they want people to buy Windows.

We should probably face the fact that it's an xbox game and just buy that.
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I want to play ESO, I often reboot my iMac first.
    I've noticed that when I do so I have less freezes and less crashes.

I have a Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16Gb video card. May be the quantity of memory available onboard this video card does help, especially after a reboot. I suspect some memory leaks.
    Edited by trimsic_ESO on June 14, 2021 8:46PM
  • M0R_Gaming
    M0R_Gaming
    ✭✭✭
    nibbles2 wrote: »
    ...they announced the end of support for the Mac client.

@nibbles2 if possible, could you link me to where they said this? I can't find any information on this statement.

Edit:
    I found the letter from ZOS's studio director. Is this what you are referring to? Here they mention that the mac client will still be updated, and say that it's only that the new macs will not support ESO. This isn't really a ZOS issue because 'Coding is hard', this is a full change in architecture, meaning that it is 2 completely different systems. The new macs run on ARM, which is completely different than x86/x86_64. Any macs that run Intel (not M1/M2) should work 'fine' (after the crashing bug is fixed).
    Edited by M0R_Gaming on June 15, 2021 2:57AM
    • PC/NA - PvP/PvE AD Magsorc main
    • Former Emp, All HMs but DSR
    My addons
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nibbles2 wrote: »
    ...they announced the end of support for the Mac client.

@nibbles2 if possible, could you link me to where they said this? I can't find any information on this statement.

Edit:
    I found the letter from ZOS's studio director. Is this what you are referring to? Here they mention that the mac client will still be updated, and say that it's only that the new macs will not support ESO. This isn't really a ZOS issue because 'Coding is hard', this is a full change in architecture, meaning that it is 2 completely different systems. The new macs run on ARM, which is completely different than x86/x86_64. Any macs that run Intel (not M1/M2) should work 'fine' (after the crashing bug is fixed).

Well, actually the code is not what costs the most in a game. Think about building the world, the story lines, the quests, the maps, the graphic contents, the musics, the sounds, the network infrastructure behind the scene, ... (I'm a solution architect).

There are a lot of tools to build portable code today. But, depending on the early decisions they made when they started to develop the game, it may or may not be overkill to support both the Intel platform and the ARM platform, Windows and MacOS, OpenGL and Metal, not to mention consoles (which are very similar to a PC by the way).

So, IMHO it was probably a hard decision to take. This being said, as a Mac user, I'm very disappointed.

I've tried a streaming game session from Shadow, a cloud gaming company in Europe. Despite my network bandwidth (500 Mbits per second), the results are not that good. I don't know if Stadia is a better cloud platform, but anyway to my knowledge we have to buy a fresh new copy of ESO, so....

• eMKa8
    eMKa8
    ✭✭✭
    I also stopped using the game on mac. I really liked the game though ….

So i actually bought a medium good gaming laptop which costed 1500€ .

That being said … WOW , highest settings and it runs perfectly

Actually happy that i made that decision ;-)
    But also disappointed about the mac client

The least they could do is just be honest about it and admit that they dont care for the mac version anymore. Would save everyone a lot of troubles
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    This company has been acquired for loads of money, yet they cannot don't want to invest into making one native client work like the Windoze one. Says it all.
  • murgandy
    murgandy
    ✭✭
    So I just came back to the game after a while away and am having the same crashes everyone else is ("MoltenVKQueue-0-0-1.0-Dispatch" - aka, the how-dare-you-start-the-game/ or fast-travel/ or have-Daedric-summons crash). And it's blowing my mind to see how long this same crash has been occurring for Mac users with apparently no fix, even with Blackwood coming out. I started my own thread and submitted my own ticket, and am hoping for the best. I'm really surprised that this kind of performance is seen as acceptable, especially given the amount of hours and money many of us have put into this game.