The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Curse build from AlcastHQ

ItsMo
ItsMo
Soul Shriven
Hello there! I’m new to the forums!

I’m following the curse build of Alcasthq for my Magcro (208). Is that a good build to do Maelstrom Arena?
And also, can someone craft Mother’s sorrow gear for me, please? I can pay in Gold.
Isn’t craftable, my bad.
Edited by ItsMo on April 10, 2021 10:52AM

Best Answers

• the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mother's Sorrow isn't craftable...
    Answer ✓
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ItsMo wrote: »

I’m following the curse build of Alcasthq for my Magcro (208). Is that a good build to do Maelstrom Arena?

And also, can someone craft Mother’s sorrow gear for me, please? I can pay in Gold.

Playing on Europe server and on Playstation, my username is TTV-XALYSIS.

You can buy Mother's Sorrow gear in guild stores, but it's very expensive right now.

That said, farming it yourself isn't that hard. Jewelry drops at dolmens in Deshaan. Body pieces drop at delves and world bosses in Deshaan, and in the Forgotten Crypts public dungeon.

Weapons drop more rarely, but there is a named lightning staff that is easy to get as a quest reward -- "Argonian Muck-Minder" -- and (if you're going with dual wield for some reason) named swords as well. I think the Muck Minder even has a pretty good trait (Infused), so you don't have to transmute it if you're low on crystals.

Inferno staffs are rarer and more expensive, but on a magcro you should be fine going with lightning.
    Answer ✓
  • ItsMo
    ItsMo
    Soul Shriven

Playing on Europe server and on Playstation, my username is TTV-XALYSIS.

You can buy Mother's Sorrow gear in guild stores, but it's very expensive right now.

That said, farming it yourself isn't that hard. Jewelry drops at dolmens in Deshaan. Body pieces drop at delves and world bosses in Deshaan, and in the Forgotten Crypts public dungeon.

Weapons drop more rarely, but there is a named lightning staff that is easy to get as a quest reward -- "Argonian Muck-Minder" -- and (if you're going with dual wield for some reason) named swords as well. I think the Muck Minder even has a pretty good trait (Infused), so you don't have to transmute it if you're low on crystals.

Inferno staffs are rarer and more expensive, but on a magcro you should be fine going with lightning.
    Thank you!
    Mother's Sorrow isn't craftable...
    Oh, that’s right, indeed! Sorry, my bad!
    Edited by ItsMo on April 10, 2021 10:49AM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As to your original question if a magcro is good for VMA, if you know the mechanics, any strong DPS build can work in VMA.

However, since you are asking specifically about Alcast's "Curse" build, I would say no. That build is geared for group play and is highly dependent on synergies and buffs for health and sustain. You will have to find a more reliable self-heal, like the spirit mender, render flesh or use hungry scythe to stay alive. Probably also use summoners armor for resistance. I'd also look for a build that is a solo or PVP setup in terms of CP

Last, I like the Maw for a monster set in VMA, for all levels but Level 7 (as you will not be able to beat the last boss). Its a beast in there
  • ItsMo
    ItsMo
    Soul Shriven
    As to your original question if a magcro is good for VMA, if you know the mechanics, any strong DPS build can work in VMA.

However, since you are asking specifically about Alcast's "Curse" build, I would say no. That build is geared for group play and is highly dependent on synergies and buffs for health and sustain. You will have to find a more reliable self-heal, like the spirit mender, render flesh or use hungry scythe to stay alive. Probably also use summoners armor for resistance. I'd also look for a build that is a solo or PVP setup in terms of CP

Last, I like the Maw for a monster set in VMA, for all levels but Level 7 (as you will not be able to beat the last boss). Its a beast in there
    Thanks for your reply! Is this a good build, as you said you’d look for a solo setup: https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-necromancer-build-pve/#content3
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ItsMeToo I would say its better than the Curse build. It has a similar setup to a magsorc in gear that Alcast has had for years. As they are both mag-based, I think the changes below might work for you, too.

I don't use False Gods as it doesn't add damage. Only use that if you need sustain, which you shouldn't with a lightning staff/heavy attack style. Instead, I run with Undaunted Infiltrator jewelry and lightning staff (with a VMA staff on back bar) and Infallible Aether body pieces. Its an old heavy attack build because you are CONSTANTLY heavy attacking in VMA for damage and sustain while moving. You don't stand still a lot in the later levels in VMA. If you want to run Mother's Sorrow, consider running Medusa jewelry and weapons instead of False Gods, or you can do the old Alcast build of pairing MS with Plague Doctor or run Crimson for a massive health pool, plus damage and healing with Crimson. Other than that, I would put Wall of Elements on my front bar as that is your primary damage skill in VMA and put the spirit mender on the back bar.

The big thing in VMA is a balance between damage and damage mitigation. You don't have to be a 90K DD to beat VMA, but it helps. But beyond that, knowing mechanics and spawn points is paramount.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks for your reply! Is this a good build, as you said you’d look for a solo setup: https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-necromancer-build-pve/#content3

I personally recommend Dampen Magic instead of Harness Magicka depending on whether that gives you a bigger damage shield on your build. It made a big difference for me last patch, but might not for you.

I also use Boneyard instead of Ele Drain, and Inner Light frontbar instead of Hungry Scythe. The AoE and debuff from Boneyard helps melt groups of enemies. Inner Light is awesome because it lets you use cheaper potions, and the +7% Max Magicka gives you more burst to kill small enemies quickly. I personally also frontbar Degeneration (Entropy morph) for the Major Sorcery instead of Consuming Trap, and the +2% Max Magicka is a nice little bonus.

Using the damage shield on your frontbar makes it your burst heal instead of Hungry Scythe—pop the shield and wait for the heals from Spirit Guardian (which should always be up). I do vMA with Spirit Guardian as my only heal, and Dampen Magicka + Iceheart (I don't have Pale Order yet). False God's and Mother's Sorrow is good enough to make it onto the weekly leaderboard for me.

Everyone's build differs a bit—Alcast's build can definitely DO vMA, but what you or I prefer might be different!
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ItsMeToo I would say its better than the Curse build. It has a similar setup to a magsorc in gear that Alcast has had for years. As they are both mag-based, I think the changes below might work for you, too.

I don't use False Gods as it doesn't add damage. Only use that if you need sustain, which you shouldn't with a lightning staff/heavy attack style. Instead, I run with Undaunted Infiltrator jewelry and lightning staff (with a VMA staff on back bar) and Infallible Aether body pieces. Its an old heavy attack build because you are CONSTANTLY heavy attacking in VMA for damage and sustain while moving. You don't stand still a lot in the later levels in VMA. If you want to run Mother's Sorrow, consider running Medusa jewelry and weapons instead of False Gods, or you can do the old Alcast build of pairing MS with Plague Doctor or run Crimson for a massive health pool, plus damage and healing with Crimson. Other than that, I would put Wall of Elements on my front bar as that is your primary damage skill in VMA and put the spirit mender on the back bar.

The big thing in VMA is a balance between damage and damage mitigation. You don't have to be a 90K DD to beat VMA, but it helps. But beyond that, knowing mechanics and spawn points is paramount.

You want ItsMo not ItsMeToo
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."