The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Options for non-Proc S/B Burst-style damage.

Sahidom
Sahidom
✭✭✭✭
Community.

I was looking to get your feedback on the topic line with your theory crafting expertise. What are some options for S/B front/back to generate enough threatful Burst without going into Proc sets; Skill based, magicka damage skills would be better than stamina. Ideally, I thought of layering damage bonuses e.g. Major Berserk, Malacath Band. to improve burst output. I was looking at pairing Essence Thief and Kinras's Wrath. What are you thoughts?
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends whether you also want to use sword and board skills or not.
    Since their dmg isn't super high typically.
    You could play around power slam tho, you can build some decent dmg on it when fully stacked, and don't necesseraly need to go full dmg either.
    For class I'd go stamden, as they're not as married to 2hander as most others, since you want double s/b.
    Combo would be sub assault+power slam and prob db, when you have it up.
    Pierce armor for big armor debuff.
    For sets I would only use 1 %dmg set, as they get less effective the more you stack.
    For a burst setup I wouldn't use kinras wrath, as it takes time to build up, maybe go fury since you will be blocking and taking dmg anyway while building power slam stacks.
    That's about it.
  • Sleep724
    Sleep724
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knight Errant could be one set to use if you’re not going to cyrodill. However, whatever you use you want to make sure you penetration is high enough. I always have a sharpened weapon and start with la/puncture/bash then power slam or even deep slash as I feel power slam can be a little more difficult to weave in my experience.

But like was already said a Warden would be great to use for this with shalks and even more damage done with the animal companion passive and if bird of prey is slotted for the minor berserk. I do use one proc set that can hit at the same time as the above mentioned combo as I have a DK with that setup. But if you use Warden and power slam what would your CC be not having reverb? Either way let us know what you come up with.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will do.

Kinras Wrath does have a build up, however, once it's built up then you have Major Berserk. I will try Warden as the base class with its passives to also gain Minor Berserk to add the extra 5% damage.

Even when the +% damage is multiplicity, the stacking would still generate strong damage numbers.

Plus, I move to a proc set for offense to *** put some pressure since m/M Berserk buffs those numbers with Malacath Band. Push upwards to +25%, +10%, and +5% on damage, and buff my allies by 5% for their damage.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider Clever Alchemist as a 1-bar set burst enabler. Dottz runs Puncturing Remedy on his stamsorc PvP build, so that could be worth a shot.

It sounds like your hope would be to block to buff up Power Bash, then use shield charge right when Sub Assault hits (unless Dawnbreaker is up). I sorta foresee roll dodges and poofblades stopping your burst if the damage is too low, based on my experience fighting stamdens running even higher-damage kits like 2-hander. Some manner of DoTs or an undodgeable AoE would help.

Curious what you find out to make the build work for you :~)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    An update for those interested.

I decided upon building a magCrow s/b + staff or s/b character. I realize that magCrows fall into the same category as magBlades, which lack enough class burst without proc set assistance in PVP; however, the build is for general gameplay with enough capability to bring meaningful contribution to veteran dungeons and group play.

SO, I decided to run with Healer's Habit on the s/b back bar. This set is very strong when ZOS added +5% Healing Done and Minor Mending for the 5 pc set bonus. It drops in Dragon Star Arena, so getting pieces took awhile to farm out. Without the Ritual mundus stone, I was testing the set's effectiveness in duels: how good would my class heals be? The character was able to heal through heavy focused attacks and multiple damaging proc sets with limited blocks, as necessary to cancel CC effects, followed up with a dodge roll. Therefore, the set will stay on the character since the exceptional healing done% was enough to rely on class kit heals without needing to slot a Restoration Staff.

Some CP stars that contributed to the heal-through crap survival,

Focused Mending (+10% healing done, single-target healing)
    Blessed (+4% healing done)
    Quick Recovery (+4% healing done)

For a sweet total of 31% healing done plus any +% healing received.

I was using Oblivion's Foe and Skoria for damage, and these sets work fine in general PVE gameplay; BUT the character still needs a stronger single-target burst combo. What sets would you recommend for a 5pc + 2pc monster helm (or using 7pcs total) to generate the necessary burst requirement for the build? This is more for PVP gameplay than PVE where the logic follows the damage is transferrable to PVE content play.