The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daedric Wars: What would prompt me to go to Shimmerene ?

Ashnarug
Ashnarug
✭✭✭
Meet Sharuk gra-Dra'bul - her story began on 21 Hearthfire 2e581 (196 days before meeting the Prophet on 4 Rain's Hand 2e582)

I was born on 11 Last Seed 2e255. Since I was a child, I have known I was different. Invoking the name of Malacath or Mauloch would enable me to travel between any shrines I previously visited. Mostly the ones close to Dra'bul: the Ilayas Ruins and Vulkwasten in Malabar Tor. When I was still very young my older sister Laggat and I were kidnapped from the shores of the Broken Coast and pressed into service onto a slaver ship. We were rescued from Firemoth Island in Morrowind by Breton captain Margaux in our early teens. Someday, I will return home to Dra'bul.

In Daggerfall I met Stuga who invited me to go to Orsinium and help the king. I kinda did as I mostly helped his nemesis. I also ended up as Chief of Clan Shatul.

At the Orsinium "Haggler's Bluff" I found a note from the Northern Annex of the University of Gwylim's Historical Society based in the city of Solitude in the Western Skyrim's Hold of Haafingar. They are seeking capable scholars, ancientists, historical naturalists, and explorers for an "exciting new opportunity". This note spiked my curiosity and I left home to go to Solitude. Since I never been to Skyrim, I am forced to use regular means of transportation. At the Morkhul Stronghold there is a skiff doing the run to Solitude every day. The short distance along the Sea of Ghosts takes only 2 days.

I ended up locating all the Wayshrines and Skyshards of the four Western Skyrim Holds: Haafingar, Hjaalmarch, Karthald & The Reach - as well as the ones in the massive subterranean world underneath. I also helped the Bards College do "A Salskap to Remember".

When I returned to Daggerfall I read a missive offering to all to come and bask in the presence of the Living Gods of the Tribunal and experience all the wonders that dwell in the shadow of Red Mountain. Okay ! Let's go meet with Captain Jenassa. I may have lived on Firemoth Island for years, but I never been on the big island of Vvardenfell. So I do not know where their wayshrines are. So I went and ended up saving Lord Vivec. While doing that I learned that another living God (Sotha Sil) was in trouble. For some reason - wonder why B) - there is a boat in Vivec City that commutes with Mournhold (seat of the third Living God Almalexia) and that is where the physical entrance to the Clockwork City is located.

I helped Lord Sotha Sil ... and now

From what I heard from Nocturnal there is a threat to Summerset Isle. I'll make my way there - didn't help the two living Gods and stop there. So I went back to Daggerfall where Navigator Ciryelda brought me to the Alinor Docks. The trip took 5 days.

I am now on 14 Frostfall 2e581 ... still 173 days until I meet the Prophet.

Alinor Docks ... I am stuck story wise ... I want to do the Court of Bedlam storyline but leave the miscellaneous quests undone. What good reason would prompt me to go across the island to Shimmerene and meet Razum-dar ? ... so I can complete the "Daedric Wars" before meeting the prophet ? - she's never been to the Summerset Isle so she doesn't know the Shimmerene wayshrine. She is now level 32 and has been on hiatus since March 21.
(no Jester's Festival for her ;) )

"Days ? Weeks? I cannot tell" — Today is Fredas, 4 Rain's Hand 2e582 — I spent … months and … days in Coldharbour, it felt like only a few hours. I wonder where my mount is !!
During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The Captain Margaux story expands ... (yay!)

Shimmerene seems to be where new arrivals to Summerset are being processed by the officials. It, or the road there, would also be a good place to find work and get information about what's going on. The Alinor docks are actually pretty far north of Alinor itself, so Shimmerene isn't as far away as it seems, as it's just across the narrowest part of the island.

According to UESP, there's even a letter at the Alinor docks about two orcs planning to meet in Shimmerene. Relevant? Maybe, maybe not.

There could be many more reasons to make up to suit your character—not sure what you're looking for, though
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heh, I had to do something similar with my character after she took the boat from Auridon. I just had her wandering around looking at the scenery and eventually she found herself in the Shimmerene area and ran into Raz.

The point about processing new arrivals is a good one. Your character could arrive at the Alinor Docks and be instructed to go to Shimmerene to register or something.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    I used "tsaescishoeshiner" idea and started a new character. This time on the European server which I mostly ignored since 4 Rain's Hand 2e582 (4 April 2014). So I have not much in my craft bag and not many HOMESTEAD places to live.

Here we go:

Ma'atharr-do — Male Khajiit — Stamina Nightblade — First Aldmeri Dominion
    "-do" is an honorific for one who has earned distinction on the field of battle or in personal duels. Beware of those strutting lions who apply the title to themselves, not waiting for others to award it. ("Khajiiti Honorifics" by Lady Radurra-dra of Torval)

Since I was a kitten in Rimmen I have known I was different. Invoking the name of any of our Divines (Alkosh, Riddle'Thar, Jode and Jone, Mara, S'rendarr, Khenarthi, Baan Dar, Magrus, Rajhin, Azurah, Sheggorath, Hircine, Sangiin, Namiira or Lorkhaj) at the Rimmen wayshrine would enable me to travel to the Riverhold wayshrine. No one else could do that.

While in my junior years I ran around Ne Quin-al and Pa'alatiin and located twelve wayshrines, I feel that one is still eluding me! I can sense it.

The infamous arcane explosion commonly called the "Soulburst" happened in 2e579 — at the same time as a major meteor shower. Coincidence? A few years later, in 2e581 the First Aldmeri Dominion, the "brainchild" of Queen Ayrenn was created uniting the Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit.

When I reached adulthood Tesusah, Rimmen's Stablemaster, offered me — free of charge — a striped Senche-Tiger mount that she has, unfortunately, no time to bring back to full health — I named him "Ratter-do".

A couple of weeks ago I found a note at the Baandari Bazaar in Rimmen. This note is from the University of Gwylim's Historical Society Northern Annex in the city of Solitude. They are seeking capable scholars, ancientists, historical naturalists, and explorers for an "exciting new opportunity". This note spiked my curiosity and I left home to go to Solitude, on the estuary of the Karth River near the Sea of Ghosts. Since I have never been to Skyrim, I am forced to use regular means of transportation.

Today is Midday Middas 24 Sun's Height 2e581

My caravan just crossed the border of the province of Haafingar. We are nearing our destination … but my caravan was attacked. I awoke in a cold stone cell. I have no clue where I am, but I need to find a way out of here. I can hear a call for help coming from inside a heavy sarcophagus. It took me and Fennorian, a friendly Altmer vampire and arcane investigator, about four hours to escape our captors.

I am now a member of the Antiquarian Circle — I have found the wayshrines of four of the seven Holds of Skyrim: Haafingar, Hjaalmarch, Karthald & The Reach — it is time to move on …

My Altmer friend Hirtyaren Grayaere is a scholar, he once invited me to visit his new home in Alinor —maybe he can enlighten me about the Icereach Coven. Since I have never been to the Summerset Isle, I do not know their wayshrines (if they have any!) so I have to go there the old-fashioned way. Down to the Solitude docks where Navigator Ilfete brought me to Mournhold and from there Navigator Ciryelda transported me to the Alinor Docks on Summerset Isle. She tells me that I must report to Shimmerene first — it is the place where they are registering visitors and new immigrants. The whole trip took 10 days through the Sea of Ghosts and the Eltheric Ocean.

My friend is not home, he has gone to Ne Quin-al to investigate the resurgence of dragons!!! :/

It is now Morndas, 5 Last Seed 2e581 ... I won't meet the Prophet for another 243 days.
    Edited by Ashnarug on April 21, 2021 6:03PM
    During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
    In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.