The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Where to start?

alanthemagnanimous_ESO
I wanted to rush to max level so I could do the expansion storylines. Then I realized I could level while doing expansion storylines. So I have two questions: 1) Do I need to do the core game's main story to understand expansion/DLC content, and 2) How do I get to DLC content (I want to do Greymoor, as it's the newest).
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the 'Collections' tab of your user interface. There should be a "Stories" section. Under "Stories" choose the one titled "Gathering Storm", which is the introductory quest for Greymoor.

Once you have the Gathering Storm quest, you can follow the prompt. If you're in the 'wrong zone' then you will be led to a boat or other path to Solitude.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you purchased Greymoor just create a brand new character and you’ll directly start the Greymoor Chapter (otherwise just go to the Collections tab as stated above).

You don’t need to play the base game or other DLCs to understand Greymoor, it’s a new storyline. The same with Elsweyr, you can understand that without having done anything before.

For the other former Chapters... Morrowind and Summerset are part of the Daedric War storyline, so if you go (Orsinium >) Morrowind > Clockwork City > Summerset it would be the best.

And then there’s the base game story dealing with the Planemeld that goes through your alliance‘s zones and culminates in Coldharbour.
    Edited by Seraphayel on February 28, 2021 7:34PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • alanthemagnanimous_ESO
    Bradyfjord wrote: »
    Go to the 'Collections' tab of your user interface. There should be a "Stories" section. Under "Stories" choose the one titled "Gathering Storm", which is the introductory quest for Greymoor.

Once you have the Gathering Storm quest, you can follow the prompt. If you're in the 'wrong zone' then you will be led to a boat or other path to Solitude.

Thanks! Now do I need to do any story to understand the new one?
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to rush to max level so I could do the expansion storylines. Then I realized I could level while doing expansion storylines. So I have two questions: 1) Do I need to do the core game's main story to understand expansion/DLC content, and 2) How do I get to DLC content (I want to do Greymoor, as it's the newest).

You won't need to do the other expansion's 'main quests' to understand Greymoor. There are a few recurring characters from old story lines, but nothing that is required.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a basic order of base game and DLC/Chapter zones.

Base Game: Planemeld Story Arc, starts with the quest "The Hooded Figure"
    1. Main Quest + Your Alliance
    2. Cadwell's Silver
    3. Cadwell's Gold
    Ebonheart Pact: Bleakrock Isle -> Bal Foyen -> Stonefalls -> Deshaan -> Shadowfen -> Eastmarch -> the Rift
    Aldmeri Dominion: Khenarthi's Roost -> Auridon -> Grahtwood -> Greenshade -> Malabal Tor -> Reaper's March
    Daggerfall Covenant: Stros M'kai -> Betnikh -> Glenumbra -> Stormhaven -> Rivenspire -> Alikr Desert -> Bangkorai

Daedric Wars Story Arc:
    Morrowind -> Clockwork City -> Summerset

Year of the Dragon:
    Elswyer (Northern Elsweyr) -> Dragonhold (Southern Elsweyr)

Dark Heart of Skyrim:
    Greymoor (Western Skyrim) -> Markarth (The Reach)

Standalone:
    Craglorn
    Orsinium (Wrothgar)
    Thieves Guild (Hews Bane)
    Dark Brotherhood (Gold Coast)
    Murkmire

The big connections between the base game and the succeeding storyline are recurring characters. If it matters to you that everything makes chronological sense and the characters you've met earlier remember you properly, be aware that some of the NPCs you'll meet in the main quest are heavily featured in Elswyer, Dragonhold, and Greymoor.

On the other hand, the Devs intend for new players to start off in the latest chapter, so if you are willing to overlook a few logical incongruities when you get to "earlier" base game content later, it's really no big deal.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Addon click on the wayshine for more info or download it with minion
    THE QUESTING GUIDE
    wayshrine.png
    • A list of quests compiled where you'll find each major storyline in the game listed in chronological order, (defaulting to order of content release), where you can follow along or even check off your list you may have left uncompleted years ago.
    The Questing Guide Menu Showing the chronological order of quests by zone and a summary of your actions in each quest.
    k8mYzMX.png
    Edited by WiseSky on February 28, 2021 9:27PM
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd want to note that Dark Heart storyline, featuring heavily House Ravenwatch, almost requires Rivenspire questline.
    Doing Unhallowed Grave dungeon story also advised.