Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lore justification for a Breton supporting the Aldmeri Dominion?

HailSanta28
I want to roll a Breton fighting for the AD. I know the Thalmor would look down on them, but in the broader sense, would a Breton have a good reason to join the AD?
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Madness, self-destruction tendencies, very low self-esteem, serious brain damage, blackmail, possession by crazy, evil elf ghost. I don't more reasons :)
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Royal Family of England are of German descent. Didn't stop them from fighting the Nazis. Italian-Americans in the U.S. Army fought Mussolini's forces. I don't think you even need a lore reason. This is fairly common behavior.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Take love. That can always be a very good reason for the most daring actions.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got a thing for mer.
    PC NA
  • SirPaws
    SirPaws
    ✭✭✭
    Bretons have this "magical elite" in society who are proud of their merish ancestry. They are more likely to venerate the Elven deities of their pantheon. Perhaps your Breton is fascinated by his/her ancestral roots?

Bretons also have a "questing culture" and have loads of knightly orders. They enjoy the ideas of chivalry and gallantry, believing such deeds part of their cultural history. Maybe your Breton is a knight in the service of Queen Ayrenn? After making it to Vulkhel Guard, it could be an organic evolution.

Maybe your Breton simply lived in Dominion territory and will fight for his or her home.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to roll a Breton fighting for the AD. I know the Thalmor would look down on them, but in the broader sense, would a Breton have a good reason to join the AD?

They grew up in what is now AD territory? Like we see NPCs who live and some times have grown up in, areas that a "wrong" for their people's traditional alliance. Say a family of Breton merchants emigrated to Auridon because they could make good profit trading with the Summerset Isles and back to High Rock. That happened 200 years ago, the family have been living there since and your character is one of the children of that family.

Now it's not impossible that they'd feel a greater belonging to Auridon and the Aldmeri Dominion than to what to them is a distant and largely irrelevant past in High Rock and king Emeric, a king who hasn't really given a *** about them and who is actively trying to kill people whom your character considers friends.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    The Royal Family of England are of German descent. Didn't stop them from fighting the Nazis. Italian-Americans in the U.S. Army fought Mussolini's forces. I don't think you even need a lore reason. This is fairly common behavior.

Yeah people tend to be loyal to where they live and/or grew up, not to where their ancestors belonged. Or maybe they just think Emeric and the DC are wrong? Possibly they believe that a human emperor simply can't be trusted as the last many weren't all that great and that human emperors haven't done all that good a job at ruling.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Alandril,

Consider your gooses chased. I settle the spine of comforting.

None of the Bretons you sent me to check in on are the migrant spy your informant warned you about. I hope you still have that explosive rune hidden in their pocket, or else they're walking free. I've plenty reason to suspect none of the following bretons to be your spy.

Fedrick: I immediately suspected him of being the spy, because he came right out and told me that he was. But a different spy—for the Dominion. Some sort of double agent arrangement. He gushed about his upbringing in Skywatch, and how only the Dominion could defend White-Gold Tower. I believe him—only a true patriot can be that boring. Anyway, he didn't have any of the moles that your dossier on the spy mentioned. None.

Rochelle: She's far too young to have the training your spy supposedly has, and far too whiney to quietly sneak into Auridon. Last year, at eleven, she arrived with her parents, weavers of those tailless breton wicker dolls all your altmeri whelps love.

Darya: I'd never met a noble knight of High Rock before. They really
    do all speak like that. All the frog-gone time. Here, I hoped it was just a jester's act. Regardless, she's been semi-retired for the past year after breaking her ankle chasing a squirrel. She came to Reaper's March to find a healer who turned out to be a skooma saleswoman, and decided not to hobble back to Northpoint. Probably out of embarrassment.

Gubby: Obviously, I asked him about his name, and he immediately stopped speaking to me. Once I downed the undead he summoned to fight me off, I had to put the wily mage in a headlock to get an answer out of him. I tell you... He'd come to Valenwood because your Dominion promised him the freedom to research forbidden magics: Alteration Staves. I verified his papers, but I wouldn't bet on his success, personally.

Gunhildhe: I'm the most certain about this one, because I found a certain skeleton in her closet: her own. Shame. She'd written in her journal about her journey to Valenwood after the Covenant failed to protect her village from the Pact, and the timeline doesn't match your informant's. She also wrote down a delicious winter grub recipe. I attached it for your most honored revulsion.

If you still have any doubts, I checked their feet, just in case. None of them had a "weird toe" like you told me to look out for. They all had 9 healthy toes, like a normal breton.

Moistest regards,

Wets-Toes-Slowly
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the Thalmor would look down on them.
    theres no evidance that they would, the Thalmor of the first dominion are not as bad as the Thalmor of the 4th era.

• Crazyprophet
    Crazyprophet
    ✭✭✭
    Your Breton might simply have a real interest in the elven side of their ancestry, and thus seeks to emulate that elven culture.

Hell it could even be argued that things are more stable on the Summerset Isles. The Breton Kingdoms have a long history of fighting amongst themselves. Hell, as of ESO, Ranser's War is still a fairly recent event all things considered. They might simply seek a better life.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bretons can be RP'ed as half-elves, say your father was an Altmer.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thalmor does not look down on Bretons.

If you complete the quest in College in Auridon, you would hear out the Thalmors real opinions of other races. They are proud to work with Khajit & Bosmer and think that they are valuable in Aldmeri Dominion with their variety of skills.

There are also Argonian refugees and valuable Orc soldiers (refugees/commanders) in AD.

I think you are mixing Thalmor with an extremist group called Veiled Heritance.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cirantille wrote: »
    If you complete the quest in College in Auridon, you would hear out the Thalmors real opinions of other races. They are proud to work with Khajit & Bosmer and think that they are valuable in Aldmeri Dominion with their variety of skills.

I don't know, I had the feeling they're only saying it because it's "politically correct".

• Julia_Nix
    Julia_Nix
    ✭✭✭
    Double agent spying for Daggerfall or vice versa reporting to the Dominion.
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could be from a noble family that has close relations with the Direnni, the dynasty who ruled over High Rock for hundreds of years. Maybe they've even inter-married and said Breton could feel a personal connection with the Altmer.

Or maybe you are from a noble family that was ousted by Emeric? You hate the Dunmer/Nords, so your only option left is the Aldmeri Dominion.

The island of Alinor has been closed to the foreigners until now, but Auridon has always been accessible, maybe he was born there?

So many lore-friendly paths to choose. :wink:
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a Breton in the Aldmeri Dominion who I RP as being half elf. Bretons can be given pointy ears if you adjust the slider enough.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have that specific combination but here's the reasons some of my characters are in a different alliance:

They categorically do not trust the leadership of their "home" alliance, think their people are being corerced into joining and will be betrayed as soon as it suits their new allies to do so, so they left to find a government they think is more trustworthy.

They retired and want nothing to do with the war so they went to live somewhere remote and relatively peaceful and don't much care if the people don't look like them and have some odd habits because years as a soldier showed them people are people wherever you go.

Their father moved the family to a different part of the world when they were a young child and while they still feel an affinity for their people and homeland their social and political views have been more influenced by their new home and the culture they were raised in. They think their people are making a grave mistake by opposing their chosen Alliance but are sure they'll come around given time.

They had to leave home rather abruptly following a "misunderstanding" with some over zealous law enforcement, took the first caravan going to a place outside the borders and then tried to make the best of things in their new home.

They're a mercenary who doesn't much care where they go or who they fight for (or against) as long as the money is good and the dull, quiet periods end before the money runs out.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"