The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can't login through steam

woe
woe
✭✭✭✭
I was having no issues playing at all last night or this morning. I tried to launch the game and all i'm getting is this. n5kptvb5z4g7.jpg
uwu
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Greetings @deflorate

Please try the steps found in this article to see if they can help resolve this issue!
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Youyesu
    Youyesu
    Soul Shriven
    these steps havent worked for me.
  • ChalzZy
    ChalzZy
    Soul Shriven
    The exact same is happening to me. Following instructions at this link still doesn't work.

Restarting also doesn't work. It's a issue on ZeniMax's side and such a shame too. I was kind of keen to play some ESO on my day off.
    NA SERVER
    IGN: @ChalzZy
    Main: MagBlade
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem, with two different computers. I can't log in, and I was crashed off with the character stuck for minutes
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings @deflorate

Please try the steps found in this article to see if they can help resolve this issue!

They did not.

I set steam boostrapper, eso launcher and eso64.exe to run as admin and repaired my client. After that it started to work again.
    uwu
  • Darauk
    Darauk
    ✭✭
    Greetings @deflorate

I tried these steps as well and it did not work. I was able to log in approximately 9 hours ago (noon CT). I just tried to log in and encountered this issue at 930pm CT.
    - Darauk
  • miguelcura
    miguelcura
    ✭✭✭
    Same error here, and from several guildmates. Please don't make us format the PC, there is something wrong with the validation with Steam. Thanks.

• Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was playing, when my character got stuck. I crashed off and I wasn't able to re-log in. Steam problems? Or ZOS problems?
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • miguelcura
    miguelcura
    ✭✭✭
    we have already tried the steps that you recommend.

lkjbd4kf49zv.jpg
  • dwarenhammer
    dwarenhammer
    Soul Shriven
    Having exactly same error when logging with steam , PC EU. Both on Windows PC and Linux laptop.
  • Darauk
    Darauk
    ✭✭
    I was playing, when my character got stuck. I crashed off and I wasn't able to re-log in. Steam problems? Or ZOS problems?

Steam Community bot said that Steam online support is looking into it. My guess is a handshake between Steam and ZOS is failing. As far as I can tell, servers are online and players who bought direct from ZOS, Xbox, and PS are playing just fine.

Candidly, I really wish ZOS would enable an account transfer option. While this issue only happens a couple of times a year, it's annoying enough that I would re-buy the whole game direct from ZOS just to avoid Steam issues.
    - Darauk
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings @deflorate

This is down for everyone. The steam forums for the game are exploding with posts about this.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • FolksySpade
    Time to swap back to the native launcher. :wink: These issues are inevitable when you're dealing with two separate companies handling the functions to the security of your accounts
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time to swap back to the native launcher. :wink: These issues are inevitable when you're dealing with two separate companies handling the functions to the security of your accounts

I don't think that's possible? I think once you connect through steam you cant go back. Maybe I'm wrong. But 215 hours of playtime since I moved my ESO account to go through steam and this is the first time I've run into this so I'm not to mad. Just hope it dose not become a common thing like it was a while back.
  • miguelcura
    miguelcura
    ✭✭✭
    Darauk wrote: »

Steam Community bot said that Steam online support is looking into it. My guess is a handshake between Steam and ZOS is failing. As far as I can tell, servers are online and players who bought direct from ZOS, Xbox, and PS are playing just fine.

Candidly, I really wish ZOS would enable an account transfer option. While this issue only happens a couple of times a year, it's annoying enough that I would re-buy the whole game direct from ZOS just to avoid Steam issues.

Let's be patient ... it's not something that happens every day ...Steam is a great platform ...
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    ab0fy95ifi7e.png

Just logged in. Its too quiet. Still getting steam issues but, I opened up bethesda.net_launcher.exe in steamapps folder. I bought my account via steam in 2016.

6cbr6918qr6d.png
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • TricksterToons
    I am still experiencing this issue after trying the fix suggested above. Have been trying to log in for about two hours now as of 8:30 PM PST. Any advice would be great!
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deep_01 wrote: »
    Just logged in. Its too quiet. Still getting steam issues but, I opened up bethesda.net_launcher.exe in steamapps folder. I bought my account via steam in 2016.

6cbr6918qr6d.png

You're lucky, sometimes when this happens if you try to fix it, the entire launcher folder just vanishes
    uwu
  • PobberLord
    PobberLord
    Soul Shriven

Thanks, that did it. I'm just making this the default executable. Absolutely no reason to be tied to steam if this is what we have to deal with.
  • Ahk1lleez
    Ahk1lleez
    ✭✭✭
    I was able to get in by launching directly from the root directory. It shows as ESO64. I had to retrieve an access code from my email because I hadn't logged in that way.

Steam -> SteamApps -> Common -> Zenimax Online -> The Elder Scrolls online -> Game -> Client
  • miguelcura
    miguelcura
    ✭✭✭
    PobberLord wrote: »

Thanks, that did it. I'm just making this the default executable. Absolutely no reason to be tied to steam if this is what we have to deal with.

But from the bethesda launcher you can't log in with your steam account, how weird what you did.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahk1lleez wrote: »
    I was able to get in by launching directly from the root directory. It shows as ESO64. I had to retrieve an access code from my email because I hadn't logged in that way.

Steam -> SteamApps -> Common -> Zenimax Online -> The Elder Scrolls online -> Game -> Client

that worked for me as well. But I did originally buy ESO directly from ZOS before it was on steam, then later bought it on steam when it was on sale. Maybe that is why it worked? Did you do the same?
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +

Having login issues with Steam copy as of 04:46UTC on PC-EU. Tried all the work-arounds mentioned in the support page and no change.

Can't login via eso64 or Bethesda.net_Launcher as account is Steam-linked

Edit: Working as of 05:43UTC.
    Edited by xgoku1 on March 11, 2021 5:44AM
  • TricksterToons

This did not work for me. :-(
  • Monroe585
    Monroe585
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. I tried every "fix" I could find on the internet. Nothing works.

Tried this. It wouldn't take my password.

Other games work on steam. It's just ESO that won't.
  • mekops_ESO
    mekops_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue. None of the fixes mentioned here worked for me. Purchased game through Steam.
  • Axela72
    Axela72
    No issue to login yesterday. Today encounter same issue that couldn't connect to Steam. Why?
  • Alekzie
    Alekzie
    Soul Shriven
    Just wanted to let know that I'm having the same issue. Purchased through steam, followed all the suggestions, tried again 5 min ago and nothing has worked.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Axela72 wrote: »
    No issue to login yesterday. Today encounter same issue that couldn't connect to Steam. Why?

It's not just ESO on steam. If you google down detector and look at steam there are multiple games that aren't working through steam (mainly MMO's go figure). Something to do with steam's API/servers that talk to other publishers authentication systems seems to be down.

Off the top of my head I saw people mentioning games like Rust, Elite dangerous, paladins etc.
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on March 11, 2021 5:12AM
  • NierielSilverbee
    NierielSilverbee
    Soul Shriven
    Same issue here. And a bunch of guildies have the same problem.
    Nieriel
    Razum Dar'lings
    PC/NA