The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Recommendations for New Stamblade

LettuceBrain
LettuceBrain
✭✭✭
I am a relatively new player, and I just made a stamblade. I am an Imperial and I'm looking to have a DW/Bow build. As the title says, I just want some recommendations for:

Sets
Useful Skills
Ways to Level
Anything else you think will be helpful

Please and thank you!
they/them/theirs
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welcome the game!

A place to start is UESP. Read through this and start to understanding the basics of game. Loads of content.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online

Questing is a bit messy at first, so this hopefully helps you understand this core gameplay element:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order#latest

Here's some useful resources for builds and skills:
    https://www.hacktheminotaur.com/community-builds/20-best-nightblade-builds-for-eso
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-stamina-nightblade-build-pve/
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-stamina-nightblade-build-for-pve/

As you level, explore your skills and how they feel. Ultimately, try to have fun with it. The Hack the Minotaur builds focus more on fun, so I'd start there. These builds also outline food and other necessities like Mundus stone and attribute allocation.

Leveling can be done in so many ways. Questing, pvp, dungeon finder, and open world events and public dungeons.

Identify a rotation and learn attack weaving, which is honestly a bit clunky to maintain.
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I watch HTM a lot so it's nice to see his builds are recommended. I have light attack weaving mostly down already.

What would you say is the best way to level? Based on some things I did with other characters I believe I got the most experience from random normal dungeons (I don't have a character good enough for veteran content yet). Am I mistaken in that or is that one of the better ways to level?

Again, thanks.
    they/them/theirs
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a relatively new player, and I just made a stamblade. I am an Imperial and I'm looking to have a DW/Bow build. As the title says, I just want some recommendations for:

Sets
    Useful Skills
    Ways to Level
    Anything else you think will be helpful

Please and thank you!

Here are some tips: have a skill from each class skill line on your bar, and then one for dagger and one for bow (even if that hand is equipped a bow or dagger, it doesn't matter, the line will level as long as you have a skill from it slotted), this way they will all level at similar pace. Pick some magicka skills as well, and don't morph them to stamina right away: until you reach 50 I think it's more beneficial to have a hybrid spec, and it helps with resources. If you use something like swallow soul, you can use it to heal conditionally while you do damage until you get vigor, plus you have an ultimate that offers healing too and can benefit the group if they are also lowbie characters. Even when I know a character will eventually become a stamblade (and I have 4 at the moment), I always level them as hybrids, and I find it much easier this way. Besides class and weapon skills, make sure to start levelling fighter's guild from barbed trap that will boost your damage, vigor for healing from the assault line, and alchemy for the medicinal passive. Get the passives that give you sustain, or lower the cost of your skills, with low level characters, sustain is your main issue. However, since you are an imperial, you will have race passives that help with that, so in your case it won't be as bad. Also, make sure to get cloak, it will help with avoiding mobs that you don't like to fight when doing stuff like overland farming, for example. For sets, a hunding's rage set would be nice from crafted, and spriggan's from overland (bangkorai) or briarheart (wrothgar--you can even get the dagger from doing a quest in the zone), and from easy dungeons, leviathan is also very good (crypt of hearts 1). This patch we got another good dungeon set (kinras from blackdrake villa), which is a dlc that you can do after lvl45 on normal, I believe. These sets should hold you over for a while, but ideally when you start raiding and looking to do more dps you should swap to other things, that will server you when that time comes, and there's plenty of guides for those builds.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I watch HTM a lot so it's nice to see his builds are recommended. I have light attack weaving mostly down already.

What would you say is the best way to level? Based on some things I did with other characters I believe I got the most experience from random normal dungeons (I don't have a character good enough for veteran content yet). Am I mistaken in that or is that one of the better ways to level?

Again, thanks.

Honestly, best way for me has been leveling in dungeon finder randoms. But that'll be quicker if you're a healer or tank. In my early days, I leveled through the zone stories and completion. Given it's your first playthrough, that might be something to consider. Zone completion gives you a lot of goodies for your collections, skill points, and even mages guild progress. It's not quick though, just be ready for that.
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great pieces of advice so far :)

I wouldn't stress too much about sets as you start out (remember that the equipment will not become obsolete at level 50 CP 160 so before that, you'll have to change it quite often). If you see that you like doing dungeons, I would try to make a couple of sets from what drops there in medium weight. Eg, Fungal Grotto 1 drops viper's sting in medium and dreugh kingslayer in heavy (you could use jewellery and weapons of that) which is not a bad start IMO. You may also want to wear one piece light and one heavy to level up those skill lines 'cause.. you never know, you may change your mind later!

Regarding skills, I'd keep one of each class line and weapon of choice slotted. I usually like to experiment with those, slowly level them all up and chose what works best for me.

I've levelled my main by simply playing the game (quests and kills) but as someone already suggested, I too levelled up an alt doing random dungeons. Note that you'll want to queue for random, otherwise queues for DD role will be quite long for specific dungeons. Fortunately enough, you'll unlock new dungeons as you level up so, eg, at level 10 even if you queue for random, you'll end up in Fungal Grotto 1.

Maybe your experience will differ from mine, but nightblades can be tricky to play, not the easiest class, but it's well worth the effort IMO. What works for me (though I main a magblade) is to go 100% offensive and learn to stay alive. Maybe this is not the best piece of advice for someone that is starting out but I think that seeing that you have a good output while being forced to learn how to avoid reds, when to interrupt etc, will help you in the long run.
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the information :)

I have been working on the Orsinium quests and I was wondering if Briarheart is still a good set to farm since I'm there. I know that it is probably meaningless at my current level of 15 to try to get a set, but would that be a good choice for once I'm leveled?
    they/them/theirs
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have been working on the Orsinium quests and I was wondering if Briarheart is still a good set to farm since I'm there. I know that it is probably meaningless at my current level of 15 to try to get a set, but would that be a good choice for once I'm leveled?

Its a decent set, probably a step below the trials gear like Relequen or AY. I'd say its in the league of Leviathan.

There are always changes to stam gear with every patch and update, but the one constant over the years has been Relequen. But remember, that is primarily for group play and for players with the skill and CP to keep stacks and damage up. Briarheart doesn't have those prerequisites so its easier for newer players to use.

One last thing to consider is Werewolf. I know there have been some changes made in the last update, but it still works well with stamblades. The stamblade ulti is pretty weak so you can justify putting the Werewolf ulti on your bar and benefit from increased sustain while keeping Dawnbreaker on your back bar.
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭

Its a decent set, probably a step below the trials gear like Relequen or AY. I'd say its in the league of Leviathan.

There are always changes to stam gear with every patch and update, but the one constant over the years has been Relequen. But remember, that is primarily for group play and for players with the skill and CP to keep stacks and damage up. Briarheart doesn't have those prerequisites so its easier for newer players to use.

One last thing to consider is Werewolf. I know there have been some changes made in the last update, but it still works well with stamblades. The stamblade ulti is pretty weak so you can justify putting the Werewolf ulti on your bar and benefit from increased sustain while keeping Dawnbreaker on your back bar.

How do I get Relequen? Not something I will do now, but maybe once I have mastered the class a little more. I don't think I will be a werewolf either, but thanks for the suggestion.
    they/them/theirs
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How do I get Relequen? Not something I will do now, but maybe once I have mastered the class a little more. I don't think I will be a werewolf either, but thanks for the suggestion.

Its in the Cloudrest trial. I would wait until you hit level 160 to do that. When you do, its not hard to get and you only want body pieces (or jewelry) due to how it works (it won't carry over from front to back bar if you don't have a full 5 pieces when you switch from front to back bar).

Until then, a set like Hundlings Rage is also really strong with Briarheart