Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

Ring of Malacath changed, can someone do the math..

olsborg
olsborg
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Can someone do the math if its nerf or if its buff or whatever.

Supposedly according to some site it is changed to increase your damage output by 16%, but reduces your critical chance by 50% (and I dont know if its cut in half or reduces the % by a flat 50%)

PC EU
PvP only
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the source? 16% to all damage, and now allows crit even at a massively reduced chance? If they wanted one ring to rule them all they should have bought the Tolkien intellectual property.

To answer your question it will be a 9% nerf in almost all cases, but on crit will become a massive buff.

But here's how it will actually play out:

Players who previously ignore Malacath because it disabled crits (Nightblade) will now start running it. NBs will run it because they have guaranteed crit from cloak and malakath will be OP on them. ZoS will address this by removing the 100% crit chance from the class. Then, six months down the line, they will nerf malakath too, to be a more sensible item.

Net result: another class nerf because they didn't think it all through.
    Options
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    What's the source? 16% to all damage, and now allows crit even at a massively reduced chance? If they wanted one ring to rule them all they should have bought the Tolkien intellectual property.

To answer your question it will be a 9% nerf in almost all cases, but on crit will become a massive buff.

Players who previously ignore Malacath because it disabled crits (Nightblade) will now start running it. NBs will run it because they have guaranteed crit from cloak and malakath will be OP on them. ZoS will address this by removing the 100% crit chance from the class. Then, six months down the line, they will nerf malakath too, to be a more sensible item.

It got leaked by someone under NDA, and anyone linking it here is crazy
    Edited by Flaaklypa on April 16, 2021 1:35PM
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hah, I think youre right, its happened before.. but thx

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Flaaklypa wrote: »

Content creators were allowed to share some details. Not sure if the actual values were allowed to be published tho.

I think this change might have some silly side effects, like acuity bombers.
    I don't know how strong that would be on nightblade considering cloak only grants guaranteed crit on 1 attack.
    Looking at the lineup of new mythics, gaze of sithis has me more worried, roll polly stamblades can wear this and just never die basically.
    Options
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Man, I don't get it why ZOS must make all changes overly complicated. Just prevent Malacath from buffing procsets and you're golden.
    Options
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All they had to do was reduce the damage from 25% to 20% and the ring would be balanced smh.
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My my my ..
    ..mechanical acuity will become BIS.
    Options
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We already have some bets going on how they'll try to present removing the crit guarantee from cloak as a buff to nightblades. :|
    Options
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    My my my ..

Yeah, it will be insanely powerful with MA. 100% crit with 16% damage increase.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My my my ..

If the change is correct and the other new set abilities that have come out are as well, I can already think of some crazy broken set combinations.
    Options
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, even if this all guaranted crits scenarios will be treated as 100% decreased to 50% with ring - still it will be OP
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
    Options
  • Sangwyne
    Sangwyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    >.>

<.<

...Venomous Smite, anyone? Or Caluurions? I am glad they are finally addressing Malacath, but I don't know if this is the right direction. I guess they addressed critical healing, at least.
    Options
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why I no longer buy dlc's & xpacs on release anymore for "bis", too much of a rollercoaster.

Start low, & raise up would be better for balance, maybe not so much for sales though.
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My my my ..
    My my my ..

Read the tooltip for MA again. It does not guarantee a crit. It adds 100% crit chance. Meaning that using MA and the new Malacath only results in 50% crit chance. Still not bad while MA is active but not nearly as powerful as you are thinking.

Also these numbers are subject to change. The test version isn't even the latest dev version and even that one isn't the PTS version.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thread started 10 hrs ago.
    the fact this thread wasn't deleted by now points to it not being leaked info.

Edited by Gilvoth on April 16, 2021 11:10PM
    Options
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PTS is going live on Monday and changes will be public, so why bother with it.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »

thread started 10 hrs ago.
    the fact this thread wasn't deleted by now points to it not being leaked info.

It is leaked info, but I think ZOS realizes that there is no point in supressing that info, especially if PTS starts on monday.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make Malacath not impact procs, jeez now I feel as if I spent all that time grinding for nothing. GG zos.
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So without Malacath and without crit modifiers, having a 32% crit chance would be equal to malacath

Having any crit chance with 0 modifiers over 32% would mean that adding malacath would provide a net loss in the long run.

Having lower than 32% crit with no modifiers would mean a net gain with malacath.

The more crit damage modifiers u have the less crit chance u need to make malacath a net loss.

Malacath + guaranteed crits = massive gain.

Edit: even at 99% crit chance malacath is a net loss by approx 5%

Edit 2: important factor is it still buffs procs, which also will depend on their curve to wpn/spell dmg
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 17, 2021 6:01AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options