The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Server upgrades?

eyesreye
eyesreye
Soul Shriven
I was just on Bislobo's stream and he said that Zeni is upgrading the servers according to a employee.

Can anyone confirm this?
Edited by eyesreye on February 22, 2021 4:54PM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They mentioned this during the chapter reveal, but said that it wouldn't likely be anything that would affect performance.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That could mean so many things. Just updating OS versions for security reasons could qualify.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they say the upgrade is focusing on PvP servers?
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did they say when?
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    SAY YES TO SERVER HARDWARE UPGRADE !
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't set a date they just said they were upgrading this year as they hadn't been upgraded since 2014. They did warn that they didn't expect it to improve performance, but may help during an influx of new players. Such as those they gained during covid's initial outbreak.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alliance locked , reduce the number of group member , disable out group healing , skills and timer standardize , blah blah blah

No doubt ZOS won't upgrade server .
  • McGordon
    McGordon
    ✭✭✭
    People need to understand difference between data sarver upgrade and megaserver upgrade. They will do data server upgrade. It will not reduce lag. We would need megaserver upgrade for that, but nah lets rolk 7 years old servers. And lag wilk keep getting worse
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    McGordon wrote: »
    People need to understand difference between data sarver upgrade and megaserver upgrade. They will do data server upgrade. It will not reduce lag. We would need megaserver upgrade for that, but nah lets rolk 7 years old servers. And lag wilk keep getting worse

They never stipulated which they were updating. In fact arguably they hinted as though they were updating it all. Megaserver is just the name for the technology of linking multiple servers together as eso does. They didn't expect it to have a noticeable difference to performance. Presumably as it isn't a server or its processing power that causes performance issues.

Firstly there is a massive bottleneck where data is received by a data verification company to ensure messages are genuine and aren't persons cheating. Secondly the server just does too much. Many calculations including player position used to be tracked and equated by the client. Now the server has to do everything..
    Edited by relentless_turnip on February 27, 2021 5:28PM
  • McGordon
    McGordon
    ✭✭✭

They never stipulated which they were updating. In fact arguably they hinted as though they were updating it all. Megaserver is just the name for the technology of linking multiple servers together as eso does. They didn't expect it to have a noticeable difference to performance. Presumably as it isn't a server or its processing power that causes performance issues.

Firstly there is a massive bottleneck where data is received by a data verification company to ensure messages are genuine and aren't persons cheating. Secondly the server just does too much. Many calculations including player position used to be tracked and equated by the client. Now the server has to do everything..

They said on stream they will upgrade data servers - cold storage.
    So it may increase overall log in time, but as no calculations etc. Will happen on these servers, no performance increase.
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Just how i know performance improvements would be a disappointment last year i know that ill be the same thing his year. There’s a reason why they didnt straight out said that they will improve servers to fix the performance.
  • McGordon
    McGordon
    ✭✭✭
    Just how i know performance improvements would be a disappointment last year i know that ill be the same thing his year. There’s a reason why they didnt straight out said that they will improve servers to fix the performance.

ZoS January 2021:These year its all about performance
    Also ZoS: we will upgrade servers, it will not improve performance
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They said on stream they will upgrade data servers - cold storage.
    So it may increase overall log in time, but as no calculations etc. Will happen on these servers, no performance increase.

I don't remember them saying "data storage servers" I remember them saying "servers". @ZOS_GinaBruno I appreciate you guys don't normally comment on these things, but could you clarify?
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they spend all year on performance fixes?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we live long enough, tech will catch up with gaming and we'll all look back and say "remember Lag?" And laugh hardly.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we live long enough, tech will catch up with gaming and we'll all look back and say "remember Lag?" And laugh hardly.

The things we will tell our grandkids!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plus with all of the issues with supply being as bad as it is with finding new hardware I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on December 16, 2021 8:30PM