The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Plentiful Harvest Passive does not equal 50%... TESTED

• MissPan3024
    MissPan3024
    ✭✭✭
    Are there plans to correct this tooltip? Even with amazing RNG (yesterday I logged in and was pulling 3 potent nirncrux every 20 minutes, double Kuta too) I am only getting the 50% bonus on 2 out of 6 survey nodes. Some surveys only gave the bonus 1 out 6 nodes. And I did at least 30 surveys. With amazing RNG.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rittings wrote: »
    Yeah I saw your post on that... I went back and logged another 1000 chests in thieves guild heists... still was around the 55-60 range... maybe it’s those particular chests in a closed instance...

Sure, that might be the case? I was farming overland Wrothgar, for the most part. I dunno.

You would think though, a closed instance should give undiluted results - since no other players are affecting the results. You could be in Wrothgar getting lucky, whilst some other poor soul could be shredding lockpicks like crazy lol - and the two of you come out at that same 55-60 range...
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw your post on that... I went back and logged another 1000 chests in thieves guild heists... still was around the 55-60 range... maybe it’s those particular chests in a closed instance...

Sure, that might be the case? I was farming overland Wrothgar, for the most part. I dunno.

You would think though, a closed instance should give undiluted results - since no other players are affecting the results. You could be in Wrothgar getting lucky, whilst some other poor soul could be shredding lockpicks like crazy lol - and the two of you come out at that same 55-60 range...

Honestly, no. I disagree because if other players impact my results, then all our data regarding nodes is invalid. If you think being in a closed solo instance is the only way to get "true" RNG, then all of our non-survey node data is useless. I mean, if you think one player farming chests in Wrothgar would somehow give me "better" luck than usual, then imagine what all the farmers in Craglorn must be doing to my data!

Except that's not how that works.

The way chest RNG works, and the way the node RNG works for that matter, is that every chance is a clean roll.

What that means is that every time I interact with a node, the dice is rolled, unaffected by my previous rolls or by anyone else on the server for that matter. (Unless someone previously opened the node or chest, but those are obvious. I excluded those chests, and I assume everyone excluded those nodes. In any case, at the numbers we're dealing with, the impact of errors would be miniscule.)

That doesn't mean that someone else couldn't be getting on the low end of the results, while I get the normal to high end of results. That's what happened with us! I got 85.3% success on over 1000 85% simple chests, and 82.4% on nearly 750 80% Intermediate Chests. Unlike your results, I'm well within the variance one would expect from the expected RNG.

Incidentally, this is exactly what isn't happening with all our node results, as no one is getting over 50% with batchs of any decent size. Heck, no one is even getting close to 50%. The more data we gather, we are not getting closer to the final result.

Now, I despise heists, or I'd offer to go log my own findings. Sorry, I just can't stand them.

My concern and suspicion is that it's the other way around. If Overland chests are performing within the expected range at over 2,000 chests logged, but instanced heist chests are falling well below the expected range at 3000 chests logged, which one do you think is more likely to have the bugged RNG?

Heists are a closed, solo instance and so I fear they are thus more likely for ZOS to be able to change the RNG on those chests in particular. Now would they do that? I dunno. Maybe to hike the difficulty of heists or to reduce the amount of farming that players can do in the closed instance? I dunno, and I have no clue if that might account for your bad luck.

But I don't believe that my relative good luck on overland chests was influenced by the actions of other players, or that the true chest RNG is 55-60% and so while I was getting 85% luck on over 1000 simple chests, some other poor sap was getting 30-35% bad luck on over 1000 sinple chests. The RNG is supposed to be a clean roll, unaffected by other players. If it's not, then most of the work done in this thread is invalid.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could be right... sounds logical.

Not that all this matters right now - all those delicious mats we are harvesting are going into a bugged craft bag that we can't get stuff out of, or even scroll through lol.