The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why Can't my wife and I start together with same version?

Mijorious
Mijorious
Soul Shriven
Hello,
My wife and I always play our MMO's together but we are confused with ESO. I bought the game through Steam for both of our PC's. I bought the same version for both. I already had it from several years ago but needed to buy hers. I made sure I bought her the same version though. Both games patched and we started.

So now we created our characters and she started on a ship, and I started in a cave with jail cells. There was NO selection on where to start. I thought it was the Race/Class that determined the starting area, but no, it wasn't. We both created the "exact" same race and class character and STILL started in different areas.

How can we play together grouped in the same area? If we can't play together, she won't play, and I wasted my money buying her game. Please help?

Best Answers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO now starts the player according to the most recent Chapter they own. Fortunately, you can play together as soon as you finish the tutorials!

It sounds like your wife has the "new" base game, which now includes the Morrowind Chapter. Her tutorial will start her on a ship, feature an escape from Slaver Island, and when she gets to the town Seyda Neen, she'll be able to travel to meet you from the nearby Wayshrine.

A cave with jail cells sounds like either the old Coldharbor tutorial or the new Greymoor Chapter tutorial. In either case, you'll need to finish up the tutorial and once you are done, you'll be able to travel to meet her from a nearby Wayshrine or just travel to the other player.

If you are in the original Coldharbor tutorial, then your wife can complete that quest herself by talking to the Hooded Figure when she goes to a major town. This will start the Main Quest for her.

To play together, if you friend each other, you can group up or travel to the nearest wayshrine to each other by selecting the other person. You'll just have to finish the tutorial first.

(If you ever find yourself in the same area but you can't see each other, you are probably in seperate instances. Usually traveling out and then back in, or relogging out and in, will solve that. Found this out with my SO. :) )

Good luck questing together. I hope you enjoy it!
    Answer ✓
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the tutorial area, which is usually determined by the latest Chapter for that account.

It sounds like Ms Mijorious has Morrowind Chapter while Mr Mijorious is staring in the base game Wailing Prison.

You can just meet up somewhere in the world, after getting out of the tutorial. The Ms will end up in Seyda Neen, near a wayshrine. When Mr comes out of the tutorial, go to an Alliance major city (Davon's Watch, Daggerfall, or Vulkhel Guard) and have Ms meet up with him there.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Answer ✓
  • Mijorious
    Mijorious
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all, makes perfect sense. Just like buying a base game after several expansions, usually the game "includes" all expansions UP TO the current. My wife got it and I didn't, not having recently purchased the game.

We'll hook up after the tutorial.

Thanks again.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to keep in mind is that, if you don't have the exact same zones unlocked, you won't be able to travel together everywhere in the game. You might want to take a moment to see what zones (DLC and Chapter) are different so you can start getting that resolved.

If you have Greymoor, as Varanis suggests, then you will have to wait for Blackwood, when Western Skyrim becomes a Crown Store zone, or pick up Greymoor for the Ms before that happens.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus