The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Faith In ZOS Restored! Crown Crate Items buyable with new In Game Currency!

VoidCommander
VoidCommander
✭✭✭✭✭
I have had several threads on this forum discussing the archaic and morally questionable use of crown crates (loot boxes) in ESO. But now, with todays announcement (4/15/2021), there will finally be a way for players to buy the 1-3 items they want from a crown crate season without having to fork over either millions of gold or hundreds of dollars. I never truly believed this day would come, but so it has. This is a MASSIVE step forward in the right direction, and I am very proud of ZOS for bringing us this feature, even if it can only get us the equivalent of 100 gems per month, it is still far better than what we have access to currently.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive surprise, huh? Nobody saw this coming.

I'm torn between loving this and begrudging the fact that I will feel forced to play the game more than I may want to... every... single... day... like a job. When Fallout 76 added their seasonal reward progression, I was similarly faced with this consequence. All the rewards seemed really cool at first, but the repetitiveness and sheer length of time it took to get through the dailies every day eventually turned me off from the game entirely. I don't foresee myself ever returning.

So, I really hope these dailies are very minimal in terms of time engagement.

• LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted
    Edited by LightYagami on April 16, 2021 12:10PM
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • wDzZ
    wDzZ
    ✭✭✭
    It was pointed out that this change will make ESO compliant with the XBOX policy on loot box items.

"2. Items in loot boxes can always be earned through play. All items available through paid loot boxes in our games will also be available through unpaid opportunity by gameplay (i.e. grinding)."

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/community/for-everyone/responsible-gaming/loot-boxes/

So, although I am happy we got a nice way of earning cosmetics and a way to avoid gambling crates, I wouldn't say it was out of good will only.
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (mission accomplished, with new currency they seem to slowly forget about performance issues and all the promises we have made)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I'm very surprised but very pleased to see them do this. (And I suspect it is largely to bring them in line with Microsoft's policies.)

I'm waiting to see the specifics of how much time it takes to get anything worth having and what you have to do before I decide how much I'll use the new system, but even if it's annoying at least there is an alternative.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wDzZ wrote: »
    It was pointed out that this change will make ESO compliant with the XBOX policy on loot box items.

"2. Items in loot boxes can always be earned through play. All items available through paid loot boxes in our games will also be available through unpaid opportunity by gameplay (i.e. grinding)."

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/community/for-everyone/responsible-gaming/loot-boxes/

So, although I am happy we got a nice way of earning cosmetics and a way to avoid gambling crates, I wouldn't say it was out of good will only.

Yeah it was definitely a legal reason behind it, and I think it will still be way faster to farm the gold and get gifted crates than farm the new currency.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    wDzZ wrote: »

So this brings up a good subject though: If you can't grind enough to purchase those items right away, is it still fair that you didn't already have enough seals to purchase that item that was showcased for a limited time?

I literally am afraid to spend any endeavor seals at all because the prices for some things are still out of reach. I'm sitting around 5,000 seals with inconsistent gameplay since seals were first released. I've basically reviewed all previous crate seasons and will only spend seals on a couple of items now since their value is so poor.

But ZoS, if you were to say--put those old crate items for direct purchase, maybe I'd dig into more crowns to purchase that stuff... Until then. Gonna keep grinding away and saving seals since no one wants my money beyond ESO+.