Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Kill 40 Players quest

Kwoung
Kwoung
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Anyone else having issues with it getting stuck? Seems to be happening a lot lately to my wife and I, where it zips down to 23/40 or something, then never moves again. Two hours later we end up deleting it... as it won't progress.

Also, I seem to have never figured out what it takes for getting credit on that quest is. I used to think it only progressed on killing blows and we avoided it, because it progressed so slowly. But not so long ago it seemed to swap to simply being involved in a kill would progress it. Now I am not sure again and maybe why it sometimes seems stuck. Like getting kills was fine, but then swaps to requiring killing blows, which effectively stops noticeable progress on it. I am pretty confused on this.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been weird since it came out. I can only get it to progess when I'm solo - then it seems to act like the Kill 20 Players quest. If I'm in any size of group, I might as well ditch the quest because it won't work properly.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's been weird since it came out. I can only get it to progess when I'm solo - then it seems to act like the Kill 20 Players quest. If I'm in any size of group, I might as well ditch the quest because it won't work properly.

Hmmm... Yeah never had any issues with the Kill 20 and thought 40 would be the same. Problem might be that I am grouped about 98% of the time apparently. But yeah, buggy as heck... got like 15-20 kills in open field really quickly, then moved to a huge battle inside Rayles and was getting kills right and left the other day... and didn't get credit for a single one. Ending up deleting the quest yet again.

It kinda bugs me, as I like getting the Gladiator Rucksacks, but sometimes kill 40 is the only thing the board will offer even if I haven't done any of them that day. Also, seems like that board no longer offers a follow up quest immediately if you complete one, seems to be a 5 min timer or something on it now. Anyhow, very buggy lately all of the sudden.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltrops, lots and lots of caltrops. Whenever I have this quest I throw out caltrops like candy during a parade. Whether grouped or not, it fills up fairly quickly.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Caltrops, lots and lots of caltrops. Whenever I have this quest I throw out caltrops like candy during a parade. Whether grouped or not, it fills up fairly quickly.

Well I am tagging plenty of players with AE's, but it literally just stops counting kills. I have had it stop at 23, 17, 7, even as low as 2 kills left to complete and it won't budge no matter what.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 40 players is supposed to be killing blows, whereas 20 players is assists and killing blows.

I main a healer and I don't think ive ever gotten higher than 10 on a 40 players quest before dropping it in favor of 3 keeps or 9 Rss.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think 40 players is supposed to be killing blows, whereas 20 players is assists and killing blows.

I main a healer and I don't think ive ever gotten higher than 10 on a 40 players quest before dropping it in favor of 3 keeps or 9 Rss.

I wonder about that too, but I get massive credit for kills sometimes on Kill 40 just spamming radiating regen, obviously not killing anyone, also for simply tagging players and definitely not getting killing blows. I also notice that I have not gotten any update when I obviously got the killing blow on someone no one else was engaging. Very confusing, but my main issue is it just stops updating altogether killing blows or not and won't budge, so can't be completed.

Only started the thread to see if anyone else has noticed this behavior before I submit it as a bug.
  • MKintr
    MKintr
    ✭✭✭
    It seems you need to deal the largest part of the damage that it counts as your kill. While 20 players even counts if somebody else from your group does the kill.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MKintr wrote: »
    It seems you need to deal the largest part of the damage that it counts as your kill. While 20 players even counts if somebody else from your group does the kill.

The way it works is that when you're playing alone, all you need to do is inflict some damage on your opponent to be counted towards the kill 40 players quest, but when you're in a group, you need to inflict a killing blow to have it count in your favour.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • MKintr
    MKintr
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience it is sometimes the killing blow but sometimes not. Most often it is the largest part of damage dealt.
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭
    It's buggy when you're grouped. I solo killed a player the other day while I grouped, no one else was hitting him, idr registered it as a kill (with a killing blow), and the Kill 40 quest didn't count.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Spiked Bone Shield works well too. Everybody who clicks your synergy now has given multiple players a damage shield from you, and if they kill someone who hit them while shielded, you get credit also.

Also, regarding killing blows.... it's not necessary. I can get 40 kill credit when Kill Counter says I've gotten far less KBs.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    MKintr wrote: »

The way it works is that when you're playing alone, all you need to do is inflict some damage on your opponent to be counted towards the kill 40 players quest, but when you're in a group, you need to inflict a killing blow to have it count in your favour.

It doesn't have to be killing blow. I duo 99% of the time in cyro, and have that quest often. Essentially, it seems that you compete with everyone you're grouped with for the credit of a kill. You don't have to land the killing blow. Not sure if it's the last or first shot at a player (out of anyone in your group), or overall damage that counts, but suspect it's first shot.

If you want to complete the q, the best thing to do is to go to a big fight without anyone in your group around, unless they only heal and buff, then pew pew as many different enemy players as possible. Or oil them at a gate, oil is the best way to complete it fast.
    Edited by Bucky_13 on April 10, 2021 5:33PM