Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player question.

davidmanvell
Sorry for newbie question but just started playing. I know I can assign spells and abilities to 1-5. I already have more than 5. Is there a way to assign them to other keys or do I have to choose in advance what I think I may have to work with?
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to choose. It's called "making a build" and results in people having a variety of fighting styles, especially in PvP. Once you get to level 15 you can equip two weapons and swap between them for a total of 10 skills and 2 ultimates.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're on PC, get https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2138-DressingRoomforStonethorn.html to quickly switch between different builds. This includes gear and skills.
    Edited by fred4 on March 19, 2021 1:53AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for newbie question but just started playing. I know I can assign spells and abilities to 1-5. I already have more than 5. Is there a way to assign them to other keys or do I have to choose in advance what I think I may have to work with?

You'll probably find there are set that work well for most things and that you settle with - changing a bit as you get better skills. For some classes there are fairly standard choices people end up with given a particular role, for others like sorc it's a bit like a kid in a candy store and you have to make hard choices.

In group content you may well pick different skills and for more serious end game stuff skills according to the group members and the content. Likewise PvP you may want to slot different skills.

One key thing you will see people talk about is the notion of a "spammable" - a skill that you can use most of the time between light attacks (eg some light attack/weapon skill pairs or for example templar is often light attack/jabs/light attack/jabs) rather than over time or for specific events. Because of the way the game works having such a skill on the bar matters if you want to get best results (look up "weaving" on the internet when you want to know more)

Too many toons not enough time