The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS please consider this possible reason for lag

• Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayserix wrote: »
    Yesterday during the night pop was around 2/3/locked bars. I was at a keep with 2 other DC players, there were 4 AD smallscalers. Still there was heavy lag, desync, Dizzy taking several seconds...

At another place even I alone against some npc guards - heavy lag.

I am more and more thinking it is not the amount of calculations that need to be done, but something on the back-end how the game is handled by the server, prioritizing memory or cpu power or whatever. Of course we see regular lag with lots of players at the same place, that is to be expected. This might only add to the "base line" server lag we often experience even with only a few players around.

Someone had the theory that npc guards are involved. I mean... How often do I have seen those guards just dancing around, not using their skills etc., while my Uppercut needed seconds to cast, then suddenly several skills hitting at once and so on, when I was soloing a ressource! On CP campaigns you might not notice that as much, as npc guards die a lot faster. On no cp depending on your build it could take a while to kill those guards.

I know some players made fun about it, but I honestly would wish to see a test with the npc guards removed. Although a test like that wouldn't need to happen, maybe the Quality assessment team (or however it is called) should check that npc guard code and scripting again for errors, loops and so on.

I don't remember to ever have seen the same lag in pve environments even in heavy lag, it always was different in some way, so I honestly think there is something up with the guards' code and/or scripting.

The first days after the patch were awesome, and then everything crumbled. Last night on GH EU we had the good old laggy experience ... RIP

performance always seems better after downtime, I really wish ZOS would look into why that is. Reducing lag might be as simple as a weekly downtime.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last thursday night USEST the game ran smooth as silk in Cyrodil, skills fired, no desyncs, it was such fun. Then they rolled out the hotfix/patch and the weekend came and the play degenerated to its usual laggy mess again. Both occasions I logged in (prime and later US EST on NA Cyrodil Grayhost) there were long queues of 60 plus on DC side, so it wasn't pop related. However, i think they remove/reallocate server resources from Cyrodil when they need them for PvE on weekends - they certainly use Cyrodil server resources for their PTS server.

It's that or whatever they did that last maintenance broke the game again.

The real cause of lag, in my opinion, is insufficient capacity to do the number of complex calculations required for combat since they shifted those calcs to server side from client side.

I'm pretty sure cosmetics are a one off calculation...although sweaty trials groups that run with other players invisible or in the skele skin may have evidence to the contrary :smiley:

I still don't understand the PTS theory... How can the PTS in the US use resources for the pc EU server? Because it has often been noted pc EU performance is worse and yet as far as I know it would next to impossible for it to share resources with the PTS. EU server is located in Germany.

I was referring to the NA-PC issues, as I stated. I will reiterate, anecdotally, for those of us using the US servers, performance goes down the toilet across the board even further every time PTS opens and has done for years and improves marginally across the board when PTS closes.

Re the Eu issues, although I have read lots of people blame terrible data centres were chosen to provide EU servers because cheap. This maybe tin foil hat stuff, i have no clue about that as I only play NA.
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on March 18, 2021 12:58AM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Plodeoca
    Plodeoca
    ✭✭✭
    When I've read this post, I've signed in through my smartphone just to support this post. This is a very Insightful Idea. I hope it goes live. It's a good idea for a "server side" situation and it helps to clarify allies and enemies on a multi-faction fights. Well done.
  • vgastel
    vgastel
    ✭✭✭
    Lets have a test then with no armor and no weapons, and we all throw pies at each other :) !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHY5SM0YFv0