The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Thanks to Tech Support, but in all honesty...

g03y
g03y
I don't think I've ever had a worse experience trying to play a video game at launch.

I bought Elder Scrolls Online hastily on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon, shortly after discovering it has finally been released. To my dismay, the 60 gb download was horrendously long. But that's okay, I've always thought of myself as a fairly patient person. I let it run over night, no big deal. I was just so excited to load it up in the afternoon on Thursday.

The time comes to start the game and, once again, I'm hit with a problem. The startup file was missing. Once again, I said to myself, "these things happen." "Nothing to get worried over, just follow the guidelines on the forums and you will be fine." Every new attempt and every grayed out play button with no game loading only strengthened my resolve. After a several hour search I finally was able to create the file (the time period was my fault I guess, the postings said to save the file as UserSettings.txt and for SOME reason, I included the .txt in the name and it wouldn't work [that being said, I'm not sure why the file would have been missing in the first place]).

Finally, the game was running! I could be happy once again! I got through to the main screen, fixed some settings, and watched the awesome intro video! Things were looking up.

Then the character creation screen appeared and BOOM, black screen with the UI and music fully functional. I was thinking to myself, it's probably just a glitch. I'll restart my computer and hopefully things will work out fine.

Things weren't fine.

I honestly, didn't think I would have a problem with my GPU. I just installed a NVidia GTX 660 in the summer and I figured it would be more than enough to run the game.

So after giving my due diligence to find solutions from other users on the forums, I decided to email customer service and get some tech help. I got the usual responses. "Add a DXdiag. Run as Administrator. Are you overclocking?"

It's been almost a week since I bought the game and subscribed starting my game clock and I haven't even been able to get past the opening cinematic.

This customer service rep has been working with me since Thursday now. We haven't figured out how to get the game running on my computer, but I'm optimistic. I'd just like to thank this individual who has been working on my problem for several days.

Someday, I'll get into the game and I'll be happy with my purchase; unfortunately, this string of bad luck has seriously marred my experience thus far.

Anyways, I've got the black screen character bug and I'm out of ideas. I attached my dxdiag, any support would be great.
Edited by g03y on April 15, 2014 12:52AM
  • Nazaan
    Nazaan
    Don't know, what have you tried to do? Repaired the game? Done housekeeping on your C:/? Reinstalled drivers?
  • g03y
    g03y
    Repaired the game, reinstalled drivers, tried a new beta driver, run as admin. Just about everything from the generic advice in the forums. I haven't housekept my C:/, how would I go about that?
  • troi4n
    troi4n
    Hi, I'm with the SAME problem as yours. How is your status now? Are you still facing the same issue on the first Character creation?

I had no problems to install the game, but after I login I can't do anything because of black screen...
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried shouting at your monitor ? that always helps ....
    Its the PC version of hitting the TV really hard with your hand
  • troi4n
    troi4n
    I almost throw my notebook through the wall several times. That counts?

:(