The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Minor Essence Thief set change

ShadowKyuubi
ShadowKyuubi
✭✭✭✭
Herwo,

Just thought I would pop is to suggest a change to an existing stamina set: Essence Thief

The set is actually really good, but just not in a more...shall we say...mechanically challenging fight. Fights where you have to dodge AoE, Cleaves, ect...you get it. The set provides enough resource return for longer fights, without having to worry about heavy attacking a bunch. Plus, the heal is useful sometimes, but not always needed. The straight damage buff is nice. Provides a nice boost, as long as you can get to the essence pool. Which is the main problem with this set...you can't always get to it. It moves a fixed distance away from the target it spawns at...but it can appear in a 360 degree arc, basically anywhere. Which is a problem for some fights. If it spawns and goes in the direction of the tank...then you just can't get to it. The Warrior will cleave you with his "Death by One Thousand (3) Cuts" (quick side note, he rounds up quite a bit, doesn't he?). Z'Maja will mind blast you...and so on...so forth...you get it.

Here is a picture of the pool spawning from an Iron Atronach:
essence-thief-proc.png

As you can see, the pool spawns a distances away from the Atronach. From my understanding, this distance is fixed. However, the issue lies in the fact that it can spawn anywhere around the Atronach. As I described above, this means that the essence proc isn't always accessible in a real fight. So I am asking if you can implement a way to make it more accessible in real fight, because I think the set is useful and quite good actually. I don't have any real suggestions of how to do this, but...maybe make the arc of the spawn smaller. You know...maybe like a 30 degree angle with the center of the arc it can spawn being the player. This way...the idea is that you still have to collect the pool and pay attention...but it makes it easier to get. That is just an idea, but I would fully support anything that others can come up with that may be easier to implement coding wise, that leads to more consistent proc locations...

Here is a parse from some practicing I did with the set. I will also include the setup used.
stamsorc-essence-thief.png

stamsorc-essence-thief-setup.png

Thank you for taking the time to read this, if you did. And any thought/considerations you put into this.

Cheers,
Shadow
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been hoping that they'd "fix" this set for like... what, 4 years now? :P

Like you say, it offers a worthwhile buff, but getting it is just plain disadvantageous more often than not. I like the idea of this set, but I just can't bring myself to use it as is.

30 degrees sounds far too narrow, though; that'd basically guarantee the buff lands on you, but with unnecessary extra steps. It either needs to be ~120 degrees toward the player if we have to keep the randomness/collection aspect, or it keeps the 360 BUT allows the buff to automatically go to any ally (which would turn it into an interesting support set, which I'm onboard with personally). That's how I'd tweak the set, personally.

Either way, +1 for getting this set looked at again. I'd love it to become viable; god knows I've run WGT enough times to want more of that loot to be worthwhile!

Edited by GreenHere on February 25, 2021 6:03AM
  • ShadowKyuubi
    ShadowKyuubi
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I've been hoping that they'd "fix" this set for like... what, 4 years now? :P

Like you say, it offers a worthwhile buff, but getting it is just plain disadvantageous more often than not. I like the idea of this set, but I just can't bring myself to use it as is.

30 degrees sounds far too narrow, though; that'd basically guarantee the buff lands on you, but with unnecessary extra steps. It either needs to be ~120 degrees toward the player if we have to keep the randomness/collection aspect, or it keeps the 360 BUT allows the buff to automatically go to any ally (which would turn it into an interesting support set, which I'm onboard with personally). That's how I'd tweak the set, personally.

Either way, +1 for getting this set looked at again. I'd love it to become viable; god knows I've run WGT enough times to want more of that loot to be worthwhile!

Yeah, 30 degrees is a bit too narrow. Honestly, I just threw out a number. But I really like the idea of it being a support set. Maybe it has a wider arc, 180 degrees (centered on the player), but anybody in the group can stand in the pool to get the buff...That would probably be OP, but so, so, so worth it...
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is funny is that, for anyone who is not aware, Essence Thief used to be even worse than it is now, the essence could proc very far from the target, across the battle area, including in unreachable places - this rendered the set next to useless in content because it just wasnt practical to keep the buffs up... and thats on the assumption you could find the essence on screen in busy content, which was not always possible.

Now, the essence procs really near you and it requires far less effort to locate, get to and take.

Thats the trade off really, it takes time and effort to use... if it was easy to maintain up time, then the set could be a tad OP, I suspect.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this set, it is amazing for solo play. One of my favorite sets. Probably one of the best sets for solo stamina builds (at least for PvE).
    Of course, it provides a huge sustain and dmg buff for an "active" play-style. Unlike other proc sets, it does not do the job for you, as it is not a free dmg proc - but rather a substantial dmg boost for your skills & attacks.
    So, as long as you "dance" to this set's mini-game - you get rewarded for it. It is kiss-curse, risk & reward set. Sure, sometimes you can not get the buff, but it is the part of the course. Especially if you deal dmg with a range ability (like bow) as Essence spawns away from you, near your target. But as long as you are circling your target - with some practice - you are almost guaranteed to get the buff.

Since they removed % proc chance (yep, this set had it lol), Essence Thief got a new live.

Tbh. I do not know what can be improved with this set without making it overloaded.

Btw. It is not mentioned on PTS notes, but they changed visuals of this set - from a bluish Essence to green one.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 25, 2021 11:34AM
  • SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Essence theif has always been a dualing set. It is really strong in small scale PvP. It isn't currently seeing much use as it is over shadowed by Malacath but in dueling tournaments that ban Malacath it is used alot. Any changes to this set should consider the impact on dueling because it would be very easy for this set to become overturned.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also fun to pair essence thief with malacath in pvp ^^