The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tank Taunt/Threat needs to be re-worked or tweaked

JB_den
JB_den
✭✭✭
Basically to just maybe pickup a second or third extra mob or an add right next to the boss being taunted. Clarification, I'm not asking for an AoE taunt of any kind, but tank don't contribute any real damage. Each point of the small amount of dps they do get out should also increase threat by some factor. Maybe this can go into the final tier of heavy armor passive. If there is no 'threat point' system in this game there could be a passive taunt on all targets being damaged by the tank as long as the tank is doing some damage.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have single target active taunt jump to 2 other near by targets within, say, 8m of the original target.

Some kind of change in this direction would be good; the taunts should give a little more enemy NPC control in a fight.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad ideas.

What infuriates me about taunting as a tank is bosses who ignore taunt - either completely or briefly to throw damage at a random member of your group. As a tank, my primary purpose is to hold the boss (via taunt) - if I can't do that, it makes me feel completely useless (since I sure can't do any dps) and I always wonder if those in my group think I'm incompetent because I can't hold the boss full time. Most non tanks don't really know which bosses are unreliable about taunting.

When I encounter an 'unreliable' boss, I make a note and never tank that dungeon again. Seriously. That's like being a healer in a dungeon with some mechanic that you can't heal your group. Or being a dps where all the foes in the dungeon are immune to all damage.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think both of the things you two mentioned are designed that way in interest of giving the rest of your group a more interesting experience.

They don’t want a situation where fight afte fight each encounter is reduced to a naked DPS rotation. Rather in trash there will be a few loose mobs running around and on bosses they must stay on there toes and be ready for a mechanic.

Both are meant to make the whole group engaged not give the tank more power.
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an action-rpg and that's why tanking and healing isn't the 'traditional' mmo style.It just doesn't work the same way. Many of the action-specific mechanics would be rendered useless if it were set up traditionally in terms of both taunt and healing.

Also if you have taunts hitting random nearby targets that's just going to mess with your off tank sometimes.

ESO is about mechanics and taunt priorities. That's why the priority targets in any group are generally the larger more obvious enemies, to make your life easier as a tank to grab them. if you get around to grabbing the little dudes, great, but usually those are doing interruptable or avoidable attacks. DPS in this game is meant to avoid damage and interrupt those attacks, unlike a lot of mmo's that just throw damage at the group constantly for the healer to heal and tanks are usually responsible for interrupting.
  • JB_den
    JB_den
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, we need some other way to build threat against a single target. Tanks should generate passive threat just by connecting with the target in combat, if nothing else; help save some stam cost too.
  • Stahlor
    Stahlor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everybody want to make this game even easier as it already is? What's the point of having a tank not tanking anymore and doing a DD rotation instead?
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is already an AoE taunt option available by using the tormentor set in several different configurations. You've also got soft taunts (wall of whatever if the dd's are good children and haven't run ahead will mean you hit first so they go for you initially).

Too many toons not enough time