The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Verminous Fabricant: what's the REAL animal?

Raltin
Raltin
✭✭✭✭
This is something that's been bothering me forever... All fabricants in the clockwork city are animals from Tamriel with cybernetic upgrades (as opposed to factotums and animunculi, which are fully electronic)... We know pretty much all the species of the various fabricants, with the exclusion of the Verminous (so called not because it is their real name, but because they are numerous and quite the pest problem)... we've never been given the true name of these animals. What are they, what are they called, where do they come from? Given their appearance, I'd wager they're either in the guar or cliff racer family, and come from either Morrowind or Black Marsh... but aside from deductive reasoning, I've not been able to dig anything up as to the origins of these cybernetic animals. Any information that other players can compile on these creatures, or a response from a lore developer, would be amazing.
"Proud purveyor of Cyrodiil Pickles."
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do share the same body type as a Clannfear. But they are not from Tamriel, they are daedra.
    PS | EU
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jackey wrote: »
    They do share the same body type as a Clannfear. But they are not from Tamriel, they are daedra.

Similar body type to clannfear, but with a longer neck, and is a mortal animal, like all the other fabricants. There's many reasons why making fabricants out of daedra wouldn't quite work.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raltin wrote: »
    Jackey wrote: »

Similar body type to clannfear, but with a longer neck, and is a mortal animal, like all the other fabricants. There's many reasons why making fabricants out of daedra wouldn't quite work.

It's an interesting question that is very specific, you could ask r/teslore
    PS | EU
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've wondered the same thing really. These things don't look like anything we've quite seen before on Tamriel. They're like those raptor dinosaurs and have a row of teeth like a Guar. For all we know they could've been like Vvardvarks, an experiment gone wrong.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could be taken from an exsisting animal or it could be an improved upon form of an existing animal. Ex: Sotha took the Haelstrom Lizards and decided to make something resembling a raptor. Kind of like how (If you believe in evolution) Dinosaurs evolved from small lizards
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Seht was just messing around and made a thing
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's a fabricant of a now-extinct animal.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verminous Fabricants look like Clanfear and they make Clanfear noises.

Fabricants are created, not begotten. So are daedra. Perhaps the two follow a similar course of development, a vestige of some kind giving a form to some Creatia. Perhaps Sotha Sil took an existing process and "improved" it. It's kind of what he does.

We are told nothing about what goes on in the fabrication pods where Verminous Fabricants form, but we see that they are filled with liquid. Perhaps that liquid is Clockwork Creatia, similar to Chaotic Creatia. Perhaps those big pools of oily water we encounter in CwC contain unrefined Clockwork Creatia. Clean water is clearly not the only product that's going to be coming out of the Halls of Regulation. Perhaps refined Clockwork Creatia is also produced.

I just made a new character and put the Slag Town Diver skin on her. She's going to be narrated as a Slag - a native of Slag Town. I have been wondering if she might have been created in the lubricant pools, like she's some kind of Clockwork Soul Shriven.
    PC EU
  • Raltin
    Raltin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Verminous Fabricants look like Clanfear and they make Clanfear noises.

Fabricants are created, not begotten. So are daedra. Perhaps the two follow a similar course of development, a vestige of some kind giving a form to some Creatia. Perhaps Sotha Sil took an existing process and "improved" it. It's kind of what he does.

We are told nothing about what goes on in the fabrication pods where Verminous Fabricants form, but we see that they are filled with liquid. Perhaps that liquid is Clockwork Creatia, similar to Chaotic Creatia. Perhaps those big pools of oily water we encounter in CwC contain unrefined Clockwork Creatia. Clean water is clearly not the only product that's going to be coming out of the Halls of Regulation. Perhaps refined Clockwork Creatia is also produced.

I just made a new character and put the Slag Town Diver skin on her. She's going to be narrated as a Slag - a native of Slag Town. I have been wondering if she might have been created in the lubricant pools, like she's some kind of Clockwork Soul Shriven.

We actually do know what goes on in the Fabrication pods. It's the very same process that gives the clockwork apostles their mechanical limbs and cybernetic enhancements whenever they decide to 'upgrade'. They get suspended in animation fluids, and these little animunculi, like nanobots, skitter over them: attaching wires to sinew and nerves as metal replaces the flesh of severed limbs, and they attune the circuitry to the anima of the host body, so that said limbs can respond to their new bearer. Fabricants are created, but not created like daedra are... a mortal creature must first be begotten, and mature, before the fabrication tanks can convert the adult specimen of a mortal creature into a fabricant. We also have a brief description of the Fabrication tank fluids, which are described as some sort of suspended animation fluid that prevents the occupant of the tank from drowning and sustains them. It never once is described as chaotic creatia.

The reason why fabricants, and why the verminous fabricants definitely, aren't daedra is because daedra, when they die, reform their entire physical forms from chaotic creatia, which rebuilds flesh but not metal. If you even bothered to make a fabricant out of a daedra, it'd be a waste of time, because when they die, they'll reform in their original form in their home waters out in oblivion; normal and non-cybernetic, all the 'damage' the fabrication tank having done to them reversed and restored. At least that's the theory, consistent with what we know of the daedric reformation processes.

Other reasons include:

Fabricant flesh is edible for mortal consumption (daedric flesh and fluids is toxic in most cases to mortal digestive systems),

Sotha Sil having designed the city to be as difficult as possible for daedra to penetrate (why would he fabricate daedra when he's actively trying to keep daedra out... fabricating daedra would just make it easier for other daedra to slip inside the city as their presence actively weakens the barriers Sil put into place, in the very same, albeit weaker, manner oblivion gates and dark anchors weakened the veil and allowed the oblivion crisis and planemeld to be possible),

daedra are already immortal creatures and view themselves perfect (they have no need or want, or even any reason to replace their limbs with mechanical devices, when they have the benefits of true deathless immortality, and would view such augmentation by a mortal god creature like sotha sil to be a perversion of their perfection... even clannfear, who may be bestial, are still sapient to a degree, and have semi-complex thought and culture, despite their animal-like behavior),

we have no accounts of the oil pools and clean water at the water treatment facility in clockwork being chaotic creatia (all water is technically creatia, the blood of padomay, but not all creatia is chaotic creatia, which is the waters of oblivion... from what I think I can remember correctly, clockwork city is positioned in the Mundus somewhere, NOT oblivion, which makes the formation of chaotic creatia there almost impossible, and is another reason why the city is so difficult for daedra to penetrate... thus, we believe clockwork's waters, oily or clean, to be plain old Mundus creatia: normal water) and if it was, unchecked daedric reformations would be triggering the factotums' "Daedric incursion" sensors left and right.
    Edited by Raltin on February 27, 2021 7:27PM
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most probs an animal on some part of Morrowind we ain’t been yet or from another part of nirn.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    SgFKtlX.jpg

If the grey part of this one is the original body, and if the mechancial parts are taken off so it is laying flat on the ground then it reminds me more of a worm or a snake or a serpent - maybe a baby sea serpent since when you wear the Mad Tinkerers armor the Verminous Fabricant that appears at times uses shock damage.

I do like it for the Dunmer I play who does wear the Mad Tinkerers armour - for now it seems when the Fabricant appears and attacks and you have this pet beside you, then its like the spirit or a projection of this pet is the one that attacks :)

edit: maybe moulded after this one

fLuFsHB.jpg
    Edited by Eporem on March 4, 2021 1:59PM