The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sorcery and Major Sorcery

HalfRain216
HalfRain216
✭✭✭
Can someone enlighten me to the difference between the two?
I have a Magsorc and trying to work out what morph to surge I should pick Crit surge or power surge.
Power surge has major sorcery where Crit surge just has sorcery both say they increase spell damage by 20%.
From my understanding major is normally 20% and normal is 10%. Is that stacking on the already 20%?
thanks

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major and minor do stack ...

As for Surge, i'm pretty sure both morphs say "Major Sorcery" on the tool tip. At least they used to.
    idea.gif

• HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

As for Surge, i'm pretty sure both morphs say "Major Sorcery" on the tool tip. At least they used to.
    idea.gif

Not anymore just checked. So power surge you would get 40% speed damage and crit you would get 30%.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Spell
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcery isn't a buff in and of itself. The specific buffs are Major and Minor Sorcery, both of which increase spell damage, and then you have Major and Minor Brutality which increase weapon damage. Both morphs of Surge give you both Major Sorcery and Major Brutality, but no minor buffs.

Edit: the differences between the morphs are in the way that they heal.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on April 13, 2021 1:07AM
    PC | EU
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    idea.gif
    Not anymore just checked. So power surge you would get 40% speed damage and crit you would get 30%.

No.

Either of the morphs of Surge give you +20% spell/weapon damage.
    Skill morphs do not stack with their "base" skill, they are a replacement.

ZOS did change the wording on the tool tip to "Major Brutality and Sorcery" which in this case means "Major Brutality and Major Sorcery".

Here's my Mag Sorc's Crit Surge showing the +20%
    post-2-1618278730.png

Edited by SirAndy on April 13, 2021 1:55AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re probably thinking of Minor Sorcery that gives 10% Spell Damage, and stacks with Major Sorcery. That is exclusive to Templar class, and is the primary reason why every group should have one.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    startrek-picard-facepalm-700x341.jpg

....comprehensive reading....
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    You’re probably thinking of Minor Sorcery that gives 10% Spell Damage, and stacks with Major Sorcery. That is exclusive to Templar class, and is the primary reason why every group should have one.

Power surge says major sorcery crit surge just says sorcery. I was just wondering if there is a difference between the two. On sorcerer.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    startrek-picard-facepalm-700x341.jpg

....comprehensive reading....

I have googled...
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Power surge says major sorcery crit surge just says sorcery. I was just wondering if there is a difference between the two. On sorcerer.

Both morphs give Maj Sorcery.

Crit Surge is like the old power surge, heals you on crit dam

Power surge heals others.

If you a magsorc DD go Crit Surge
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @HalfRain216 I see what you are saying on UESP it looks like Sorc and Maj Sorc are two different things. I think it's just a typo.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Storm_Calling

Both give Maj Sorc as a set buff. Power is a spec healer skill persay, crit a DD
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    @HalfRain216 I see what you are saying on UESP it looks like Sorc and Maj Sorc are two different things. I think it's just a typo.

Both give Maj Sorc as a set buff. Power is a spec healer skill persay, crit a DD

Yeah it’s magsorc. Must be a typo on ESO as I’m looking at the skill now. I am DD and I assumed they where both the same but just wanted to check and make sure I was getting the right one was going to go with crit for the healing anyways. Thanks
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

I think if it is a typo they need to get it sorted as a beginner it’s pretty confusing as stupid as it is. You would think most who don’t already know see two different words are going to assume it’s different.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not a typo! It is not wrong! You read it the wrong way! 🤯🙈
    It is a use of language, that requires attentive reading!☝️

It is similar to math, when two parts of a sum have a common factor in them. One can simplify the equations by doing this:
    ax+bx=x(a+b) 🤓

That means in our case:
    Major Brutality and Major Sorcery =
    Major (Brutality and Sorcery)

Just imagine the brackets to be gone. Do you understand now?😂
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on April 13, 2021 4:46PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is similar to math, when two parts of a sum have a common factor in them. One can simplify the equations by doing this:
    ax+bx=x(a+b) 🤓

That means in our case:

I get your point @Zodiarkslayer However why have it written differently on each morph. Typo perhaps is not the best word, how about proof reading.

Both in literal terms mean the same as you say, but I can see the OPs point why aren't they both written the same.

Anyway it's splitting hairs at this point. His query is sorted, both are Maj Sorcery just written in different ways (rather oddly)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭

ax+bx=x(a+b) 🤓

That means in our case:

Yeah I understand what you mean...
    I still think it’s an incorrect way to word the sentences whichever way you look at it.

Example would be if you have never played the game so you have no understanding of what major or not means. You go to morph surge.
    The first skill that come up is power critical
    It says grants major brutality and major sorcery.
    You scroll down one skill below and it says critical surge. Grants major brutality and sorcery.

Now if they were in different sections you wouldn’t bat an eye but because they are essentially in the same paragraph they have made the reader think there is a difference between the two. As they have decided to word what they intended to be the exact same thing different.

Maybe it’s just my understanding of grammar I’m from Australia.

It just confused me is all.

Thanks for explaining it.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is probably not it. I have been down under, and beyond. And I had no problems conversing with people, even grammatically correct. But people get used to audiovisual cues for understanding any given expression. That is normal. It is our social nature. If you take away these cues, there is a room for miss understandings. :)

Anyway, if I had to guess, I would say The second "Major" was deleted, because it caused a visual error with the Fonts and Image Space. Maybe not on 1920x1080, but Fonts and Image Space have to be consistent across all display sizes and scales. And when a (partially redundant) word causes the the line to break and add one more line, so that the whole text is now partially obstructing the pictues below. Well,... take it out...

That happens more often the lower your resolution gets. Older laptops were standardized to 1366x768, if I recall correctly? Or when the internal resoltution does not fit the natural resolution of the display device. Think of those giant Flat screen 8K TVs and a meekly PS4.
    It would be an elegant solution to a problem, if said problem existed in the first place.

But like I said, that is a guess, however educated.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on April 14, 2021 8:06AM
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭

That is probably not it. I have been down under, and beyond. And I had no problems conversing with people, even grammatically correct. But people get used to audiovisual cues for understanding any given expression. That is normal. It is our social nature. If you take away these cues, there is a room for miss understandings. :)

Haha yeah I wasn’t saying we are all stupid by law you have to go to year 12 here which is the highest year before uni which the majority of the population do not go. Just more laid back and pretty lax with grammar, spelling and how we speak of you have been here probably heard all the slang. Take things as there said I guess.

That happens more often the lower your resolution gets. Older laptops were standardized to 1366x768, if I recall correctly?.

No idea it’s been a long time haha.

I hear you though. Thanks for clearing it.