The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Templar Tank/Healer for Pledges

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

since Magplar Tank/DPS seems to be an impossibility to achieve, I would like to give Thank/Healer a try.
SPECIFICALLY FOR VET PLEDGES

I am attracted to Kagrenac's Hope for the quick res, but other than that I am not sure. Bear in mind that I have ALWAYS been DPS on every class, so this is all brand new ground for me. Any advice?

Mighty thanks :smile:
Edited by Amorpho on March 26, 2021 3:14PM
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could work.... for any normal content, wouldnt be to happy to have you in a vet DLC Dungeon with that setup.

but i do have to say i appreciate the efforts, unfortunatly, ZOS butchered templars and their sunshield pretty bad, so an allready niche tankbuild is even more useless. Combine with the fact that there is no max health based heal and voila, not realy suitable for harder vet content.

here is to hoping that one day they will make templar tanks viable and desired in endgamecontent
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, I don't think tank/dps make great hybrids. I think you have to give up too much on the DPS end to get the survivability you need to be tanky, and if your tanky, you lack something that you are going to need to be good at DPS - raw damage, crit, high offensive stats, high SD/WD, or sustain. All of those things mean that there really isn't much synergy in doing a tanky DPS build.

I play a templar tank myself and I can tell you that the best hybrid build I've found is a tank/healer hybrid. Tanks and healers BOTH want survivability, and because it is easy to overheal, healers don't need nearly as much investment into SD/WD as DPS do to be effective, allowing you to tweak the edges of your build to gain more sustain, or more HP/Armor, or anything else that is going to give you extra survivability. This allows you to fit seemlessly into either roll (tank or healer), and with enough practice, you can do 4 man vet content in 3dps/1tank format easily. In fact, my Templar Offtank has main tanked a trial one night, and I've main healed the same exact trial the very same night with him, just for S/G's.

My Templar Offtank runs SPC jewelry to give major courage that you would usually get from a dedicated healer. I go back and forth between Kragenacs or Ebon for my 5 piece heavy armor set, but I'm looking to ditch ebon for Brands of the Imperium, or perhaps give Dragon Defilement a try. I could run Yolo or Galenwe for my other set too, but I haven't gotten a second set of either just yet (I put those on my DK tank).

In a trial setting, I could switch his sets out to give whatever group buffs the team wants - Worm Cult, Hiricine, etc.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can build a templar as a tank. Nefas QS (YouTube) has a nice self-healing templar dungeon tank he updates from time to time. I used a similar build for a while and it worked well.

As to doing damage on a templar while also holding aggro and having to deal with potential one shots, how will you deal with the fact that you can't block while using Sweeps? I don't think it's a good class for what you have in mind, but I suppose it depends on the dungeon. Some are so easy a tank is hardly needed. Fang Lair, normal mode comes to mind. There is only one fight (Ulfnor) where a tank is useful to block some one shots and where a DD that slots 1H+S and a taunt makes sense. Vet DLC dungeons, you probably want to be a proper 35K+ health tank with high resistances more often than not.

I couldn't say which way to go. I like Restoring Focus for the stam regen, while blocking. If you're high health you might consider Blazing Shield and Bone Shield. You might consider a set like Bahraha's Curse. I don't think Scathing is good, because it doesn't proc all that easily and, thus, requires you to keep up Sweeps with the caveat that you can't block while doing that.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, I don't think tank/dps make great hybrids. I think you have to give up too much on the DPS end to get the survivability you need to be tanky, and if your tanky, you lack something that you are going to need to be good at DPS - raw damage, crit, high offensive stats, high SD/WD, or sustain. All of those things mean that there really isn't much synergy in doing a tanky DPS build.

I play a templar tank myself and I can tell you that the best hybrid build I've found is a tank/healer hybrid. Tanks and healers BOTH want survivability, and because it is easy to overheal, healers don't need nearly as much investment into SD/WD as DPS do to be effective, allowing you to tweak the edges of your build to gain more sustain, or more HP/Armor, or anything else that is going to give you extra survivability. This allows you to fit seemlessly into either roll (tank or healer), and with enough practice, you can do 4 man vet content in 3dps/1tank format easily. In fact, my Templar Offtank has main tanked a trial one night, and I've main healed the same exact trial the very same night with him, just for S/G's.

My Templar Offtank runs SPC jewelry to give major courage that you would usually get from a dedicated healer. I go back and forth between Kragenacs or Ebon for my 5 piece heavy armor set, but I'm looking to ditch ebon for Brands of the Imperium, or perhaps give Dragon Defilement a try. I could run Yolo or Galenwe for my other set too, but I haven't gotten a second set of either just yet (I put those on my DK tank).

In a trial setting, I could switch his sets out to give whatever group buffs the team wants - Worm Cult, Hiricine, etc.

OK then, I changed the question to how I set up a hybrid Tank/Healer. You mention SPC, what set does it stand for?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »

OK then, I changed the question to how I set up a hybrid Tank/Healer. You mention SPC, what set does it stand for?

SPC = Spell Power Cure
    It’s from the White-Gold Tower dungeon and a light armor set.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

SPC = Spell Power Cure

Yes sorry, noob question! haha
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

How would you run the rest of your build though?
    KH and SPC on both front and backbar? S&B + Healing staff? What about Monster Sets?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SPC = Spell Power Cure

No need to be sorry! There are so many acronyms in this game! :sweat_smile:

As long as you’re running WGT, you might collect Brands of Imperium too which is a good general tank set. :)
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

SPC = Spell Power Cure

As long as you’re running WGT, you might collect Brands of Imperium too which is a good general tank set. :)

Yes, I did think about Brands of Imperium.
    In any case, how would you run the rest of your build though?
    KH/Imperium and SPC on both front and backbar? S&B + Healing staff? What about Monster Sets?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭
    I think Warden has a better class toolset for tank/healer.

As far as hybrids go, I think Templar is better equipped to healer/DPS.

IMO.
  • jekyto
    jekyto
    ✭✭✭
    U ever tried medusa + bahrahas curse for mag /tank hybrid? For tank healer id say yolna + hiti/winter respite + symphony/sentinel
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snow_White wrote: »

IMO.

What do you have in mind? Still Kagrenac's Hope + SPC?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SPC = Spell Power Cure

Yes, I did think about Brands of Imperium.
    In any case, how would you run the rest of your build though?
    KH/Imperium and SPC on both front and backbar? S&B + Healing staff? What about Monster Sets?

I have long played healers but am only slowly getting into tanking, but I do enjoy templar for the role. My tank is a Khajiit templar, S&B / 2H, with Warrior-Poet for awesome health and Tormentor because I like to pounce on the enemies and yank the rest to me. I know it’s not BiS, but it’s fun!

I would definitely recommend against KH as it’s generally not the tank who should be rezzing. Plus, I would think you’d ant to pair a health/armor tank set with SPC, unless you’re very good at blocking or avoiding all the potential one-shot hits. For myself, I like having the buffer to survive a mistake! :sweat_smile:

For monster sets, maybe Sentinel of Rkugamz would be a good choice.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on March 27, 2021 4:27AM
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭
    Snow_White wrote: »

IMO.

What do you have in mind? Still Kagrenac's Hope + SPC?

On a tank? Yolnahkriin/Olorime or Yolnahkriin/Winter’s Respite.

I wouldn’t use Kagrenac’s Hope. If you’re a Templar you already have a fast Rez, and if you’re not a Templar there’s still better sets you could be wearing.

I’m assuming that since this is for a vPledge build you want to go 1T/3DPS, in which case the DPS should be able to heal themselves, and usually means they’re wearing the Ring of Pale Order. In this case the problem with SPC on a tank is that it requires you to be able to heal the DPS... and if the DPS are in pale order you can’t heal them. Olorime on the other hand just requires them to step into the circle to get buffed, and you can proc it with elemental blockade.

If this is for pugging dungeons through the dungeon finder I usually use Winter’s Respite as it compensates for questionable healers.

If the healer is checked out and already using SPC or Olorime, I use Yolnahkriin/Powerful Assault.

If you don’t have Yolnahkriin yet, Ebon is an easy to get set.
    Edited by Snow_White on March 26, 2021 9:55PM
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    back in days there was a tank/healer Warden with ulti regen build spamming his healing tree ultimate. Not sure will it work now.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How would you run the rest of your build though?
    KH and SPC on both front and backbar? S&B + Healing staff? What about Monster Sets?

So I keep SPC as my rings and amulet, with Resto Staff back bar. I use Master Sword/Shield from NDSA on Front Bar. And I basically have all my tanking skills up front (time stop, breath of life, pierce armor, inner rage, and rune focus), and my back bar is illustrious healing, radiating regen, extended ritual, healing orb, and Magelight from the mages guild (extra crit % and 5% extra magika).

For 5 piece armor sets, I switch though a few sets. I was primarily using ebon armory, but since that has fallen out of favor, I'm switching to Brands of Imperium. Basically grants a bigger "health" bonus, but its only got an uptime of 50%. But I still think it would be helpful. Other ones I use: Yulhnokriin, Galenwe, Kragenacs Hope (for off-tanking trials where we may need lots of res'es). I may also consider trying Torugs, but that would have to be used in conjunction with an ice staff front-bar. But it could be viable.

As for monster sets, I run several, depending on the situation: Symphony of Blades, Bogdan's (trials only), Earthgore (mainstay), Bloodspawn, Lord Warden, Malubeth's, and TrollKing (PVP). I need to add Tremorscale to the list of sets I run as well, but just haven't gotten around to it. I have stonekeeper too, but honestly, haven't really tried it on my offtank, as I try to pick something we can all benefit from.

Also, my group is experimenting with the tanks/healers running War Machine or Master Architect for the major slayer bonus. Obviously, you take the weapons/jewelry for either setup for tanks, but you take War Machine for a stam oriented tank, and Master Architect for a Mag-oriented tank. This particular offtank is Mag-oriented (I usually have ~31k mag and 17-18k stam), so I'd recommend War Master Architect if you want to try that.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Tank/Healer Hybrid is idiosyncratic.

Templar Tank? Is good, even if considered the weakest option in game.
    Templar Healer? Awesome! Cant get better than that.

But, you have an incremental trade off between them. Sure you can try to make it work, but you will be subpar in both. And trade off being excellent in either.

If you keep boss taunt and help with debuff or buff your group, your group does not need more than its self heals to stay alive. This is especially true in VetHM.

Kagrenac is a bad option for 4man. It equals an admission of incompetence, if you go in as a tank expecting to resurrect group members. Stay alive, Keep Aggro and sponge up the AoE damage as best you can. Those are priorities as a tank. No discussion. And for 2key pledges all the more. It is a necessity.

Also if you wish to heal your group, you kind of need to focus on them for a little while. Look where they are, see if they get the heal, etc. That is the timeframe where you loose focus of the boss, do not see his heavy attacks and eventually loose aggro and debuffs...

What more can I say? Idiosyncratic...🤷‍♂️
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played that a while ago, it was quite fun. Full magicka spec, with just a splash of Stamina for breaking free and blocking (if you don't use an Ice Staff). For frontbar I would recommend either Ice Staff or SnB with your basic shields and taunts, backbar Resto with heals, Shards, Rune, and Ritual. For ultis go Barrier/Warhorn/Rite of Passage/Sweep.

Regarding armor, I'd go 5H-1-1. You could try something like Ebon/Olorime or go more selfish (I love the Crafty Alfiq/Plague Doctor combo). For monster set I would recommend Nightflame, it's never let me down.

Lovely Paladin build!
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Tank/Healer Hybrid is idiosyncratic.

Templar Tank? Is good, even if considered the weakest option in game.
    Templar Healer? Awesome! Cant get better than that.

But, you have an incremental trade off between them. Sure you can try to make it work, but you will be subpar in both. And trade off being excellent in either.

If you keep boss taunt and help with debuff or buff your group, your group does not need more than its self heals to stay alive. This is especially true in VetHM.

Kagrenac is a bad option for 4man. It equals an admission of incompetence, if you go in as a tank expecting to resurrect group members. Stay alive, Keep Aggro and sponge up the AoE damage as best you can. Those are priorities as a tank. No discussion. And for 2key pledges all the more. It is a necessity.

Also if you wish to heal your group, you kind of need to focus on them for a little while. Look where they are, see if they get the heal, etc. That is the timeframe where you loose focus of the boss, do not see his heavy attacks and eventually loose aggro and debuffs...

What more can I say? Idiosyncratic...🤷‍♂️

I disagree that this is an Idiosyncratic build, simply because I've played dedicated tanks and dedicated healers, and this "tweener" build is still definitely good enough to get 3/1 configured groups through 95-98% of the hardest content the game has to offer. I don't feel like I trade off anything between my Offtank and my dedicated healer in terms of raw healing power. The only thing I trade off is utility of having different skills slotted for group support. For instance, due to lack of space on my bar, I can't slot skills like Power of the Light for a little extra DPS and armor penetration. I can't fit combat prayer for the same reason. I can't slot Silver Leash due to stamina limitations, but I deal with it in a way that still helps the DPS and my overall survivability. Example? Instead of a leash, I use timestop as my crowd control to hold trash mobs in place while I range taunt them. All the while, the DPS is dropping their AOE's on me, or on the planted trash mobs. Not a perfect solution, but it works.

Outside of that, I'm still able to maintain aggro on priority targets, and if possible, keep its back turned to the DPS so they can maximize their damage with minimal risk - which is what a tank is supposed to do. Carrying an extra DPS that can also be buffed up more than makes up for any of my builds shortcomings.

It also has a place in trials. As a dedicated offtank, there are some trials where I don't have a role except for in a specific boss fight or 2. In those instances, I can swap a set and contribute heals, and when I need to actually tank a target, I can swap back and perform that role well.

Finally, Kragenacs is a very good tool for an offtank to have in its toolkit for the same reason as above. Sometimes Offtanks simply don't have roles in specific fights, and in those fights, the OT can handle the resses. Ideally, nobody would go down during the Trial, but crap happens, especially in a pug group or even a mixed group, especially when it is a trial people don't have a lot of experience running, so having the ability to pick people up fast can be the difference between wiping and staying in the fight long enough to finish. Now, the goal would definitely be to get to a place where you don't need to res people as often, but until you get there, it is still a very useful tool to keep in your back pocket. Also, until the no proc-set thing came around, it was a fun set to run in PVP, where I basically run the same character as a dedicated healer.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zodiarkslayer

Could tell me your working definition of idiosyncratic?

I looked up the definition it still doesn’t feel like I get your point. The closest I got was that the root of the word pertains two things being put together. But I think you must be meaning something more because that is plainly what he proposed: putting together tanking and DPS.

And then the response to you was that it was not idiosyncratic.

So help me follow the thread plz! 😂
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BejaProphet Putting it (very,very,very) simple: You cannot have one with the other. Think of Water and Oil, they don't mix.

To me, the concepts of Healer and Tank are so, that if I want to be good at one, I cannot be good at the other.

Nonetheless, just as @BXR_Lonestar mentioned in the previous post, you can make it work somehow, if you really want it. It has its shortcomings, but you can find a way.
    It is a little like a marriage. 😄

Come to think of it, somebody once told me, that denial of ideosyncrasies is the only real definition of love.🤯
    Now my mind is blown. 😅

I still won't acknowledge Kagrenac in 4 man Dungeons. 😎
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. The conversation makes sense going with that meaning.

I agree with your assessment of a DD/tank hybrid.

But I can completely understand how somebody would not think so. The more difficult the content the more it demands specialized roles. And that’s when the contradictory build demands reveal themselves. I can easily see why in much content a hybrid build would seem promising.

I’ve always said that there is nothing a tank can do that will boost group damage more than doing his job well. Stacking mobs, holding the fight still, keeping the DD’s free from going defensive. All these aren’t easily measured yet they boost group damage more than your personal dps ever could. And that’s even if a tank does no buffs/debuffs.

But then again, not all builds need to be best practice. Sometimes they’re just fun. 🤷‍♂️