The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elemental Blockade needs a buff

MindOfTheSwarm
MindOfTheSwarm
✭✭✭✭✭
Right now Unstable gives best DPS by far while blockade is barely used outside of healers and tanks when using a lightning staff. I propose that it needs a buff... but not a damage buff. I propose making its duration longer so that over the course of its duration it deals more damage total than unstable. This would mean for DPS unstable would remain best choice but blockade would be better for sustained damage and cheaper on resources.
Alternatively, unstable’s dot damage could be reduced with its burst buffed to compensate while blockade would deal more damage on its dot ticks but have no burst option. Blockade has been left behind and it needs some love.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, it would also be nice if blockade had an increased chance to proc the status effect to make it more suitable for support classes.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure what the purpose of this is? By doing the proposed you’ll likely make blockade the best dps and everyone will start using this drop unstable dot then unstable will need a buff going by your logic.

Although going by your proposal we will do less damage but have better sustain and sustain is fine just now anyways so it’s seems like an overall nerf for no reason.

I’d be for giving it an extra or better effect to align more with support class usage but trying to make it the better or same dps as the other morph is pointless as one will always better the other and be the 99% used morph for damage.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are way too obsessed by pure damage. I'm using blockade on my mNB and happy with it.
    But I'll be even more happy if ZOS decide to remove this ground-DOT-based gameplay completely. And the staff from vMA is one of the biggest mistakes ever made by them
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason blockade is less used is the need for smooth rotations.
    If most of your DoTs are in the 8-12 second duration range, extending elemental from 10 seconds to 14 just makes things needlesly finnicky.

You'd need to jack blockade up to around 16- 24 seconds so that it could be cast every second rotation in order to make it a valid alternitive for most magDPS builds.
    Doubt that's gonna happen.

14 second blockade works pretty well on a mDK BTW, because several of their class DoTs are either boosted to 14 seconds by their searing heat passives, or are around that duration by default.
    What you lose by not having the explosion you regain (give or take a little bit) from smoother rotations, better maelstrom staff uptime, burning uptime, and more hits on spread out mobs.

Blockade isn't completely ignored by magDPS.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andre_Noir wrote: »
    You are way too obsessed by pure damage. I'm using blockade on my mNB and happy with it.
    But I'll be even more happy if ZOS decide to remove this ground-DOT-based gameplay completely. And the staff from vMA is one of the biggest mistakes ever made by them

Just out of curiosity. What makes you think that? What is your issue with ground dots?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blockade is ok-ish on mag dk where you can line up you dots... It also has bigger range so it is better sometimes.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side not which I’m gonna do in another post Unstable also deals more damage as an AOE spammable than Elemental Ring.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side not which I’m gonna do in another post Unstable also deals more damage as an AOE spammable than Elemental Ring.

It deals less damage than unstable+ring though
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

You’re saying 1 tick of dot plus ring deals more? Not sure about that.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is strange that unstable's backloaded explosion goes off when recasted. I can't remember if it's always been that way but it feels wrong.

Like maybe the longer you leave it the greater proportion of the explosion it does if recasted early, but getting the full explosion immediately seems broken.

I'm not really complaining though, lol.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unstable for my MagDDs, Blockade for my MagTanks.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

It is strange that unstable's backloaded explosion goes off when recasted. I can't remember if it's always been that way but it feels wrong.

Like maybe the longer you leave it the greater proportion of the explosion it does if recasted early, but getting the full explosion immediately seems broken.

Another idea would be if skills had synergy between them. For example Elemental Ring could trigger Unstable Wall to explode, but the wall would not disappear allowing you to spam Elemental Ring and cause your wall to explode multiple times in a single cast. Obviously the explosion of wall damage would need a little nerf to compensate but could be fun. This synergistic idea could apply to other skill lines too.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alternatively you could simple have Elemental Ring deal more damage against enemies inside Wall of Elements.
  • Stevie6
    Stevie6
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game needs a damage buff all over...feels like weak sauce.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Another idea would be if skills had synergy between them. For example Elemental Ring could trigger Unstable Wall to explode, but the wall would not disappear allowing you to spam Elemental Ring and cause your wall to explode multiple times in a single cast. Obviously the explosion of wall damage would need a little nerf to compensate but could be fun. This synergistic idea could apply to other skill lines too.

I would love if there was more synergy between skills in this game. Skill combos and fields are one thing I really like about GW2 skill system. In ESO it's just stack your buffs/debuffs then spam the highest damage skills in descending order.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it would also be nice if blockade had an increased chance to proc the status effect to make it more suitable for support classes.

I'm definitely of the opinion that blockade should provide more support while unstable provides more damage. I enjoy using unstable far more because of the explosion.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm definitely of the opinion that blockade should provide more support while unstable provides more damage. I enjoy using unstable far more because of the explosion.

May be the ONLY ONE offensive magical weapon should be about DAMAGE options ? Move support options to bow, 2h etc instead ? And make 3/4 of their morfs useless as destro staff right now.

Just out of curiosity. What makes you think that? What is your issue with ground dots?

MY issue ? LOL There is clearly no issue when AoE ground based DOT vastly superior almost any single-target DOT (even on a single target) and all direct AoE spells in every aspect.
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭

MY issue ? LOL There is clearly no issue when AoE ground based DOT vastly superior almost any single-target DOT (even on a single target) and all direct AoE spells in every aspect.

One thing I liked about my 2 hander was the interaction between brawler, wrecking blow and executioner. It forced a decision between cleave, ST and execute, and going for high ST damage meant giving up defence (brawler’s shield). I found that kind of dynamic risk/reward decision making to be fun.

On my MagCrow all my abilities are cleave, ST and execute. Not a lot of need for decision making.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason blockade is less used is the need for smooth rotations.
    If most of your DoTs are in the 8-12 second duration range, extending elemental from 10 seconds to 14 just makes things needlesly finnicky.

You'd need to jack blockade up to around 16- 24 seconds so that it could be cast every second rotation in order to make it a valid alternitive for most magDPS builds.
    Doubt that's gonna happen.

14 second blockade works pretty well on a mDK BTW, because several of their class DoTs are either boosted to 14 seconds by their searing heat passives, or are around that duration by default.
    What you lose by not having the explosion you regain (give or take a little bit) from smoother rotations, better maelstrom staff uptime, burning uptime, and more hits on spread out mobs.

Blockade isn't completely ignored by magDPS.

Was going to say exactly this. The 10 second lines up neatly with most rotations with MagDK being the one exception. With the 14 second wall lining up neatly with all my other ardent flame abilities plus scalding rune that gives me a tone of extra whips to make up for the loss of the explosion at the end. I’ve tried running both and it’s a 1-2K difference between unstable and blockade with unstable being the higher of the two, but ease of use makes blockade win in my book almost every single time. Especially when running Zen’s. It’s way easier to maintain the uptimes.

I also play magblade and unstable is one of my few AOE spamable’s that I do have because of the explosion. Pretty much everything else is ST damage so when it’s time to fight trash packs I spam the hell out of it. It’s mag intensive but if you heavy attack weave it works pretty well because you just hold down attack and click the skill every second.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now Unstable gives best DPS by far while blockade is barely used outside of healers and tanks
    You said it all. DD use unstable, rest use Blockade. Nuff said.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    Right now Unstable gives best DPS by far while blockade is barely used outside of healers and tanks

Isn't that a bit of a shame though? I mean why restrict blockade to just a few roles. Why not increase its DoT damage but keep the burst on Unstable? seems like a fair trade.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »

Isn't that a bit of a shame though? I mean why restrict blockade to just a few roles. Why not increase its DoT damage but keep the burst on Unstable? seems like a fair trade.

Long ago, blockade was stronger. Nobody used unstable. Now we have those who use unstable, and ones who use blockade, I don't understand the issue.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I very much like the idea of extending Blockade's duration to be every-other rotation.

Elemental Ring, as you mention, also desperately needs a buff. Give it a cost reduction at the very least to allow classes access to a somewhat decent universal elemental spammable (though BRP Destro is probably the best place to make this change).
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind, that Ele Blockade is a much larger Area of damage. I believe it is 12x18m instead of Unstable Walls 8x18? Could be 6x18m, though. Most skill book sources online only list the 18 metre range, not the width. Which is missleading.
    So, more area means more damage to more enemies.

And the longer duration means also, that your damage glyph on the backbar ticks more often. Means also higher uptime of the buff and also more time on frontbar for spammable spamming. Which usually means higher DPS.

Most extreme example for this is the (admittedly, not ELE Blockade, but you should get the point) Stamplar with the choice betweeen time for more Jabs with Endless Hail, than with any other backbar AoE DoT. I get about 11 Jabs per one Endless Hail and only 7 to (maybe) 8 when using Arrow Barrage, Stampede or Deadly Cloack. In a 140 sec fight, one gets about four more Jabs off when using Endless Hail, than with Arrow Barrage.

That principle applies to Ele Drain, too.
    The stronger your Spammable and the longer the fight, the more you want the longer duration Morphs.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Keep in mind, that Ele Blockade is a much larger Area of damage. I believe it is 12x18m instead of Unstable Walls 8x18? Could be 6x18m, though. Most skill book sources online only list the 18 metre range, not the width. Which is missleading.
    So, more area means more damage to more enemies.

And the longer duration means also, that your damage glyph on the backbar ticks more often. Means also higher uptime of the buff and also more time on frontbar for spammable spamming. Which usually means higher DPS.

Most extreme example for this is the (admittedly, not ELE Blockade, but you should get the point) Stamplar with the choice betweeen time for more Jabs with Endless Hail, than with any other backbar AoE DoT. I get about 11 Jabs per one Endless Hail and only 7 to (maybe) 8 when using Arrow Barrage, Stampede or Deadly Cloack. In a 140 sec fight, one gets about four more Jabs off when using Endless Hail, than with Arrow Barrage.

That principle applies to Ele Drain, too.
    The stronger your Spammable and the longer the fight, the more you want the longer duration Morphs.

It comes down to dmg per cast (or GCD), spammables often deal moderate dmg per cast and DOTs often deal high dmg per cast but it takes longer to deliver all the dmg. So you apply DOTs and in the time it takes to deliver the dmg you use a spammable skill.

Templar is the exception here because Jabs is a very strong spammable so its often better to cast jabs than a DOT for example.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer