Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Enjoying Imperial City content without the PVP

DigiAngel
DigiAngel
✭✭✭✭✭
I realize this is probably a dumb question. As I looked at Imperial City...I'm like "oh cool..some content and missions and jazz". However, dealing with the people who are geared up for it and dying pretty instantly as a DPS is just not fun. Any way to enjoy this without the dumb? And...if the answer is "just don't play it" honestly I'm fine with that as well. Thanks.

Best Answer

• hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check which campaign has the lower pop of the other two factions and the highest of your faction and go in that one.

Go out of main gaming time.

Just accept you will die occasionally and enjoy the time.

The PvE in IC is a nice little story, it can be done as and when you fancy and may be worth checking to see which faction owns the district you want to do the quest in before you do it.

That said its not hard to avoid the other factions, and most of the npcs to get the quests done.
    Answer ✓
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay for a body guard....
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    I realize this is probably a dumb question. As I looked at Imperial City...I'm like "oh cool..some content and missions and jazz". However, dealing with the people who are geared up for it and dying pretty instantly as a DPS is just not fun. Any way to enjoy this without the dumb? And...if the answer is "just don't play it" honestly I'm fine with that as well. Thanks.

Sadly about the only way to do it sanely is to group up with an army of guildmates who also want to do it. You can try doing it out of time or in the odder campaigns but there are people who have nothing better in life to do than camp by the pve storyline points killing everyone.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Kitsune2200
    I wish they would add something like the impieral sewers with no pvp ofc i dont see it happenening i just want another sewer like pvpless area for us
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would add something like the impieral sewers with no pvp ofc i dont see it happenening i just want another sewer like pvpless area for us
    Most people are upstairs these days. The sewers are quite deserted.

If you want to be left alone, play a Breton magblade, Atronach mundus, all magicka cost reduction jewelry, 6 or 7 light armor, Hissmir Fisheye Rye or Ghastly Eye Bowl and slot Barrier on the Shadowy Disguise bar for the extra magicka recovery. Voila: Perma-cloak sustain. Yes, you'll still be visible while interacting with NPCs, but you will be invisible while running around and you can give players a wide berth.

You can also experiment with a set called Darloc Brae. Wearing that set and being a vampire fixes your sustain and movement issues, but plain Shadowy Disguise sustain is IMO superior for avoiding players and NPC aggro. Darloc Brae is a messy set to get used to.

I wear the Juggernaut set on my back bar. Forget Phoenix, Juggernaut is what you really want for gank protection. You still need to be on your toes. It helps to have stamina sustain for some dodge rolls from Hissmir Fisheye Rye. It helps to have all prismatic gear for the extra stamina. It also helps to be fully invested into speed, e.g. Wild Hunt + all Swift jewelry + Concealed Weapon on the Shadowy Disguise bar + Race Against Time. If you truly just want to get away after being attacked, this is feasible with that setup and you don't need to bother with Shadow Image.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great build advice..thank you!
  • Diva_Naoko
    Diva_Naoko
    ✭✭
    @fred4 Thanks for the detailed build recommendation, but it should not be about the build. Ppl should be able to complete the pve objectives on all areas on their main character for the achievements and completionism sake. Shouldn't need to build a whole new character from scratch just for the pvp areas.

Best solution would be to totally separate pvp and pve by creating a pve-only instance of both Cyrodiil and IC.
    I'm campaigning for that. Want to join?
  • Diva_Naoko
    Diva_Naoko
    ✭✭

Totally agree and I have a suggestion for that.

1- Create overland gates and unlock existing ones into Cyrodiil from the outside where borders meet (eg Fort Sphinxmoth gate in Reaper's March into Western Elsweyr gate). There's one in Craglorn, and one needed in hte rift for EP. Allow fast travel into all six Cyrodiil ws.

2- Remove the rubble from the three sewer entrances in Cyrodiil, near lake Rumare.

3 - Using the campaigns menu would land you into pvp Cyrodiil or IC (no change)

4 - Using any overland or ws entry method would land you in pve-only Cyrodiil. Using the sewer tunnel entrance from overland Cyrodiil would land you in ove IC.

Let me kn0ow what you think. We need as much preassure as we can to get ZOS to move on this.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It aint that hard to get a decent IC build ready. NB, a fast stamsorc or magsorc with a high magica pool to steak out of the heat are suitable for IC. If you dont have a spare char go for the no cp campain to avoid reseting CPs each time. You can do the district bosses even without cp. All you need to do ist get a propper build.

So the answer is rather to adapt than changing the whole game in your favor.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Diva_Naoko wrote: »
    @fred4 Thanks for the detailed build recommendation, but it should not be about the build. Ppl should be able to complete the pve objectives on all areas on their main character for the achievements and completionism sake. Shouldn't need to build a whole new character from scratch just for the pvp areas.

Best solution would be to totally separate pvp and pve by creating a pve-only instance of both Cyrodiil and IC.
    Absolutely not. I love the mixed PvP and PvE in IC. I love that the game is so big you get different players doing different things. I love that you can do different things at different times. I love that you may never do everything, but you can trade (to a degree) with players who do the stuff you don't. I don't aim to complete the game in much the same way I accept my limitations in real life and will never be a world class athlete nor an astronaut for example. I don't get completionism.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What about getting achievements in Battlegrounds, then going to a vet Trial? You say a person should not have to change their gear to get the achievements from these places? I admit I beat Vateshran in my PvP gear, but that was out of laziness more than anything else - and to see if I even could. If I couldn't complete it, I'd try out some gear more applicable to the content.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »
    Check which campaign has the lower pop of the other two factions and the highest of your faction and go in that one.
    Go out of main gaming time.
    Just accept you will die occasionally and enjoy the time.
    The PvE in IC is a nice little story, it can be done as and when you fancy and may be worth checking to see which faction owns the district you want to do the quest in before you do it.
    That said its not hard to avoid the other factions, and most of the npcs to get the quests done.

I agree with this.

And in the sewers, you can do some easy Tel Var farming near your own faction base and solo some of the wandering and stationary bosses.

And if you feel really adventurous, go check out the other alliances sewer sections as well.
    post-2-1445282250.gif

Edited by SirAndy on April 8, 2021 7:27PM
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the responses all, but last week I deleted all characters and uninstalled. New CP system killed this game for me.
  • Diva_Naoko
    Diva_Naoko
    ✭✭
    DigiAngel wrote: »
    Appreciate the responses all, but last week I deleted all characters and uninstalled. New CP system killed this game for me.

wow, that's a pity. Hope you come back. It still is an awesome game, despite the many flaws. Cooperation between players to try improve things is better than leaving.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New CP system I a vast improvement over the old one so it's a shame you didn't give it a chance
  • Diva_Naoko
    Diva_Naoko
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

Absolutely not. I love the mixed PvP and PvE in IC. I love that the game is so big you get different players doing different things. I love that you can do different things at different times. I love that you may never do everything, but you can trade (to a degree) with players who do the stuff you don't. I don't aim to complete the game in much the same way I accept my limitations in real life and will never be a world class athlete nor an astronaut for example. I don't get completionism.

You "love it"; others don't! Many dislike it; many even hate it. [snip] My suggestion takes nothing away from players who enjoy pvp - except the "sitting ducks", maybe. It simply adds options for those who want to enjoy the pvp areas without the pvp risks. My proposal doesn't stop a pve player from entering pvp instances if they enjoy the adrenaline, or if they want to try pvp. Can you provide a concrete palpable argument against my proposal that is not just "i love it the way things are atm"? Does my proposal diminish your game experience in any way? How?

Also, completionism exists because it is built into the game as achievements and map completion objectives. I don't see how you can compare that to real world limitations such as becoming an athlete or an astronaut. Real life does not have built in achievements, though you can imagine them. Games, however, have them and for a specific reason; they keep ppl in the game and devs know that. That's why all games have achievements or trophies; they make studios money.

[Edited to remove Rude Comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on April 11, 2021 1:42PM
  • Diva_Naoko
    Diva_Naoko
    ✭✭

What about getting achievements in Battlegrounds, then going to a vet Trial? You say a person should not have to change their gear to get the achievements from these places? I admit I beat Vateshran in my PvP gear, but that was out of laziness more than anything else - and to see if I even could. If I couldn't complete it, I'd try out some gear more applicable to the content.

Hi,

Not at all. Of course there are pvp and pve specific and optimized builds, and players need to change gear according to the content they want to play. However, I don't think a pve player needs a specific pvp survival build to wear while doing pve content in the pvp areas, which is what fred4 is suggesting. It will also not be an optimal build for the pve content said player wants to complete.

Here i am only considering the pve objectives and achievements obtainable in the pvp areas (Cyro and IC), such as skyshards collection , killing monsters and patrolling horrors, town and FG dailies, general quests, lorebook hunting, fishing etc. I know of many horror stories of the type "killed for fishing while blue" and the like.

The pvp specific achievements in all areas (incl Battlegrounds, but also eg the duellist achievement from Summerset and other overland pvp) are part of a totally different debate. There are no pve achievements related to BG.

• deleted210809-001958
    IC pve content is not that interesting. main story can be done in 1-2 hours + 1hour to collect every stuff from sewers. Aesthetically, I like IC too, but without pvp there is nothing left to do
  • Diva_Naoko
    Diva_Naoko
    ✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    It aint that hard to get a decent IC build ready. NB, a fast stamsorc or magsorc with a high magica pool to steak out of the heat are suitable for IC. If you dont have a spare char go for the no cp campain to avoid reseting CPs each time. You can do the district bosses even without cp. All you need to do ist get a propper build.

So the answer is rather to adapt than changing the whole game in your favor.

In game achievements (unlike console trophies) are character-specific. An achievement on an alt does not count for the main. Completionists will need to obtain all the achievements on the same - main - character. They can build an alt to study the area, but that's all. They'll always need to go in using their main character to get the achievements.

Plus:

No one is proposing to "change the whole game". i'm proposing a copy/paste new pve-only instance of Cyro and IC to exist in parallel with the pvp instances already in the game. No radical changes to the game; no changes to the pvp side of the game.
    Is it so difficul to memorize? Campaign menu -> pvp; fast travel -> pve. Simple :smile:

I already have all the Cyrodiil pve achievements and most of IC. This isn't about me. I'm advocating for many pve completionists and general content consumers who are tired of getting targeted and harassed by pvp players while engaged in pve content. And you only need to dig a bit into the forums to find many not so happy comments of pve players in pvp areas.

Better, can you tell me how my proposed changes affect your game experience? I would sincerely like to know.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »
    New CP system I a vast improvement over the old one so it's a shame you didn't give it a chance

I honestly feel like I did. I was lvl 650 when the CP hit, was lvl 711 when I dumped. It was going to take at least until 1200 (from what I've read) to achieve max damage AND the survivability that I wanted. There was almost no content left for me to play, without more DLC of course. And I'm not willing to grind just to get better at playing content I'd already played. Anyway was fun...didn't really get to do all the PVP area that I wanted to sadly though.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »

You "love it"; others don't! Many dislike it; many even hate it. [snip] My suggestion takes nothing away from players who enjoy pvp - except the "sitting ducks", maybe. It simply adds options for those who want to enjoy the pvp areas without the pvp risks. My proposal doesn't stop a pve player from entering pvp instances if they enjoy the adrenaline, or if they want to try pvp. Can you provide a concrete palpable argument against my proposal that is not just "i love it the way things are atm"? Does my proposal diminish your game experience in any way? How?

Also, completionism exists because it is built into the game as achievements and map completion objectives. I don't see how you can compare that to real world limitations such as becoming an athlete or an astronaut. Real life does not have built in achievements, though you can imagine them. Games, however, have them and for a specific reason; they keep ppl in the game and devs know that. That's why all games have achievements or trophies; they make studios money.

[Edited to remove Rude Comments]
    You asked whether I, or perhaps everyone, would join your campaign. It was merely a no from me actively getting involved.

Would it hurt me? No. If it was properly done, I'd be totally fine with PvE campaigns, but the devil's in the details. This has been proposed before. Right off the bat, you shouldn't be allowed to earn Tel Var, nor Key Fragments, nor AP, nor progress your alliance rank. I'd actually have no problem with you farming gear from the Cyro dailies or farming Malacath so you get a leg up when you do want to PvP later, but it's a slippery slope. Come to think of it, the only thing you can't buy with gold is the Malacath fragment.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Better, can you tell me how my proposed changes affect your game experience? I would sincerely like to know.

Timbercrow - all it is is a 50 day quest grind. PvP players can make lots of gold selling this, and other Tel-Var related things like Hakeijos. I'm sure Timbercrow was designed with addressing two things: A new source for PvP players to earn gold and a new reason for any player to go to IC or re-try it.

I like how this game pushes people out of their comfort zone for things without making it mandatory. If I really wanted the silver skin, I could work really hard at my rotation and join a guild etc. With time and perseverence, I could get it. Or, I could pay people a lot of gold to carry me if I'm disinterested in completing the content required. I know PvPers who have done both. I've helped/escorted PvE players getting things done in the sewers as well. It's like the answer is always going to be grouping up with other players if you can't do it alone.

So, for the same reason we don't have dungeons with no adds, just bosses for gear drops to please PvP players - we also don't have IC sans PvP for achievement hunters. There are alternative solutions. At the end of the day, I don't think its about PvPers wanting easy kills, its about the devs wanting people to get into fights with other players. There's also the whole idea of extra server space being devoted to your idea contrasted with current performance and all that.

edit for clarification
    Edited by NordSwordnBoard on April 12, 2021 3:38PM
    Fear is the Mindkiller