Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Issues with my pc build, please help me

Oldaraness
Oldaraness
✭✭
Hi all! I've recent change my pc build going from i5 7600k to ryzen 5800x.

My build now is:
Ryzen 5800x
B550 mpg msi Gaming plus
16gb drrr 3600 rgb pny
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Jeu SC2 Gaming
Monitor ASUS Rog 165hz 2k

Ok I know 1080ti bottleneck my 5800x but is it possible to have 25/30 fps in towns and 35/40 fps in open world at ultra?
I saw other builds on YouTube or Stream years ago worse than mine but can do 80/100 fps, so... is there something I can check to improve my game?

Graphic quality isn't issue because if I decrease it my fps still the same. Resolution either because if I put full-hd I have 10-15 fps more than before but nothing similar to worst build of my friends...

Please help me to understand, thanks!
I have some knowledge about pc components and building but not so much... I must wait 2022 for a new graphic card? 😭
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try toggling off & on again individual video settings one at a time; don't make a bunch of changes at once, since you won't know which setting is making the difference. A lot of times one specific feature is just not jiving with your drivers and/or hardware if the rest of your components are up-to-snuff.

For me (on a slightly weaker PC build than yours) I went from struggling to get 60 fps @ 1440p, to suddenly being pretty stable 60 @ 4K. IIRC, the setting that was really tripping me up was Screenspace Reflection Quality and/or Planar Reflection Quality. I just checked, and have them both turned to Off. I really don't notice the difference unless I'm looking for it, quality-wise.

Now I cruise around at 4K 60fps High/Ultra settings (but without Anti-Aliasing; it's expensive performance-wise & I don't need it at my screen size / resolution) in most zones. Hew's Bane and Elsweyr are still problematic, but I think that's more the game itself than my PC.

Anyway, point is: step down ONE setting at a time, and check your performance. It's a fair bet that there's something weighing you down that you can probably live without -- or at least identify, and google to see if there's a solution for that specific thing.

Good luck! :)

• Oldaraness
    Oldaraness
    ✭✭
    Thanks my friend! I'll try to check all option as you tell me! :) I hope I can improve my performance of I have spent a lot of money for nothing :(
  • Oldaraness
    Oldaraness
    ✭✭
    Up for more advice... all settings I have turned off/on, one by one... nothing happens... only without shadow I improva my fps of 3/5 fps... I don't know how can I do better, please let me know if you have other advice, thanks!
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With my old card I tried turning stuff off and it got slower, and more stuff off and it got slower and looked like crap

When I restarted the game it was fast and looked like crap. I turned a few things on at a time restarting the game each time I fiddled and eventually got it to be acceptable. So it seems that sometimes at least you need to restart to see if you fixed the graphics.

Also check your graphics card drivers are up to date and that other stuff runs as expected. Try a CPU benchmark and check the numbers look roughly like those on the internet, try a graphics benchmark likewise. If it's something silly like a thermal problem slowing your system down that will show it up.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the FPS in ESO as far as I can tell if you have vertical sync "on", then it limits your FPS to 60. If you set it "off" then FPS limit is also disabled.

Also, keep in mind that ESO is kinda badly optimized. I would suggest to limit drawing distance to 70 - 80% and maybe even some particle effects to 50 - 70%.

I have I-7 4790 16gig ram and quite old gtx 980 and I can get decent fps with this setup. On 1080p with all settings on ultra (but with two sliders I mentioned lowered) I can get average 45 - 60 fps.
  • Oldaraness
    Oldaraness
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot friends... I tried to check and uncheck several option, restart my pc every time... nothing happens.
    I checked but I have disabled vertical sync. My graphic card driver are update.

I have only a doubt (but I'm not an expert so....): I have a monitor with G-Sync, is it possible I must disable this feature to improve my fps?
    I play @1440p...

I can play well, I play like before I update my build with the same fps but with much more option enable, it's ok... but I would like to understand the reason I can't improve my pc performance with a very good build for ESO...
    Thanks all!
    Edited by Oldaraness on March 2, 2021 10:43AM
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your FPS should be much higher than what you're getting. I'm running a 2700x on a 5700 xt GPU and getting 100 fps in town on 2k.

Couple of quick questions I have,
    Was it a fresh install of windows?
    Is the game on a SSD?
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I imagine that this isn't terribly helpful to you, but just to make sure it's not overlooked...

The game itself has issues in some places. You can't judge the performance well if you're in, say, Hew's Bane on the coast and looking inland towards Abah's Landing. I think NASA's supercomputers would have problems there, because the game just has some kind of technical hiccup in that area; everyone I've talked to about it experiences the same. There's plenty of places like this that just aren't optimized well or whatever.

Point is, where you're doing your testing matters, too! Make sure you're someplace that even can have stable FPS in the first place. If you're doing your testing in an inherently problematic area, then you might be blaming the poor performance on your PC when in reality it's a bug or whatever with ESO itself. Some areas just run poorly no matter what.
    (Sorry I don't have more specific/technical knowledge to offer! If nothing else I'm trying to help by bumping your topic ;) )

I used to test things in Belkarth, personally.
    But that was because I liked the music there, not for any quasi-scientific reasons. ;P

Edited by GreenHere on March 2, 2021 4:02PM
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgive me if already covered. In the game video settings there are three sliders for particles, distance and something else.

I turned all three down to about 40%. Also turn off Distortion and maybe even Bloom.

In the Nvidia Control Panel under Global Settings change the Power Management from Optimal to Prefer Maximum Performance. Under Vertical Sync change it to FAST. Click on Apply.

Once that is done click on the top of the Nvidia Control Panel on Program Settings and make sure eso64.exe is selected and set the GPU settings to exactly what was done above if not already changed.

For the most part the rest of the Nvidia Control Panel settings are good to go.

My old system is an 1800X with dual 1080 Ti EVGA SC cards running at 3440x1440. Everything is set to ultra or high. I usually max out at 100 FPS (Gsync monitor FPS limit) in most areas especially in dungeon runs. In town it can drop based on population to 60 FPS or so but nothing laggy at all.

I think the biggest video selection that affects performance are the three sliders adjusting particles, viewing distance and whatever the other one is (not in game atm). In my opinion you definitely want to keep the GPU at Prefer Max Performance. This does not make the GPU run at full load, it sets the GPU up so it is instantly ready for full load so it doesn't run hot when not loaded.

Another thing about the Ryzens is the way it auto adjusts the CPU Cores/threads. I use Quick CPU and have it set on High Performance. This unparks all the cores so they are ready to rock n roll instantly. No, your CPU will not run hotter since it's based on loading so no worries there. I highly suggest using Quick CPU. You may be quite surprised by the performance improvement.

In game using a Noctua Air Cooling system for my CPU the CPU temperature rarely exceeds 44C during gaming.

https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu

Good luck!
  • Oldaraness
    Oldaraness
    ✭✭
    NoSoup wrote: »
    Your FPS should be much higher than what you're getting. I'm running a 2700x on a 5700 xt GPU and getting 100 fps in town on 2k.

Couple of quick questions I have,
    Was it a fresh install of windows?
    Is the game on a SSD?

Yes, my game is on SSD
    No, it isn't a fresh installation of windows but it should be ok.
  • Oldaraness
    Oldaraness
    ✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I imagine that this isn't terribly helpful to you, but just to make sure it's not overlooked...

The game itself has issues in some places. You can't judge the performance well if you're in, say, Hew's Bane on the coast and looking inland towards Abah's Landing. I think NASA's supercomputers would have problems there, because the game just has some kind of technical hiccup in that area; everyone I've talked to about it experiences the same. There's plenty of places like this that just aren't optimized well or whatever.

Point is, where you're doing your testing matters, too! Make sure you're someplace that even can have stable FPS in the first place. If you're doing your testing in an inherently problematic area, then you might be blaming the poor performance on your PC when in reality it's a bug or whatever with ESO itself. Some areas just run poorly no matter what.
    (Sorry I don't have more specific/technical knowledge to offer! If nothing else I'm trying to help by bumping your topic ;) )

I used to test things in Belkarth, personally.
    But that was because I liked the music there, not for any quasi-scientific reasons. ;P

Oh this is a interesting point of view... and Yes I'm at Raper's March, in town of Rawl'ka... it is a problematic town... but I have only 30fps... I'll try in other place, thanks
  • Oldaraness
    Oldaraness
    ✭✭
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    Forgive me if already covered. In the game video settings there are three sliders for particles, distance and something else.

I turned all three down to about 40%. Also turn off Distortion and maybe even Bloom.

In the Nvidia Control Panel under Global Settings change the Power Management from Optimal to Prefer Maximum Performance. Under Vertical Sync change it to FAST. Click on Apply.

Once that is done click on the top of the Nvidia Control Panel on Program Settings and make sure eso64.exe is selected and set the GPU settings to exactly what was done above if not already changed.

For the most part the rest of the Nvidia Control Panel settings are good to go.

My old system is an 1800X with dual 1080 Ti EVGA SC cards running at 3440x1440. Everything is set to ultra or high. I usually max out at 100 FPS (Gsync monitor FPS limit) in most areas especially in dungeon runs. In town it can drop based on population to 60 FPS or so but nothing laggy at all.

I think the biggest video selection that affects performance are the three sliders adjusting particles, viewing distance and whatever the other one is (not in game atm). In my opinion you definitely want to keep the GPU at Prefer Max Performance. This does not make the GPU run at full load, it sets the GPU up so it is instantly ready for full load so it doesn't run hot when not loaded.

Another thing about the Ryzens is the way it auto adjusts the CPU Cores/threads. I use Quick CPU and have it set on High Performance. This unparks all the cores so they are ready to rock n roll instantly. No, your CPU will not run hotter since it's based on loading so no worries there. I highly suggest using Quick CPU. You may be quite surprised by the performance improvement.

In game using a Noctua Air Cooling system for my CPU the CPU temperature rarely exceeds 44C during gaming.

https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu

Good luck!

Thanks, I have already used QuickCPU... I try with your settings (I tried all settings in the world ahahahh) and I hope you have right! Thanks for your suggestions!