The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting skills on alts

HalfDarkV2
Hello guys. Recently I made an alt and I am not sure if I should spend points on crafting. I have my main for all crafting though. My plan is to spend some points in the hireling and the extract passives just to gather some materials from the deconstruct and the refine. Should I get again all the 10 points for each category just to make sure I'll gather more materials from the nodes since I am not sure about their scaling? I think it would be waste of points if I do this. Thanks in advance.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nodes scale 50% to the character level and 50% to their crafting level, i.e. 1/10 Clothing = Jute and 10/10 Clothing = Ancestor Silk.

Are you planning on doing crafting writs on these alts, such as during the Anniversary Evemt when writs will reward jubilee boxes?

If you are, you'll get considerably better rewards from 10/10 top level writs (except for Provisioning, if you want the rarer, lower level recipes.) In addition, the alchemy recipes tend to be cheaper for the Max level writs than at 1/10 and the mats for the other crafts are more frequently for sale.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do daily writs on my alts, but even if I didn't I'd say yes it's worth it if you pick resources with them. As in 10/10 for ancestors silk etc. And the hireling as well

I never bother with the extraction passives tho, since I have the mobile banker, I just toss the gear that's gonna be declined there instead, then decon on my main.
  • Daishichi
    Daishichi
    ✭✭✭
    (except for Provisioning, if you want the rarer, lower level recipes.)

Wasn't aware that lower level recipes were more rare, not sure if that translates to more sellable extras, but I find it worthwhile to have my crafting alts maxed on recipe level and purple on quality:
    • Having level synced at max means I only have to keep stacks of six items in my bank for each to pull
    • Purple level quality means they're rewarded Bervez Juice, Frost Mirriam and Ambrosia recipe fragments, as well as (rarely) purple recipes used in Master Writs.

Gamertag: SpideyGuy73
    Xbox One NA
    Grand Master Crafter
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daishichi wrote: »
    (except for Provisioning, if you want the rarer, lower level recipes.)

Wasn't aware that lower level recipes were more rare, not sure if that translates to more sellable extras, but I find it worthwhile to have my crafting alts maxed on recipe level and purple on quality:
    • Having level synced at max means I only have to keep stacks of six items in my bank for each to pull
    • Purple level quality means they're rewarded Bervez Juice, Frost Mirriam and Ambrosia recipe fragments, as well as (rarely) purple recipes used in Master Writs.

They aren't rare in the sense that the drop rate is lower. Rather, it's that fewer players do the lower level writs for the CP 140 purple recipes, etc. so the supply is lower/price higher.
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    From my own experience, I have one main crafter with 90% of researching done and an alt that I'm working on getting all the crafting skills maxed on. I'll have plenty of skill points to max out the alt's passives to use high tier mats. I won't be in a rush to do researching though. I just need enough points in to do writs. On my main, I've got his crafting passives maxed + all his combat skills. Still got leftover points and quests I haven't completed for even more skill points on him lol
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before we had mobile banking NPC, home storage containers, or full bank space; I split my research on multiple characters. One alt did all the Blacksmith weapons, fire & lightning staves, and light armor while another alt did Blacksmith heavy armor, frost staff & shields, and medium armor. When I had the space and research open on my main character, I would have the alts recraft the item with the trait to research on my main. It dealt with me not having to hoard a crapton of items with traits waiting to research later.

As for crafting, only my main crafter has everything maxed out at 10/10 while the rest of the characters are all standing at 1/10 everything. This way they only need the most basic mats and generally come out with more mats than they started as most crafting dailies give more material in return than you use up. Hireling mail on everyone for more returns, even though its base mats for them you still get random upgrade material too. Use the Surveys on your main will always return the highest material you have unlocked.
  • Harry_Toes
    Harry_Toes
    ✭✭
    I have 1 main with the Master Crafter badge and 3 alts that collect mats.

The only skill points I invest for crafting in the alts are for the hirelings and the higher tier mats.

I don't worry about them with the CPs for crafting, other than the obvious for faster node mining points.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally level one of the skills that drops armour repair kits per toon that does actual content. Doesn't take many skill points and it saves a ton in repair bills.
    Too many toons not enough time