The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

NPCs, players, and architecture not loading

BrotherPain
BrotherPain
Soul Shriven
When I load into the game, into a dungeon, house, or move around, enemies, NPCs, players and even architecture take forever to load.
This goes from being extremely annoying (ghost cities, missing quest givers, doors, and crafting stations) to being game breaking (being killed by invisible enemies) to sometimes falling through the world.

I can fix this in the immediate area I'm in with /reloadui, but that doesn't help with ambushes or waves of enemies, and having to wait for reload all the time is annoying at best.

Collision still works, as I can run into NPCs, get blocked by hedges, and so on, before they're visible. I did not have this problem at all during the beta weekends and outside of this (absolutely gamebreaking bug) the game actually runs quite well, even at maximum settings.

I know this isn't the only topic on this, but since I haven't seen ZOS acknowledge the problem at all yet, I'll give it a go.
  • Hekaton
    Hekaton
    I just started having this same exact problem. It first happened in Stonefalls, in the area of the the quest, Cleansing the Past. As the OP stated I can fix my surrounding area with /reloadui but all nearby areas will not load up on their own.

I have been killed twice from invisible enemies that I cannot target. Missed quest givers and wasted time. Relogging does not work, and this problem just started. I have been playing since day 1 of early access and everything was fine until this point.

Has anyone come across some sort of fix? It'd be nice to know that this issue was at least being looked into by the Devs.
  • Rainah
    Rainah
    I'm having this exact same problem as well. :(
  • Fenbrae
    Fenbrae
    ✭✭✭
    +1

I had this problem ever since the Early Access. It would show up after a few hours of gameplay though.
    I logged in this evening to play some more and now i'm stuck in this rut after 15 minutes of play.

Noone even talks about this invisibility/phasing bug. You'd think other people have the same problem, being a megaserver and everything.
    Edited by Fenbrae on April 4, 2014 9:40PM
    Currently playing:
    Swims-In-Sap - CP200+ - Argonian Templar

I like my healing like i like my characters: generic
  • Afevis
    Afevis
    Same issue here. Happens alot with critical NPCs as well.
  • Citrus333
    Citrus333
    Same issue as well, I've played basically every MMO to date and have not had this issue. I meet the requirements to play the game, AND did not have this problem during the beta.

Would love an official response to this problem.
  • jonjweaver_ESO
    I just started (level 20) having a similar issue that requires me to /reloadui at most new groups of enemies that I come to. It seems to only effect hostile npcs and other players (hostile or not). I have not had any problems with architecture and my pc specs are far beyond recommendations.
  • imnotrachel
    imnotrachel
    Soul Shriven
    I've had these issues even since beta and its the worst
    but If you go into your documents and then to elder scrolls online, live and click usersettings, open it and change RequestedNumThreads to 3 ( if its at -1 start at 0 and see how it goes from there but 3 worked best for me).
    it sort of made it more bearable
    Edited by imnotrachel on April 5, 2014 3:33AM
  • Karenna
    Karenna
    ✭✭
    I appear to have the same issue...a /reloadui will work...for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Citrus333
    Citrus333
    I've had these issues even since beta and its the worst
    but If you go into your documents and then to elder scrolls online, live and click usersettings, open it and change RequestedNumThreads to 3 ( if its at -1 start at 0 and see how it goes from there but 3 worked best for me).
    it sort of made it more bearable

What does this setting change exactly?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Hi Everyone,

There is some troubleshooting for this issue found in the thread linked below.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/66153/takes-long-time-for-objects-players-npc-s-to-show-up-on-screen/

Please give those steps a try and let us know if you have any luck with them.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • BrotherPain
    BrotherPain
    Soul Shriven
    I tried the listed steps in order

- Installed the latest nVidia drivers: No effect
    - Turned the graphics to minimum: No effect (and I had to turn up the settings afterwards, since the game is too depressingly ugly to play at minimum)
    - Edited "SET RequestedNumThreads "X" to 3 in UserSettings.txt in the Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/liveeu folder: No effect
    - Repaired the game: Was unable to log in for a few tries (201 error), and when I was able to log in, the game seemed fixed. The inside of the bank of Daggerfall was populated with both characters and furniture. Once I went outside and moved a bit away, the problem was back, with the world only very slowly becoming populated.

So unfortunately the steps didn't work.

(Btw, you really should add a sticky for this problem in the technical support section)
  • c6603
    c6603
    this started for me today, /reloadui works a tinsy bit as a temporal fix.
    Edited by c6603 on April 5, 2014 1:45PM
  • BrotherPain
    BrotherPain
    Soul Shriven
    Right, this bug is still there, and exploring further in the world feels like an unpleasant chore instead of being fun. :(
    I've no idea what causes this, though since it wasn't there in beta, I'm guessing it's due to some server issue or something.
    In any case, I've cancelled my sub, almost purely because of this. I guess I'll come back when they finally get around to fixing this. If they ever do.