Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

need ideas for a build that survives in red aoe

Madhojo
Madhojo
✭✭✭
Good morning ESO!

So, I have friend who absolutely loves this game, is 100% determined to be a dps that wears medium armor and is a bow using fiend, but cant stay out of the red AOE boss attacks to save his own life (he spends so much time in them he isnt just making camp, he's building his own castle). He has much gumption as well and is always looking to do difficult dungeons and I enjoy teaming with him.

Is there a medium armor build that I could farm with him (or farm for him) that would make him become, Lord of the Red?
Edited by Madhojo on March 12, 2021 9:54PM
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, don't know about a build, sorry, but may I suggest him to go bright pink? I had a hard time staying out of reds because, well, I couldn't see them! Now instead that bright pink is quite easy to avoid :)
  • Madhojo
    Madhojo
    ✭✭✭
    wheresbes wrote: »
    Hi, don't know about a build, sorry, but may I suggest him to go bright pink? I had a hard time staying out of reds because, well, I couldn't see them! Now instead that bright pink is quite easy to avoid :)

Huh, ok I will try this and see if it helps, thanks for the suggestion
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, I go bright pink for pain, green for good
    Soupy twist
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Using the DW skill Deadly Cloak (Blade Cloak morph) reduces AOE damage by 20% which is quite a lot. Besides that he could use Critical Surge (Sorcerer Storm Calling tree) to heal himself while dealing critical damage. This skill works best if you combine it with a high weapon crit, something like Tzogvins, Berserking Warrior or Briarheart. If he uses buff food that gives max health, max stamina and stamina regen he should become pretty durable.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Medium armor skill Evasion and its morphs reduce AOE damage 20% by giving major evasion. The Elude morph lasts longer.

There are CP now specific to AOE damage.

There is a medium armor set Leki's Focus which grants Major Evasion permanently. https://eso-sets.com/set/lekis-focus

But I also advocate changing the color and brightness/opacity of combat broadcasts. It's a huge help just being able to reliably 'see' the damage indicators the game is trying to give you.
    Edited by Fennwitty on March 12, 2021 4:07PM
    PC NA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are running solo content, do what @wheresbes suggested and disregard the rest of my reply. However, if you plan on running group content, you have one option if you like "standing in stupid:"

1) Become a tank

Not trying to be mean or "elitist," but if you are a stam DPS that is swapping out damage skills, CP points, or more effective armor sets for damage mitigation, you will be left with an ineffective DPS.

But the best way to avoid AOEs is running the content. You learn these mechanics, when they pop up, when to move, when to block, and the best places to stand. Everyone has been through this in every dungeon, trial, and arena in the game.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glyph of Hardening
    Infused weapon
    Torug's Pact set

And of course Ring of the Pale Order, unless you're doing a lot of healing for him.
  • Madhojo
    Madhojo
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions and im currently working to impliment them. Here's hoping more survivability comes out of this!
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spamming Brawler makes you damn tanky. This is my solo arena build:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=306920

Forget the fact that it's a Nord DK, forget the high-end gear and forget Pale Order in a group. The Brawler shield and good sustain to keep spamming that skill makes this one tanky build. If you're only getting one special item, get the Master's 2H, any type and it doesn't need to be perfected. You'll thrive on killing adds. More damage and a bigger shield.
    PC EU: Magblade (PvP main), DK (PvE Tank), Sorc (PvP and PvE), Magden (PvE Healer), Magplar (PvP and PvE DD), Arcanist (PvE DD)
    PC NA: Magblade (PvP and PvE every role)
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madhojo wrote: »
    Is there a medium armor build that I could farm with him (or farm for him) that would make him become, Lord of the Red?

Only to a point, and there are game mechanics where you need to get out of the red full stop, including some where the boss or miniboss heals (eg Arx) where if he keeps standing in the red then after a while and explanations in chat he'll get kicked if he doesn't sort it out.

Once you get to some of the vet content you are not going to survive standing in the damage except as a tank. Even some of the easy vet content has this and the harder vet content has places where even the tank will get one shotted.

He needs to learn to get out of it. If he can't see it then I agree - set the colours to bright pink or bright cyan or similar. Practice helps as does a bit of PVP - because standing still in PVP is usually very fatal very fast so you learn quickly to get out of the stuff. Battlegrounds might cure him quickly.
    Too many toons not enough time