The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will CP 2.0 Break Addons?

Bradyfjord
Bradyfjord
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi everyone. I appreciate the hard work addon authors do. The addons make an already good game even better. As a non-author type, I have an addon question regarding the upcoming changes. Should we expect to shelf our addons for a little while, or are addon authors able to work on things during PTS? Thank you for your time.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I appreciate the hard work addon authors do. The addons make an already good game even better. As a non-author type, I have an addon question regarding the upcoming changes. Should we expect to shelf our addons for a little while, or are addon authors able to work on things during PTS? Thank you for your time.

usually they just update them during PTS
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the addon. A lot of addons will be entirely unaffected because they don't relate to anything which is being changed by the update. For the ones that are affected some authors will be able to update their addons based on the PTS, some might not have enough time until after the update goes live, some might try to update it and then bugs are discovered on live which weren't present on PTS and those have to be fixed before it works and some might have left the game and will never update it.

The only way to find out in advance what's likely to happen with a specific addon is to ask the author, or see if they've already said something about it online somewhere.

But for what it's worth my approach is always to check for updates via Minion while I'm updating the game itself, start playing with out of date addons enabled and see what happens. If I get any problems I disable the offending addon (or all of them and then re-enable one at a time to find out which is the problem if it's not obvious) and keep it off until it's fixed. I make sure to check at least once a day for updates to addons and if not being able to use a specific addon gets to be a problem I'll go looking for an alternative but it's pretty rare that happens.

(I'm using a few which have been out of date for years now, but they still work. Binder is probably my personal record holder - it hasn't been updated since 2014, except for re-uploads with new version numbers. But it works and doesn't appear to cause any problems so I keep using it.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the answers. I appreciate the responses. You are all great. ☺
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't use any addon that deals with Champion Points (like Champion Points Slot or Superstar) until they're updated for the new CP 2.0.

Also addons that automatically put Rapid Maneuvers to your bar when mounting up (like Fast Ride or Assist Rapid Riding) aren't needed anymore because Major Gallop is now worked into the first passive of the Assault skill line.

Also, Combat Cloud gave me permanent UI errors when fighting npcs at a ressource in Cyrodiil after patch.
    Edited by Tranquilizer on March 9, 2021 10:52AM
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Foundry Tactical Combat has issues also. Thanks for your feedback @Tranquilizer
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of breakage with this update. It's a nice change of pace.