The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should all damage proc sets be nerfed and all the major and minor buffs be reverted?

Scarkii
Scarkii
✭✭✭
"Even the slightest amount of courage can change the tides of War"
Former DK main
Characters - Templar - Sharaji EP/ DK - S'avira EP

Should all damage proc sets be nerfed and all the major and minor buffs be reverted? 37 votes

Yes
43% 16 votes
No
56% 21 votes
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The previous iteration of Major Defile was simply too powerful and game changing to only be available to certain classes/builds. Especially when those particular classes/builds are already strong - top notch, even - with the nerfed versions.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Major and minor buff changes were a good thing. It should have closed the gap between classes some. Warden literally had access to most of them and stamcro had major defile etc... Problem was we went straight into a meta where stats were irrelevant and net effect was obscured.

Proc sets scaling with offensive stats should be a thing imo. I think next patch you'll be able to play a stat build and maintain some relevance.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major and minor buff changes were a good thing. It should have closed the gap between classes some. Warden literally had access to most of them and stamcro had major defile etc... Problem was we went straight into a meta where stats were irrelevant and net effect was obscured.

Proc sets scaling with offensive stats should be a thing imo. I think next patch you'll be able to play a stat build and maintain some relevance.
    Stat-based builds for Stamina classes are already relevant right now. That's not to say that they're stronger than proc setups, but they're certainly viable. On the other hand, I think Magicka Sorcerer is the only Mag class I've seen that was remotely dangerous without procs.

Edit:
    I should mention that I'm not necessarily dead set against the idea of proc set damage scaling with offensive stats, as long as ZOS could get it tuned right (which I think may be more effort than they're willing to put in). Gameplay would be improved if we had better class balance and the option of wearing some procs alongside stat sets, rather than just stacking as many procs as possible and calling it good.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on February 22, 2021 5:41PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think next patch you'll be able to play a stat build and maintain some relevance.

Next patch you will be able to play a proc build with even higher ability damage. If you want to look at it from the other direction.

• Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff the ZOS damage proc sets, but make it so they won't work against players. ;)
    PS | EU
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, nothing should get nerfed but one thing. Procsets are only as popular because Malacaths Ring of Brutality works on them, and since Procs can't crit at all you don't even sacrifice anything but get 25% free damage.
    The best thing to do without touching the Procsets themselves, since they are pretty well balanced on their own would be excluding them from Malacath. That would force Procplayers to build more for damage, which in the same breath would damage the Tank, healthstack Meta.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • baselesschart
    baselesschart
    ✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    No, nothing should get nerfed but one thing. Procsets are only as popular because Malacaths Ring of Brutality works on them, and since Procs can't crit at all you don't even sacrifice anything but get 25% free damage.
    The best thing to do without touching the Procsets themselves, since they are pretty well balanced on their own would be excluding them from Malacath. That would force Procplayers to build more for damage, which in the same breath would damage the Tank, healthstack Meta.

Malacath does need a slight nerf. But they still need to redesign procs, give them back the ability to crit and scale their damage off of your offensive stats so you can't build tanky and do lots of damage. I've said it a million times and I'll keep saying it until its fixed, sets should not offer you damage that you don't have to build for. Sets should honestly be a mere amplification to your damage and skills that is proportional to your offensive ability.
    A fairly mediocre nightblade that occasionally kills people
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    I think next patch you'll be able to play a stat build and maintain some relevance.

Next patch you will be able to play a proc build with even higher ability damage. If you want to look at it from the other direction.

Who's using abilities on a proc build🤷 most just heal or block you to death 😂
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭

The proc sets are hitting significantly less in the pts.

ZAAN
    Live = 2700
    PTS = 2100

Vateshran
    Live = 3400
    PTS = 2700

Let's see what will happen.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Outside the Malacath Band, proc sets are dependent on offensive penetration to bypass the target's defenses; hence, becoming more effective. Players may need to build in offensive penetration to improve proc set damage or be satisfied wielding Sharpened + 2h/DW Maces since the CP 2.0 offers less than 1/3 the penetration on what's Live. I feel this will impact the actual effectiveness of proc sets but not to the degree their useless.

For example, a heavy armor 33.1 cap resistance (50%) would still have about ~30% damage reduction versus all the proc sets, and further reduced by CP 2.0 ~4/14% and by the ~7% damage reduction while under CC immunity. Plus, m/M protection and the ~3% damage reduction from sets offer player damage reduction. Malacath Band maybe tempered under the new 2.0 CP system, however, the real impact wouldn't be known until Update 29 goes Live.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, this. Proccdmg is too easy, free and proccs dont lagg.
    On topic: Im all for nerfing proccsets/proccdmg, but the minor and major buff nerfs I liked, because it brought more balance to the classes because some classes (warden & necro) have basically every minor and major buffs available to them in their class kits while the vanilla classes do not.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

Sadly, this. Proccdmg is too easy, free and proccs dont lagg.
    On topic: Im all for nerfing proccsets/proccdmg, but the minor and major buff nerfs I liked, because it brought more balance to the classes because some classes (warden & necro) have basically every minor and major buffs available to them in their class kits while the vanilla classes do not.

One of the most important problems with proc sets and dots that people neglect, a proc set magdk in the lag works perfectly and becomes the absolute best class no question because of hoe hard landing direct damage abilities becomes in the lag coupled with breaking a CC as buggy as petrify. Landing hits with every melee based build becomes near impossible, spammables like wrecking blow and surprise attack are the worst. Abilities like blastbones will literally stand still and disintegrate and corpses just don't register for abilities like tether in bad lag. With how poorly the servers consistently are, balancing a fixing issues whilst expecting heavy open world large group lag should 100% be accounted for in balancing and design at this point.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »

Malacath does need a slight nerf. But they still need to redesign procs, give them back the ability to crit and scale their damage off of your offensive stats so you can't build tanky and do lots of damage. I've said it a million times and I'll keep saying it until its fixed, sets should not offer you damage that you don't have to build for. Sets should honestly be a mere amplification to your damage and skills that is proportional to your offensive ability.

the same needs to be done with poisons and glyphs, thats why a group of thumbless potatoes could still light attack you to death even before the proc set buff.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The proc sets are hitting significantly less in the pts.

ZAAN
    Live = 2700
    PTS = 2100

Vateshran
    Live = 3400
    PTS = 2700

Let's see what will happen.

Sounds right, but all damage is seeing a reduction in the % damage buffs and a a bit less penetration, from CP. You should see an equal reduction in ability damage, except....they added 1000 sp/wep damage base to compensate.
    Is it enough to make proc builds not worth it? Yep, we well see.