The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mages Guild - Magic Bolt Skill (Flame/Frost/Shock Morph)

Roneth
Roneth
✭✭✭✭
My suggestion to ZOS is to give players more options to specialize into a flame/frost/shock mage by adding an ability to the Mages Guild called "Magic Bolt." This skill would have 3 different morphs such as Flame Bolt, Frost Bolt and Shock Bolt. This should not be terribly difficult to implement into the game and would add more options for players that enjoy the classic mage class.

Thoughts?
Edited by Roneth on February 27, 2021 11:19PM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's the destro staff that has this kind of thing which changes based on the type of staff you use
    and you can use clench as your ranged projectile.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roneth wrote: »
    My suggestion to ZOS is to give players more options to specialize into a flame/frost/shock mage by adding an ability to the Mages Guild called "Magic Bolt." This skill would have 3 different morphs such as Flame Bolt, Frost Bolt and Shock Bolt. This should not be terribly difficult to implement into the game and would add more options for players that enjoy the classic mage class.

Thoughts?

Sounds a bit like elemental weapon from the Psijjic skill line. But the Mages Guild should definitely get some sort of spammable considering one of it's passives is to give Empower for LA/HAs and there is nothing that is worth casting every 3 seconds in the skill line currently.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There really ought to be a universal elemental spammable ability.

We used to have it with Master's Staff + Destruction Staff Clench but then the staff was changed to no longer increase the damage of that ability and the functionality was lost. (Yes, there is Blackrose Staff + Pulsar but that is wildly expensive for a single-target spammable).

In 2021 why is this still not a thing?!
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really ought to be a universal elemental spammable ability.

We used to have it with Master's Staff + Destruction Staff Clench but then the staff was changed to no longer increase the damage of that ability and the functionality was lost. (Yes, there is Blackrose Staff + Pulsar but that is wildly expensive for a single-target spammable).

In 2021 why is this still not a thing?!

True, just waiting for Spellcrafting... :D

It does seem like this idea would fit well into the Destruction Staff line, and Destructive Clench would be the best place to fit it IMO.
    Making this work would just require a few simple changes:
    - Increase the single target damage on Shock Clench by 20%, while reducing the splash damage to 50%
    - Remove the knockback on Flame Clench and increase its single target damage to reasonable spammable level. It would need a secondary effect, but I don’t know that a stun is appropriate on a spammable. Maybe a small DoT (similar to Scalding Rune ticks, but only a few seconds long)
    - Remove the taunt from Frost Clench, and scale up the damage to spammable level. It can keep the Immobilize effect.
    - Add taunt to Elemental Drain/Susceptibility (only while using Frost). Frost Staff tanks should be able to taunt and apply Major Breach to enemies in one GCD, just like Sword and Shield tanks.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts?

Sounds neat!

While similar in some ways to what the destruction staff line offers, it would allow usage of whatever element the player wants regardless of the staff type they have equipped. Perhaps the Fighers Guild skill line could get a similar spammable that would deal disease, poison, or bleed damage? Right now both of these skill lines are one short of the usual and lack a spammable. It's certainly a niche that could be filled with something. What would be most thematic to the guilds, though? This idea or something else?
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    there's the destro staff that has this kind of thing which changes based on the type of staff you use

but there is no one-element spammable in destruction staff. If force pulse/crushing shock adopted the element of the staff being used, it would work, but not as it does now.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

Thoughts?

Sounds a bit like elemental weapon from the Psijjic skill line. But the Mages Guild should definitely get some sort of spammable considering one of it's passives is to give Empower for LA/HAs and there is nothing that is worth casting every 3 seconds in the skill line currently.

Agreed. I would love to have a spammable Frost Bolt that would supplement my Warden to make a frost mage with Winters Embrace skill line.

I can't imagine that adding the "Magic Bolt" skill to the Mages Guild with the 3 morphs would take much development effort by ZOS. This addition would be a huge win for players to create a flame/frost/shock mage and fits within the lore of ESO.

Thoughts?
    Edited by Roneth on February 28, 2021 3:33AM
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    This skill would have 3 different morphs such as Flame Bolt, Frost Bolt and Shock Bolt.
    Thoughts?

I suggested the same under another topic, so I strongly agree!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7120083#Comment_7120083
    Edited by Orion_89 on March 1, 2021 6:52AM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, Mages Guild should be expanded into individual skill-lines for each of the Schools of Magic that are weapon independent. But I'd settle for at least an elemental ranged spammable.

The fact that one can't build out a simple ranged Flame or Frost mage in an ESO like I can in other Elder Scrolls titles is quite the problem.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of issues with the mages guild skill line, but in terms of an element-based spammable I think reworking force shock would work very well.
    It would entail changing the 3-way split elemental damage into a single, higher amount of direct damage that matches the staff you're using. Also could include a nice visual update. I think it's the simplest and most appropriate solution for this.

If we're talking about mages guild, I really think it should include a telekinesis style pull which would serve as the magicka-based pull counterpart to fighters guild silver bolt. I play a non DK tank mainly and I really wish I had an option for a magicka pull. I think every tank spec should have the option. I don't want to derail the topic of thread but I think mages guild isn't the best place for an elemental destruction spammable when we have the first skill of destruction staff already.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Honestly, Mages Guild should be expanded into individual skill-lines for each of the Schools of Magic that are weapon independent. But I'd settle for at least an elemental ranged spammable.

The fact that one can't build out a simple ranged Flame or Frost mage in an ESO like I can in other Elder Scrolls titles is quite the problem.

Agreed. This would also allow you to create a spellsword character with a frost spell spammable from the Mages Guild by equipping a sword and not relying solely on the destruction staff. This ultimately gives players more flexibility in developing a unique playstyle. This could be easily included with very little development effort by ZOS. Thoughts?
    Edited by Roneth on March 1, 2021 5:29AM
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The words.......FORCE PULSE
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    The words.......FORCE PULSE

That requires equipping a destruction staff. What if I would like to play as a spellsword using frost magic and a sword? Currently, we are pigeon-holed into using the destruction staff. I would like to wield a sword and use frost magic. Yes there are options, but they are very limited. With the change in the OP, it would offer great flexibility in creating more diverse characters. This also fits within the lore of ESO.
    Edited by Roneth on March 1, 2021 5:38AM
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mage guild spammable can be good.

Fire ball, lightning, ice pillar :)

Mmm nice.

But what skill will you remove to add it ?

Or just add new one ?
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    AyaDark wrote: »

I would suggest to replace Inner light with saving it's passive (Maximum Magicka is increased by 5% while slotted)
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orion_89 wrote: »

I would suggest to replace Inner light with saving it's passive (Maximum Magicka is increased by 5% while slotted)

Nah, inner light actually does something of utility. Should be Degeneration that gets reworked. Turn it into a DD spammable that applies a status effect and still gives Major Sorcery, would be balanced against the 2H spammable that does high damage, gives off balance, and stuns.
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mage guild spammable can be good.

Fire ball, lightning, ice pillar :)

Mmm nice.

Or just add new one ?

I don't see why ZOS couldn't simply add "Magic Bolt" (with 3 different morphs- Flame Bolt, Frost Bolt & Shock Bolt) to the Mages Guild without tampering with the other existing skills. Thoughts?
    Edited by Roneth on March 3, 2021 2:45AM
  • Avalon
    Avalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with the Destruction staff line is that it doesn't do elemental damage for the most part. The only ability that does, does all 3. That's not what is being asked. I think the OP wants an ability that is regardless of weapons (an ok idea), and regardless of class (a great idea), that does damage of a single element's type. I can see this being an issue, currently, as there are 3 elements.

However, if ZOS added an extra morph to skills, it would give a great deal more diversity for builds, give the Devs more freedom to add stuff, and allow for 3 elements.

After that, they could create something many have been asking for already: a skill line focusing on elements, with the ability to summon atronachs. They could even make that skill line unique, in that it, alone, would allow for 3 morphs per skill (if they didn't want to go the other route). It could be limited by picking a specific element that guides the morphs of all skills in that line. That would allow for easy balance, too.

I would only ask that they drop this insane crap about how ice is a 'tank' element. Anyone that obsessed with forcing ice to be that way, obviously has not spent any time studying how devastatingly powerful, and FAST, ice can be. It can do more damage, faster, than fire in a lot of cases. So, PLEASE, give us a way to use ice as a DPS route, not just tanking. They have done a lot towards that route... just... not enough, imo.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avalon wrote: »

The problem with the Destruction staff line is that it doesn't do elemental damage for the most part. The only ability that does, does all 3. That's not what is being asked. I think the OP wants an ability that is regardless of weapons (an ok idea), and regardless of class (a great idea), that does damage of a single element's type. I can see this being an issue, currently, as there are 3 elements.

However, if ZOS added an extra morph to skills, it would give a great deal more diversity for builds, give the Devs more freedom to add stuff, and allow for 3 elements.

After that, they could create something many have been asking for already: a skill line focusing on elements, with the ability to summon atronachs. They could even make that skill line unique, in that it, alone, would allow for 3 morphs per skill (if they didn't want to go the other route). It could be limited by picking a specific element that guides the morphs of all skills in that line. That would allow for easy balance, too.

I would only ask that they drop this insane crap about how ice is a 'tank' element. Anyone that obsessed with forcing ice to be that way, obviously has not spent any time studying how devastatingly powerful, and FAST, ice can be. It can do more damage, faster, than fire in a lot of cases. So, PLEASE, give us a way to use ice as a DPS route, not just tanking. They have done a lot towards that route... just... not enough, imo.

3 spells out of 5 are element specific in the destro skill line. Clench, Wall, and Ring, convert based on your staff type.

a 3rd morph would break balance even more, and balance is already in the trash bin. And the game is already overwhelming to keep track of, having more things to keep track of will just make it so complicated that everyone will hate it even more

ice is not tied to tank anymore, heavy attacks don't taunt anymore. You can play your ice mage thing, you will just lose some dps compared to fire or shock but still be able to do vet content depending on your skill
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭

3 spells out of 5 are element specific in the destro skill line. Clench, Wall, and Ring, convert based on your staff type.

a 3rd morph would break balance even more, and balance is already in the trash bin. And the game is already overwhelming to keep track of, having more things to keep track of will just make it so complicated that everyone will hate it even more

ice is not tied to tank anymore, heavy attacks don't taunt anymore. You can play your ice mage thing, you will just lose some dps compared to fire or shock but still be able to do vet content depending on your skill

That requires equipping a destruction staff. What if I would like to play as a spellsword using frost magic and a sword? Currently, we are pigeon-holed into using the destruction staff. I would like to wield a sword and use frost magic. Playing as a spellsword is consistent with the lore of Elder Scrolls, yet is not available. Thoughts?
    Edited by Roneth on March 3, 2021 3:04PM
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That requires equipping a destruction staff. What if I would like to play as a spellsword using frost magic and a sword? Currently, we are pigeon-holed into using the destruction staff. I would like to wield a sword and use frost magic. Playing as a spellsword is consistent with the lore of Elder Scrolls, yet is not available. Thoughts?

I've done a character that meets this halfway as best as the game allows for. On your marital weapons you can slap some frost enchantments on them and then also equip sets that do some sort of frost magic effect. It's not quite the same since i means your frost effects aren't active skills, but it gets you halfway. If this character was a warden they'd have some active frost spells they could use on that martial weapon bar too.
  • Roneth
    Roneth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »

I've done a character that meets this halfway as best as the game allows for. On your marital weapons you can slap some frost enchantments on them and then also equip sets that do some sort of frost magic effect. It's not quite the same since i means your frost effects aren't active skills, but it gets you halfway. If this character was a warden they'd have some active frost spells they could use on that martial weapon bar too.

Good point.