The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

High CPU usage during UI reload

Galadius
Galadius
✭✭✭
Not sure if this is the right spot for this type of question.

When I reload my UI, logout, or quit the game, my CPU fan goes superspeed. I have replaced the fan as well as cleaned out the dust from the heatsink over the CPU.

Anyone else have this go on? Any ideas?
You wouldn't worry so much about what other people thought about you, if you knew how little they did. - ??
  • kingsirdrmr
    kingsirdrmr
    ✭✭✭
    Reloading the UI is basically reloading a part of the game. Not sure if the UI is one of those things rendered by the CPU or not (depends on how their engine works) but it's not an issue. It just takes time.

Your fan, on the other hand, was probably fine. Your CPU cooler's fan speed is likely based on CPU load instead of CPU temperature, causing the fan to ramp up whenever a CPU is performing an action but not at a high temperature. It can be changed in the bios or software, depending on your CPU cooler.
    For the Queen! | PC/NA, Cyrodiil, IC, Quests, CP 2000+[*] Tyaminal-rabi | Khajiiti Sorceress [*] Vita-rabi | Khajiiti Warden werewolf[*] Dr Good-and-Sexy | Argonian Warden[*] the Southern Mare | Redguard Necromancer[*] Sally Two-Horns | Orsimer Nightblade
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me as well. During Reloaduing Ui or sometimes other load screens (like logging in to a character) even writing in my browser lags hard. Can't remember I had this exeperience before my break last summer.
  • kingsirdrmr
    kingsirdrmr
    ✭✭✭
    Happens to me as well. During Reloaduing Ui or sometimes other load screens (like logging in to a character) even writing in my browser lags hard. Can't remember I had this exeperience before my break last summer.

Sounds like a RAM or VRAM issue to me. If you have 8 gb or less RAM and keep lots of programs open at once, you could be stretching your RAM thin which slows everything down. If you have a video card, the amount your programs use could've outpaced what VRAM was on the card (usually a problem for ultra budget or older GPUs). If you don't have a video card, that's probably what's happening.
    For the Queen! | PC/NA, Cyrodiil, IC, Quests, CP 2000+[*] Tyaminal-rabi | Khajiiti Sorceress [*] Vita-rabi | Khajiiti Warden werewolf[*] Dr Good-and-Sexy | Argonian Warden[*] the Southern Mare | Redguard Necromancer[*] Sally Two-Horns | Orsimer Nightblade
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a RAM or VRAM issue to me. If you have 8 gb or less RAM and keep lots of programs open at once, you could be stretching your RAM thin which slows everything down

Which would leave the CPU mostly idle and not trigger the fan.

ReloadUI causes a massive 100% CPU load spike. Has for as long as I can remember. Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • kingsirdrmr
    kingsirdrmr
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like a RAM or VRAM issue to me. If you have 8 gb or less RAM and keep lots of programs open at once, you could be stretching your RAM thin which slows everything down

Which would leave the CPU mostly idle and not trigger the fan.

ReloadUI causes a massive 100% CPU load spike. Has for as long as I can remember. Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour.

He also mentioned his browser. The UI loading spike in game is normal.