The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wait, what... (Interesting Update 30 Details from UESP)

ealdwin
ealdwin
✭✭✭✭✭
Alright... guys, just check out the Blackwood preview UESP has on their blog: https://blog.uesp.net/blackwood-preview-early-access/ (written by @pylawn )

Specifically, this part is particularly interesting:
You can also choose which music you want to listen to on the login screens! You can choose from the base game or any of the Chapter themes, but personally, I hope they let us add the music boxes to this in the future.

Another exciting change coming is the addition of ability timers to our action bars. Now you will be able to see the length of time left on a buff provided by one of your skills, without the need for addons if you’re on PC.
Edited by ealdwin on April 15, 2021 6:17PM
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thats nice, doing my writs in Vivec city always reminds me of how much I liked that music. It will be nice to hear the original theme again.

And dare I hope - selectable character screens ?
    Edited by Hurbster on April 15, 2021 3:23PM
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you could already see buffs (and debuffs) without using addons? I've not used it much because I decided I preferred the way I had Srendarr set up, but I'm sure the option is there.

The option to change the music is nice though. Probably not something I'd use as I'm never on the login screen for long and often have the sound off but I know it's been asked for regularly so it's nice that they're doing it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Choosing login screen music isnt being able to turn off the combat music in game.

Still sad.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope they make the in game music volume setting work on the login screen.
    Nothing like timing out dropping to login and waking up the whole house. lol
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I thought you could already see buffs (and debuffs) without using addons? I've not used it much because I decided I preferred the way I had Srendarr set up, but I'm sure the option is there.

The option to change the music is nice though. Probably not something I'd use as I'm never on the login screen for long and often have the sound off but I know it's been asked for regularly so it's nice that they're doing it.

The current vanilla ability timers don't show on the actual skills (like some PC addons do) and are really awful and hard to read, since it's basically a ''show all active effects feature,'' like showing ESO plus, mundus, etc. Just really cluttered and awful
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This looks so exciting can't wait!
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Technically you can, but the usability is quite low as what you end up with is a very broad strip of tiny icons, continually shifting, and with no real way to interpret many of them.
    Edited by kringled_1 on April 15, 2021 3:47PM
  • The_Old_Goat
    The_Old_Goat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that they're adding the ability to choose your starting area after completing the new character creation tutorial, that is a huge improvement alone.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Alright... guys, just check out the Blackwood preview UESP has on their blog: https://blog.uesp.net/blackwood-preview-early-access/

You can also choose which music you want to listen to on the login screens! You can choose from the base game or any of the Chapter themes, but personally, I hope they let us add the music boxes to this in the future.

Another exciting change coming is the addition of ability timers to our action bars. Now you will be able to see the length of time left on a buff provided by one of your skills, without the need for addons if you’re on PC.

Sure, being able to change the music is nice, but it's not especially relevant to game play.

Action Duration Reminder has been an add-on since the beginning. Making it part of the official game isn't anything new from ZOS either, someone else did that.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see we probably won't be putting just any armor set on our companions, special gear drops for them.
    Will be interesting to see if companions are in the first PTS release on Monday.

"Companions also have their own gear system and can’t use normal gear that you have found on your journey. However, this new gear will only drop when you have your companion active. Currently, companion gear won’t have any set bonuses, but there are new traits that help their abilities in combat."
    Edited by TequilaFire on April 15, 2021 3:49PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that they're adding the ability to choose your starting area after completing the new character creation tutorial, that is a huge improvement alone.

I agree. I'm really looking forward to that. I actually deleted my warden and re-made her after Greymoor came out because the Morrowind intro made no sense at all for her but the Greymoor one was a good fit. It's just lucky they were released that way around, but annoying it was so long between the two.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new system works and hoping it will be much better than what we have now.
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Technically you can, but the usability is quite low as what you end up with is a very broad strip of tiny icons, continually shifting, and with no real way to interpret many of them.

Oh I see. I remember you couldn't get the timer bars that Srendarr does, which is what put me off using them, but I didn't realise it was that limited.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Alright... guys, just check out the Blackwood preview UESP has on their blog: https://blog.uesp.net/blackwood-preview-early-access/

Sure, being able to change the music is nice, but it's not especially relevant to game play.

Action Duration Reminder has been an add-on since the beginning. Making it part of the official game isn't anything new from ZOS either, someone else did that.

True, but addons are just for PC players, like myself. Console players who can't use addons might find this change interesting. Sure, they might not be the biggest changes (we won't see any hint of combat changes until the Update 30 Combat preview or pts), but they are interesting and often enough requested features.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Update 30 definitely seems like a step in the right direction. I'm feeling more excited for this expansion than last year's offering.

Just some thoughts on that fantastic blog:
    1. Endeavors are promising because they give us a new way to acquire valuable content. I appreciate them adding in-game alternatives to acquiring crown crate content. Seeing a full inventory of what you can get through these is going to be exciting.
    2. The portals sound appealing. I know they're banking on some nostalgia here, but those were fun in TES IV, so I'm excited to see them modernized in this game. It'll be interesting to how players are incentivized to do these events.
    3. The new tutorial sounds promising, but I'm cautious too.. I appreciate they're making an effort to improve the New Player Experience, but I'm curious to see how this impacts existing characters. Does it help existing character navigate the noise of content they've yet to engage? I hope this solution helps streamline quest delivery for all of us, not just new characters. If not, I'm not sure the value of this solution will be fully realized. Here's to hoping!
    4. Companions sound promising as well. The reveals around companions have really whet my appetite to use them. My only real concerns for this are having them obstruct interactive objects and their impact on performance in cities. We already have countless non-combat pets (assuming the companions will behavior similarly) and class pets, so it worries that we'll have these more complex objects with inventories, outfits, mounts, and other calculations that have to happen. Fingers crossed they manage this well.
    5. I love that they're adding the ability to chose soundtrack on login. Eventually, sad trombone. It's good to shake it up and revisit old tunes, especially if my current character is on that old content. I only wish they were also giving us the option to disable combat music.
    6. Adding cooldowns will help me be better as a console player. Addons are a great place for QoL inspiration and I appreciate them learning some lessons and integrating that functionality for all of us to enjoy.
    Edited by Destai on April 15, 2021 7:59PM
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to that. I've been wanting to hear the main main theme in game ever since I heard it the first time
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those features sound dope
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool but you only spend like 10 seconds on the char screen
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yesyesyesyesyes

I want to hear vanilla/summerset again!
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

I'd also love a skip button for the handful of overland tracks that need skipping, a taciturn/silent PC voice set, and a toggle for repetitive NPC dialogue (Can you believe it? DRAGONS!). Maybe we'll get them, I have faith in the sound and music guys.

There have been tons of small QOL improvements in the past few patches. That's great. Little things add up.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "(...) When you interact with the world in different ways, your companion will react and decide if they like you more or less. For example, stealing from an NPC while your law-abiding companion is out will cause them to not trust you as much. (...)"

My companion will be like:
    200.gif
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, we wanted to let you know the ability to change the title music unfortunately got moved out of Update 30 and will instead be in a future update. The ability bar timers are still planned for Update 30, though, which you'll be able to check out on the PTS next Monday.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, we wanted to let you know the ability to change the title music unfortunately got moved out of Update 30 and will instead be in a future update. The ability bar timers are still planned for Update 30, though, which you'll be able to check out on the PTS next Monday.

Well, some day. :D
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"Companions also have their own gear system and can’t use normal gear that you have found on your journey.

What about crafted gear?

What about the outfit system?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Could you maybe ask someone if we could get control over the Intro and character screen volume.
    It can be scary loud at times. lol
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

"Companions also have their own gear system and can’t use normal gear that you have found on your journey.

What about crafted gear?

All we know is in the blog article quote.
  • pylawn
    pylawn
    Soul Shriven
    I've updated the article to mention that it's no longer in Update 30! Sorry everyone!

What about crafted gear?

Also to answer this one (from what I found at least) I couldn't find a way to craft the gear so I don't believe we can make it as it's not like normal gear and is specifically just for companions. You can use outfits though and going to an Outfit station there were new tabs to create an outfit for them. I thought that was already covered in the ESO Live but I can add that to the article to clarify.
    Host of the UESPodcast & A/V Content Director for UESP.net
    Editor for the UESP Blog
    PC-NA

https://twitch.tv/UESP
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pylawn wrote: »
    I've updated the article to mention that it's no longer in Update 30! Sorry everyone!

What about crafted gear?

Also to answer this one (from what I found at least) I couldn't find a way to craft the gear so I don't believe we can make it as it's not like normal gear and is specifically just for companions. You can use outfits though and going to an Outfit station there were new tabs to create an outfit for them. I thought that was already covered in the ESO Live but I can add that to the article to clarify.

@pylawn thanks for the update and the original blog post giving some insight into what we can expect in Update 30!
  • Trevore
    Trevore
    ✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    Update 30 definitely seems like a step in the right direction. I'm feeling more excited for this expansion than last year's offering.

Just some thoughts on that fantastic blog:
    1. Endeavors are promising because they give us a new way to acquire valuable content. I appreciate them adding in-game alternatives to acquiring crown crate content. Seeing a full inventory of what you can get through these is going to be exciting.
    2. The portals sound appealing. I know they're banking on some nostalgia here, but those were fun in TES IV, so I'm excited to see them modernized in this game. It'll be interesting to how players are incentivized to do these events.
    3. The new tutorial sounds promising, but I'm cautious too.. I appreciate they're making an effort to improve the New Player Experience, but I'm curious to see how this impacts existing characters. Does it help existing character navigate the noise of content they've yet to engage? I hope this solution helps streamline quest delivery for all of us, rather than new characters. If not, I'm not sure the value of this solution will be fully realized. Here's to hoping!
    4. Companions sound promising as well. The reveals around companions have really whet my appetite to use them. My only real concerns for this are having them obstruct interactive objects and their impact on performance in cities. We already have countless non-combat pets (assuming the companions will behavior similarly) and class pets, so it worries that we'll have these more complex objects with inventories, outfits, mounts, and other calculations that have to happen. Fingers crossed they manage this well.
    5. I love they're adding the ability to chose soundtrack on login. It's good to shake it up and revisit old tunes, especially if my current character is on that old content. I only wish they were also giving us the option to disable combat music.
    6. Adding cooldowns will help me be better as a console player. Addons are a great place for QoL inspiration and I appreciate them learning some lessons and integrating that functionality for all of us to enjoy.

I agree with a lot of these statements. I am personally hoping that there will be notifications (like highlights around the ability that is timed, or something) whenever an ability is about to run out, so I can use it again without forgetting that I'm running out of time. Even though the ability to change the login music is being pushed back, I'm hoping they'll still release it (hopefully with the option to disable combat music in the same update!) eventually. After all, we're still waiting for two-person mounts, but I am patient.
    Gamertag: MagicalTringusXbox One | NA|Trevore Lombardi [DC ] - Imperial Dragonknight [PvP/PvE Tank]]Samuel Elias Xarxes [DC] - Altmer Sorcerer [Magicka DPS]Solaris Carona [DC] - Breton Templar [Magicka DPS]Alice Barbie Angel [DC] - Breton Necromancer [Magicka DPS]Trevore Nightshade [DC] - Imperial Nightblade [Stamina PvP DPS]Nemo Tigerclaw [DC] - Khajit Nightblade [Stamina PvE DPS]Thomas Ganks [DC] - Dunmer Nightblade [Magicka PvP DPS]Volga Valkyn Skoria [DC] - Dunmer Dragonknight [Stamina PvP DPS]
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah very interesting but also a little tugging at the strings of the heart.

This one remembers her preview article for Elsweyr. The month of so many secrets, so much rewriting of the article in the head while not being able to get a second opinion on any of it as you usually would when writing.

Looking forward to seeing Test Tamriel update 30 for herself next week, mostly anything housing related.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm generally lukewarm on this Chapter since it is doing nothing from a combat perspective, but... the Endeavors system sounds like a FANTASTIC addition to the game!

Even if the number required is crazy high (which it probably will be) it is quite good form to at least have an avenue to earn Crown Store items through in-game activities. Well-done, ZOS.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Could you maybe ask someone if we could get control over the Intro and character screen volume.
    It can be scary loud at times. lol

OMG I thought this was just my TV or something. Glad I'm not alone!